• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New Convincor....what a weekend!

Took the "new" 1999 Convincor 259 out this weekend. I got about 10 miles from where I dropped it in Sat and it just shut off, no warning, no restart! The wife and kids had to be onboard! Called a buddy for a tow after working for an hour to try to get it started (fuel pump not running), his 30' Donzi had just broken down BUT he borrowed a boat and got me in. WHAT a night. On the way home I got pulled over and got a ticket for the lights not working on the trailer.
Found out today that the tether (sp) had gone bad so I just bypassed it. I took the boat back out today, went about 15 miles to St Michaels for dinner. The boat ran awesome. It has a 454 Magnum with a Whipple supercharger. It will cruise at 3500 and run about 50mph (gps) like it is just idling! We got back and I took a friend out, we ran it up to about 3800 (61 mph gps) after about 15 mins, it started to spark knock bad and temp was up to about 180, backed it off to 2800 and it stopped pinging after about 5 mins. The tune that Whipple supplies really sucks IMHO. I am going to install a F.A.S.T. XFI system over the winter (or a N/A 502!) to take care of the tuning myself. Here are a couple shots after I pulled it out!

Attachments

• conv1.JPG
    conv1.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 50
  • conv2.JPG
    conv2.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 50
what does your screen name stand for 8secv6?

sounds like you need a little tuning on that boat, should be a good runner the way its setup, once tuned well.

glad to hear you got it out, sorry to hear of the issues!!!

what does your screen name stand for 8secv6?

sounds like you need a little tuning on that boat, should be a good runner the way its setup, once tuned well.

glad to hear you got it out, sorry to hear of the issues!!!

I've had that screen name for many years, I ran 8 second 1/4 miles in a Buick GN waaaay back when. I eventually got the car down to 7.25 at 188.25 using a turbocharged V6, I never changed the screen name! Buicks are what we do, this whole boat thing that is supposed to relieve stress only adds to it!

Video of my car on the front page of www.anderson-performance.com quickest and fasteat single turbo Buick Grand National in the world!

They are, he said he had the record for a single tourbo powered GN. Many swap out to a TT SBC or a TT 4.3 or built TT3.8 etc...

I never had one but I have seen alot of them run up here at are local track. Them cars are silly fast bone stock. My personal opinion I think the GN was the baddest muscle car ever made that was affordable by the consumer.

thats sweet!!

i have been keeping my eye out for a TT or GN for sale, stock or modified. something for a driver not just the strip.
Ive always loved those things!!
I was going to assume thats what the name meant but I didnt guess the rest!!

let me know if anyones got something decent for sale.

EightSecV6, Holy turbo! I took a ride in a Grand Nation when I was in High school. I will never forget it! My neck still hurts 19 years later. Sorry here about the bad luck. I looking to move out of my Starflite and into 24-26 footer. I have had such good luck with my Mercury 225 efi Im afraid to leave it! I/O can be a pain in the ass to work on. Up side down that is.

boatn70, Hows your 242 sport run for you? I thinking about ZT240 for my first I/O Checkmate.

I cant find the pic but, I know someone that had a TT G/N engine/911 Trans strapped to the back of a 1967 Bug. Lots of squre tubed frame was added.

I bought a new Grand National in 1987 and sold in 1998. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for selling it! Put a Kenne Bell chip, 160 thermostat, converter test pipe, K&N open air filter, and a huge transmission cooler on it. Loved to eat 5.0 mustangs, IROC's, T/A's, Vette's, plus a lot of older Muscle cars! I pulled my Diplomat outboard with it like it was'nt even there. I,ll get another one someday. There is still a few out there with low miles on them. A couple of guys I worked with at GM bought 2 of them, one to drive, and one to save! GM needs to get smart and build cars like that again!

check243 im w/ you on bigger boat whats the ups n downs on persuader,zt or convincor ? i run the river n some shallows alot n not sure i want more than 23' which still keeps me in o/b range ,but wife wants the sun deck ! im ok w that :D!!

i really love my 242 and have boated in all sorts of water. the river and lake nearby here average 6-7 ft deep and are only 3 in some spots...just have to watch the guage upon take off.

i hate to do it but i probably will sell my 242 in the spring, i have two little boys who want to tube and water ski and hit the beach more often. something a little smaller i think will help me out. plus, i just found out i have some lower back issues and i have some issues getting in and out when its on the trailer.

if you know of anyone looking for a 242 w/ the stock 454-330hp in it for the 27000 OBO range let me know. I would even do a trade of some sort.

b70

My boss had three in his garage. One was his, and he bought his son's each one. One was pre-modded to hell, one they had a new engine built for, and the other sits completely stock.

The stock one ran a 13.3 I believe.

The modded ones ran a 10.1 and an 11.2!

Acer2428 - Just noticed your avatar, LOL. I love it!!!!! I have never feared an election like I do this one. I'm debating stocking up on ammo now in case Hillary goes in office so that I'm ready for the revolution lol.

I'm a "gun enthusiast" to say the least. ( I chose ALL of the expensive hobbies, trucks, cars, boats, and guns)

If she gets elected to office, I'm taking out a loan and buying all the crap I know I'll never be able to purchase again.

Back