• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Speaker Mounting Question

groundloop

I'm thinking ahead here. I'll be putting a pair of speakers in the front bulkhead of my Eluder (to drown out the screaming passengers in the bow when I open up the throttle :D).

Would I gain anything by putting those speakers in enclosures (which I could incorporate into the backside of the bulkhead)? Or just mount the speakers in the bulkhead and leave it at that?

ALSO, I'm looking for some speakers to put in the rear - I'll probably build enclosures that will fit under the gunwales behind the front seats. I'm thinking some 6x9's for around $100 for the pair - any recommendations? I'm not going to sink much money into this part of the boat, but would like to end up with a clean sounding system. I'm using the stereo that the previous owner had bought, a Clarion CMD4 marine unit with around 50 watts per channel as I recall.

Last edited:
I'm thinking ahead here. I'll be putting a pair of speakers in the front bulkhead of my Eluder (to drown out the screaming passengers in the bow when I open up the throttle :D).

Would I gain anything by putting those speakers in enclosures (which I could incorporate into the backside of the bulkhead)? Or just mount the speakers in the bulkhead and leave it at that?

ALSO, I'm looking for some speakers to put in the rear - I'll probably build enclosures that will fit under the gunwales behind the front seats. I'm thinking some 6x9's for around $100 for the pair - any recommendations? I'm not going to sink much money into this part of the boat, but would like to end up with a clean sounding system. I'm using the stereo that the previous owner had bought, a Clarion CMD4 marine unit with around 50 watts per channel as I recall.

I'm not at home to post a pic but you can look on my profile at my eluder album if you want and see what I did, they sound great mounted like that, as for the 6x9s the only spot I could fit them was under the dash, you can also see a pic of that on there, they also sound good there. total cost was $150 for all 4 speakers and the 6x9 enclosures. They are sony by the way.

Good Luck.

Thanks. The speakers you have up front look like they might be the same as what I've got (they were purchased by the boat's previous owner), so it's good to hear that they work well. And that's exactly what I've got in mind for mounting them.

I'm not positive yet if I can make 6x9's fit where I want them to go, I made the flotation boxes a couple of inches lower than stock so hopefully that will make the difference. The cap is still hanging from the rafters in my garage while I do the wiring, so can't get an accurate measurement yet.

Thanks. The speakers you have up front look like they might be the same as what I've got (they were purchased by the boat's previous owner), so it's good to hear that they work well. And that's exactly what I've got in mind for mounting them.

I'm not positive yet if I can make 6x9's fit where I want them to go, I made the flotation boxes a couple of inches lower than stock so hopefully that will make the difference. The cap is still hanging from the rafters in my garage while I do the wiring, so can't get an accurate measurement yet.

my opening was about 3/4 of an inch to small so you should be ok with a couple extra inches.

Groundloop I put speakers in the front bulkhead in my Jetmate. The bulkhead on my jet, however, starts a little ways under the dash area. My boat is not an open bow.

I did not enclose the back side of those speakers. The open area under the deck seems to help the sound of the speakers. I would mount them and see how they sound first. If they sound good, don't enclose them.

The only other reason I can see for enclosing the backs is if there is a danger of items in the storage area hitting the speakers. ;)

Back