• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

starflite pics

aaronmt

Im currently stripping the interior and wet sandining the outside

Attachments

• checkmate8.JPG
    checkmate8.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 89
  • checkmate9.JPG
    checkmate9.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 95
here is the jackplate installed

Attachments

• checkmate7.JPG
    checkmate7.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 51
  • checkmate6.JPG
    checkmate6.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 51
here are some outside pics minus the windhield i think im going to have it tinted just slighty

Attachments

• checkmate.JPG
    checkmate.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 74
  • checkmate4.JPG
    checkmate4.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 68
more pics

not the best pics but seeing this is my first time ill be getting better at doing this shortly

Attachments

• checkmate8.JPG
    checkmate8.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 38
  • checkmate3.JPG
    checkmate3.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 50

i wasnt a 100% on the color when we got it but were changing the carpet from burgandy to grey, as well as the seats no longer have a burgandy stripe there light grey with a dark grey insert. We are also changing the guages to a more modern white style. We purchased the boat from a family guy that should have had a bayliner capri , he absolutet neglected this boat, on the good side is it does have low hours and has never seen salt water yet.:surf: .

I will be ruibuilding the seats this week i already have the new covers from checkmate. They look so nice id feel guilty putting them on old rotted wood.

aaronmt said:
I will be ruibuilding the seats this week i already have the new covers from checkmate. They look so nice id feel guilty putting them on old rotted wood.

can you post some pics of the work you do to the seats? I need to redo my brothers v-mate seats. what did checkmate charge for covers?

Seat rebuild pics

gmiller253 said:
can you post some pics of the work you do to the seats? I need to redo my brothers v-mate seats. what did checkmate charge for covers?
Gmiller go to the Overhaul section and look at Wickedrister's Winter Project pics. You can see a Checkmate bucket stripped all the way down to the glass shell. The wood under the bottom was way hard to removed with out hurting the fiberglass track it rides in. Other than that it wasn't hard to rebuild. I glassed in new bottoms, new nailer, made new seat bottoms. Reused the old foam and had them covered. Save your foam! If the new covers don't come with foam you will need to reuse it or use it for a pattern. You may also want to think about a drain hole. I left a small void in the center of the nailer and angle drilled a hole in each seat so water could get out rather than pool up in them.

aaronmt, are you wet sanding the gelcoat? if so what grit are you using to do that? does it bring the shine back on the gelcoat? thanks -shane

I started sanding it with 600 to get it ready for clear but after discussing with a buddy we decided we should try buffing it. The sides of the boat are perfect other then the gray. The steps ive gone through are 600 then 1000 then 1500 not sure if 600 is needed for most but to remove the years of neglect i decided thats where id start.I wont be buffing it yet , becouse im taking it to have the motor tuned on a dyno seeings its hard starting when its cold, ill post more pics soon . Aaron

I've got the same boat ('86 i think) same colors and I can't let her see this she'll be "greeen" with envy. your boat is effin good looking keep up the good work. P.S. starflight...... aka the best checkmate ever...

Hey speedisgood Im pretty sure you spell Starflite not Starflight. I miss spell all the time, so no big deal just a FYI.:sssh: aaronmt nice looking check!:banana:

Back