• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1430 miles later...I have a nice stariner!!!

Needafunboat

So I made it. When I walked into he PO's garage, I knew it was going to be OK- he had it cleaned up very nicely, had the garage heated up and seemed like he was about to break into tears. Everything checked out - no water or real sun damage. Everytihing solid... We ran it on muffs (it actually got over freezing in MN that day!). Only thing that worries me is the compression was slightly lower on the port side bank than the starboard side. About 105 vs. 97. Really hard to tell exactly though and still good enough that I'm not too worried.

Actually got very lucky with the weather, just minimal salt spray - it was mostly dry the whole way. Wisconsin had some crazy stretches with cops every few miles

I got most of the road-scum off of it and am going through it closely. It is alot nicer looking than these pics. show. Those marks on the carpet are actually on the camera lens. The boat looks great for 20 yrs old. Orig carpet does show a good bit of wear (more than my sportfire). But overall fine and I do think the boat has been garaged most of the time. Really a nice looking boat - you should have seen the looks on the road- towing that boat in Feb at semi-stupid speeds..

The starliner layout is just great - very little unused space. A 21' boat is longer than I had estimated... had to really shuffle stuff around to fit it in.

I'll post a few more pics later -pretty tired right now. But fI'm a happy starliner owner!! Will be posting the sportfire shortly.

Thanks for all of the the advice,
Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 62
cool, looks good, glad it worked out for you. we should get together this year with the boats.

Ok, this is scary. That is within 50 miles of hofar i traveled to get my Persauder this weekend. I went through Canada only because i had a ski race to coach in N.E. Pa on Sat. and left from there, going through niagara falls, ontario then north of detroit to Houghton Lak Mi. Though my boat will take some cleaning, it is very sound and has low original miles with only 2 owners before me. So my 03 Grand got 17.5 mpg going out and 11.5 coming home :irked: But it towed well! That Starliner looks nice! I'll say this, you have allot more room than i do, that i/o eats up space!

I neglected to snap pix before i stuffed my newly acquired Mate in a warehouse for detailing and upgrades. Here are some from the previous owners ad...

persuader1.png

persuader2.png

Great looking boat ! I get those same lines in the carpet on my boat. It must be the reflection of the flash off the windshield or windshield frame.

Attachments

• helm and bow.jpg
    helm and bow.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 11
Looks nice winter!! Now I remember that one - from Craigslist I think. Yeah - amazing what we do for these boats! That's pretty good mileage towing. My company owned expedition (with the 6 speed auto) got just shy of 18 going out - I averaged a solid 80+ in MI and probably 75 to 80 the rest of the way. Nearly same speeds going back - kept it under 85 though and got 11.5mph. I was amazed how nicely the trailer towed - didn't feel it too much at all.

We're supposed to get 4-6" of snow tonight so I had to get the boat into it's spot (half in my driveway, half in the mulch with the tire on a 2x12). Luckily boaters world had a nice roadwarrior 21' OB cover in stock and on sale. The 2 poles I had and one fiberglass slat should keep water from pooling. For a low priced cover, it's pretty nice - very good strap system and extremely tight elastic - it comes down almost to the trailer, so it's well protected.

I forgot to say that the PO comes out as I'm hitching up with a very old, unopened box: "Hey do you want this or should I just throw it away? " (I say what is it?) -"It's a bow cover that came with the boat but I never wanted to drill the holes" ('uh yeah, toss it in the truck!!). Boat has a 26P trophy and a 23p aluminum prop - both perfect, I don't the the Al prop has been on it. Also has a fishfinder (aka depth gage for me), a big amp and some goofy outdoor bookshelf speakers mounted in the side storage areas. They need to come out, but I'm not sure where to mount surface-mount speakers. Any ideas?

I also found the original checkmate owners manuals, the bill of sale from owner #`1 to owner #2, receipt and warranty card for the 1997 motor. Pretty neat stuff.

Did I mention it's SNOWING right now... spring seems so so far away and the snugly covered big dark red boat in my driveway is not helping!!

THanks for all of the positive comments, I'll post some better pix - it really looks nicer than the pics in my dark garage show. Curt - yeah, I'll make it up there one weekend, sounds fun!

Doh! I'll 'uh use extreme fatigue as my excuse for the original typo. Now why I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out... 'hmmm - I'll think of something...

Back