• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bimini on a Mate

Enticer1

Well I finally did it, looks like a freakin hang glider now. I didn't want to cause it broke my heart to drill holes in that metalflake. The sun in Florida is brutal and if I hadn't got the top for free the Enticer would still be naked. Only 2 screws and 5 min's. to remove so I can live with that. I guess no more WOT for now or gettin air will take on a whole new meaning. On a last note. I met another Checkmate owner sat. nite. " She " was pullin in to the dock at Rick's at the same time I pulled in on my scooter. 83Predictor told me that it was a Sportfire. The owner didn't even know what model she had. Its still neat to see other mates in my home water. Everyone have a Great and Safe summer.

Doug in Tampa (Enticer1):cheers

Hey Doug, How high dose your bimini stand? and were did you mount it?
I just ordered one 5ft long, 30 inches high. SHould be in on Friday.

Big Bimini

Yo Mike, its about 6 ft front to back and I can stand under it. Thus the hang glider look. The mounts are about the middle of my windshield side wings or about even with my engine control. I didn't have to mount any strap hooks because the rear cleats and the forward bow rail are in the perfect spot.
Doug
Hey Doug, How high dose your bimini stand? and were did you mount it?
I just ordered one 5ft long, 30 inches high. SHould be in on Friday.

Standing room is a good thing but, I purchaced the low profile top (actually made for a comp. ski boat) for max. shade. I hope I can run at least 35-40 with it up. I was also planning on using the cleats.

No Pic's yet

Zstevens, I had been tossin the idea around for a while and when I got the top for free that made up my mind. I'm not thrilled about the look but the Florida sun is just to much. When the top is down it lays just behind the rear seat and with the boot zipped on it doesn't even block the fuel fill cap. I just installed it this past sat. and haven't used it yet. Sunday my son took me out in his boat and the Bimini on his Stingray was a nice touch. I'll try and get some pictures next time I get her out.
Doug:cheers :cheers
you have any pics of finished product top up/down ive been tossin idea of gettin top too.

I'm about to do it also. I have a 2 year old son, so it's tough to get the family out without a top. It's brutal here in the summer.

I was planning on getting one high enough for me to stand under, but I was concerned about the height also. My boat only has about 20 inches of freeboard, so I wanted at least a 48" high top (I'm 6'2" - so I'd still have to duck a little). I know a lower top would perform better, but I don't want to have to crawl around under it.

Pulse 186 Bimini

I put a 6' long 48" high bimini on my Pulse 186 last season and it is a lifesaver in the sun. I don't do any speed with it up since it will just grab air and stress the straps. I just fold it back when we are done hanging out. I use the front and rear cleats to hold the straps, the Pulse has bow cleats just forward of the windshield saving another 8 holes in the deck. I thought about putting rear brace poles on it so it doesn't lay across the rear of the back seat but I haven't decided, seems it would look more like a pontoon boat with a bimini laid back in the rear. Here is a picture of it folded back, I don't have any pics of it up but it sure doesn't help the nice lines of the boat. I had to buy larger pelican snaps to in order to use the cleats, the snap rings that came with the bimini were too small to fit over the cleat. I just cut the stitching on the closed end of the strap and then re-sewed the closed end of the new one. Strangely enough I bought the stainless snaps at Home Depot in the rope section.

This was a definate requirement on our boat, my wife has a very fair complexion and the skin Dr. (I call the Dr. "Dr. Cutter") always wants to remove something and checks us every year now. Wear your sunscreen this summer!

Attachments

• Check Pulse 1.jpg
    Check Pulse 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 46
I made a bimini for my Eluder, but I purposely made it to small to stand under. I figured it's most use would be when you are sitting underneath it drinking a beer, or eating. I used support poles in the rear, so when collapsed it stands on it's own above your head, but it can also sit flat on the deck.

EDIT: Manatee River boater here, sup?

Hey Wonderllama, you gonna be out on the boat this weekend? I want to put my boat in on the Manatee this weekend.

we have 4mnth old ,6 yr old , n 11 yr old @ times i or my wife wud like it but eh until wer caught out in rain i may hold off til must have !

Back