• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Just my opinion

SippyRat

but i sure do like the windscreen vs. the windshield. funny that its bolt-on though and they don't have a deck mold with it built in for a more seamless deck. to be honest i can't believe we don't see more checks with the windscreens

hope the owners of these boats don't mind

checkwindscreen.png

checkwindshield.png

I agree. More modern and racey looking but expensive to buy. Molding it in from the start would be great. Hint Hint on the 26 Convincor deck mold.

but i sure do like the windscreen vs. the windshield. funny that its bolt-on though and they don't have a deck mold with it built in for a more seamless deck. to be honest i can't believe we don't see more checks with the windscreens

hope the owners of these boats don't mind

checkwindscreen.png

checkwindshield.png

Yup, i also prefer the fiberglass windcreen over the framed clear windshield any day, just looks more offshore racer to me. I would'nt kick the Convincor in the second pic out of my boat lift however!

When i see a windshield like that i think of a Baja. A lot of bajas have the fiberglass windshields. I do like the look of the solid white windshield.

I think the fiberglass windscreen on the old 242 Convincor Sport was molded into the deck. I could be wrong.

I like the fiberglass windcsreens too, on the bigger boats. I don't think they would look good on a pulsare. Seems like most hi-perf boats nowdays have glass shields. Seems to me the fiberglass screens were more popular in the 90's. To me the sloped-back short framed glass shield has always been a checkmate trademark.

-Craig

I hate the windscreen on all the Checkmates, I think the tinted window looks better. That blue flame boat looked better when it had a tinted window to me. Plus it seems like the wind in your eye-balls is horrible coming off that windsreen. Seems like they are to short or angled wrong.

The only boat I have seen that I liked with a windscreen was that new twin red O/B Wildman is selling

I haven't had the plessure of runnin in any of the newer big checks but i can see how the wind off of the screen would nail your eyes esp. you taller guys. I am just under 5'10" and most times i find myself trying to look through the glaring glass (which sucks) or stretchin over the top frame which is in my line of sight. Maybe the screen could be a bit taller. I know the silly add on wind diverters work but i don't like the looks of em. Maybe on my next check the screen would be perfect for me. If not i will just get some sick lookin biker goggles that seal around my eyes and hang on!
The windshield does have its place and the angle, height and style is next to none which is more than i can say for any other manufacturer.
At least they're not as big as the formulas. Man those things are like 2.5' - 3' tall!

This screen seems to be the same as the kunkels one. Maybe it's the color that does it for you eh red? She is one bad motha for sure

2de8708d.png

I lean windshield a bit, particularly for a boat Id have, but the offshore racer look is appealing. The non-white (ie Baja) ones are way better!

the zt280 used to have a windscreen built into the mold late nineties i believe. i like both looks. im about 5'11 and stand the whole time anyway so it really does not matter to me and my boat wont do 70 so im not really getting blown away , however if your ever caught in the rain as your moving the glass gives you a little relief.

Attachments

• flying zt280.jpg
    flying zt280.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 14
I am 6'2" and my 253 has a wind screen. My friend's 259 has the glass wind shield. They are both too short for me but it is nice to be able to duck behind the wind shield and be able to see still. I am going to build plexiglass flip ups on stainless grab handles like the newer cats all have for wind sreen. I think they look good and they will allow me to fold them down to use my cockpit cover still.

I am 6'2" and my 253 has a wind screen. My friend's 259 has the glass wind shield. They are both too short for me but it is nice to be able to duck behind the wind shield and be able to see still. I am going to build plexiglass flip ups on stainless grab handles like the newer cats all have for wind sreen. I think they look good and they will allow me to fold them down to use my cockpit cover still.

Thats a good idea!:surf:

I think a black smoked frameless windshield would look best on both the purple flamer and on wildman's red 28'

It's a really long story that I am not going to get into, but I just fell through one of those on a buddies Crownline.

They are really expensive to replace.:shakehead:

The smoked thick plexi glass frameless windshields are a huge safety issue and should have been banned years ago! I have seen many people seriously injured while climbing over these. Wet feet or a rocking boat, you lose your balance and your reaction is to support yourself on the closest thing to you which is the windshield. It breaks, you go down, get up and head in for several stitches. I cant believe they still put them on some new boats.

^^^ YUP, what he said!^^^

I did not require stitches, but I did get a nasty scrape about 1/2" wide by about 8" long running down the back of my ankle. That was 3 weeks ago and it is still not totally heeled.

I also got (thanks to the incredibly clean Mississippi River), what my doctor thought was a staph infection so I was on antibiotics for 10 days.

I was not aware of the issues that were brought up regarding the frameless plexi, thanks for pointing them out. But I still think they give the best look. On the point of people using the winshield as a boost assist to get on the bow, I don't think that is a good idea whether you have a framed or frameless windshield. just sayin.

Back