• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Jack Plate Mod for Pulse 170

Rob B

Staff member
I've added a Jackplate to the pulse 170 similiar to JW's setup on his old pulse171. Here's a looky at the 200 HP mercury hanging off the back.

107_0731.jpg

107_0729.jpg

107_0732.jpg

107_0727.jpg

Sure brings back memories! Checkmate gave us JUST enough steering cable for 6" setback, and boy were those two cables tight! :p

Now close off those top gearcase intake holes, or add the scoops and jack that motor up!

P.S., my splashwell was never that dirty...:D

Sure brings back memories! Checkmate gave us JUST enough steering cable for 6" setback, and boy were those two cables tight! :p

Now close off those top gearcase intake holes, or add the scoops and jack that motor up!

I was getting worried when i swung the motor back, those cables become taunt. The cl of the prop was at or just above the pad. I actually let it down a bit. I think i'll try scoops, not sure about plugging holes.Oh the splashwell that's the residue from buffing that black out, I haven't clean it yet.:eek:

I didnt have that lower unit, but I know my 4-hole XR6 lower unit would start to lose water pressure around that height. Yours will lose it sooner. It's most noticeable when you trim it out to get the bow high, so just keep your eye on the WP gauge and you'll be OK. I raised the motor until the pressure got erratic at WOT and best trim, then lowered it down until the pressure stayed strong.
I forgot, where did you get the temp and wp gauges?

I didnt have that lower unit, but I know my 4-hole XR6 lower unit would start to lose water pressure around that height. Yours will lose it sooner. It's most noticeable when you trim it out to get the bow high, so just keep your eye on the WP gauge and you'll be OK. I raised the motor until the pressure got erratic at WOT and best trim, then lowered it down until the pressure stayed strong.
I forgot, where did you get the temp and wp gauges?

When i get the water pump issue straighten out, i'll take the boat out to adjust the JP. I'll start about 3.5" below the pad and work my way up.

That should be 1 Rocken fun boat, with a 200 and JP.I've been running with my steering cables that tight for almost 10 years now without any trouble. Its a little tuff but if the wife can drive all day then theres really no proplem.

Have fun with her.You might of seen this already. Thier about the same.

83739502209.jpg

That should be 1 Rocken fun boat, with a 200 and JP.I've been running with my steering cables that tight for almost 10 years now without any trouble. Its a little tuff but if the wife can drive all day then theres really no proplem.

Have fun with her.You might of seen this already. Thier about the same.

83739502209.jpg

She will fly, i hoping w/ a setup similar to JW's i'll see 75 mph w/GPS. Merc you've got one nice boat. I like those colors. :thumb:Yes i've seen that before.
I've also got the steering pretty tight as well. I had a bunch of slop before. it.

Btw where are you guys getting those tubes/covers to hide the cables that go to the motor? I like the clean look.

The clean look comes from black plastic wire covers from your local auto store and black plastic zip ties, pretty simple but gives a great look.

Today I purchase the scoops from a Mercury Dealer. They actually had them in stock. For those that are interested in the scoops, they're called "High Speed Water Pickup" part #17280A2. I'm hoping to install them tomorrow. Now that i've added water temp and pressure gauges, water pump, thermostats and a jack plate hopefully i can get a few runs this weekend and play w/ the setup. Here's what they look like not installed.

Attachments

• 107_0766.JPG
    107_0766.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 107_0767.JPG
    107_0767.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 134
Cool, thanks for the reminder and the pix! I'll probably be needing those for my 2.0 135 or future motors. I'm kinda looking for a 6" CMC used........................

Anytime JW. I've learn alot from fellow members so i try to contribute when i can. When ordering those scoops give the Mercury Dealer the part #. Otherwise they don't have a clue what you're talking about. Here's what the scoops look like installed on the LU.

Attachments

• 107_0769.JPG
    107_0769.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 107_0770.JPG
    107_0770.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 22
Looking good. I looked for a set of those for my lower unit. They don't make them for the older ones. I have a removable plastic insert, not the cast in holes.

I am planning on testing with the stock lower unit. I know what it ran before before the pad install. After I get the baseline I will plug the top 2 holes and go up a bit more. The final test will be the installation of the bob's nose cone and low water pick up. Then test again.

Back