• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

core..

ballardnboyz

I just searched threads for awhile here, and Im sure its been asked...but I will again,
I have a small area of wet core can this be replaced with anything other than core?..if not where can i get it???

probably could use lots of stuff, but usually people use the balsa cause its light. if the area is real small you could dig it out and replace it with some fiberglass putty (basically premixed resin with chopped strand) or some of the regular or long strand bondo then reglass over the top. why dont you wanna replace it with balsa? its really not to bad to cut it out to fit then glass it in.

how about the cloth to go over it...these places have it, but what am i looking for...seemed to be thicker than cloth??

Hey guy www.mertons.com www.fiberglasssuply.com http://advanced-plastics.com/ www.fiberlay.com www.noahsmarine.com to name a few , and what ever you do........ if you need to buy some core do not buy from Jamestown Dist , because they are very pricey. Ballardnboyz , most likely you will need Scrim , and just curious how big of an area needs to be replaced , and what thickiness is the core ?

ill attach pics later...2 strips at the bottom by the transom, either side of the plywood center... about 4" x 3 ft. Drying out to see how bad anything else is...i had to work at getting the core off from there, so its attached well...but has some moister yet....Scrim??

probably could use lots of stuff, but usually people use the balsa cause its light. if the area is real small you could dig it out and replace it with some fiberglass putty (basically premixed resin with chopped strand) or some of the regular or long strand bondo then reglass over the top. why dont you wanna replace it with balsa? its really not to bad to cut it out to fit then glass it in.

Its not that I didnt...just didnt know if it was a necessity...It looks like i will be though :eyecrazy:... Does the balsa get adhered to the shell first??

look up coops core repair article, you need a few layers of mat and then some heavy roving. Sounds like the same repair i did on mine, make sure you check the plywood in the pad, mine ended up being wet/rotted, but i didnt figure it out until after i had everything fixed and had to cut into my freshly finished work.

Most likely 1708 would be your best bet but my question to you is ...........................what resin are you planning on using Ester's or Epoxy ?

epoxy resin...is that ok?? and its 1/2 inch core....forgive my stupidity...whats 1708??

Last edited:
pics

the first pic shows a dark line...for some reason the mesh had a slice...the good thing is the transom is ok, still solid..but wet now....of course havent seen the top, thats next, getting ready for a some set back

Attachments

• boat repair 003.jpg
    boat repair 003.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 46
  • boat repair 037.jpg
    boat repair 037.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 68
  • boat repair 039.jpg
    boat repair 039.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 41
From Cooperider on how to repair core.http://voices.yahoo.com/how-repair-damaged-balsa-core-old-boat-194125.html

How to Repair a Damaged Balsa Core in Your Old Boat

Coop, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Feb 14, 2007 "Share your voice on Yahoo! websites.
b

There are many affordable old fiberglass boats on the market. Some for as little as a few hundred dollars. Usually these have some kind of damage. Most need repainted, some have a plywood floor that has gotten soft, and needs replaced. Sometimes, when you get that plywood floor removed you notice more damage. This is the point where most people give up and you can get that boat cheap. What they find, is damage to the core of the outer hull. In most cases it is easy to fix, and hey, you already have the floor out of the way so why not. There are different core materials used in the production of fiberglass boats. It is there to increase the thickness of the hull, while trying to keep the weight of the boat to a minimum. One of these core materials is end grain balsa. Yes, the same balsa you used to make model airplanes. But end grained balsa is a highly processed ultra light wood. It give stiffness to the hull. End grained balsa cored hulls have the ability to handle excessive loads.
But sometimes water does find its way between the layers of a fiberglass hull and the core starts to rot. It is a good idea to find the source of the rot, usually it can be traced to a screw that was run through the hull, or a hole that was cut through the hull that was not sealed properly. Water finds its way in and you have rot. I have seen boats almost forty years old with no rot, and boats less than 10 years old that are almost unusable due to excessive rot of the floor and the core. I'm sorry some boats are just doomed from the start. But if you find that old classic boat, don't give up on it just because you find it has some balsa core rot. It can be fixed.
Here is how you fix bad balsa.
1. Figure out how big of an area needs repaired, and draw a mark a few inches beyond it.
2. Use some sort of cutting wheel that you can set how deep you are cutting. I have used a circular saw for this, until I found better tools it works great. Set your depth at about 1/4inch or less, and cut around the area you have marked.
3. Use something to pry under the edge of the glass. The only thing holding the glass down would be the good balsa that is still there. The rotten balsa should give way quite nicely.
4. Set the piece you cut out aside to use as a pattern for new glass. Make your new pieces. Make at least one piece the same size, and the rest a few inches bigger. Use either heavy roving or biaxial cloth.
5. Use a wide wood chisel and a hammer to chip away all the balsa that is exposed. Try to get as much out as you can before you break out the grinders. Its rotten, it should come out easy.
Go to someplace like www.fibreglast.com and order some new balsa. If you cant find any locally.
6. Use a sander or a grinder to clean up the inner skin.
7. Cut 2 pieces of 1-1/2 ounce fiberglass mat. The same size as your repair area.
8. Have your glass and balsa precut, then use your brush and wet out the repair area with resin. Then lay one of the pieces of 1-1/2 ounce mat on some cardboard and wet it down with resin, then take it and place it down in your repair area, and brush out all LARGE air bubbles. Don't worry about any small ones, as they don't matter for what you are doing.
9. Take your precut balsa and brush resin on the side that does not have the fabric holding it together, then quickly place it in the repair area over the still wet glass mat that you just placed in there. Use your hands to press it in as best as you can. After you get it in place. Take some wax paper and cover the entire repair, then cover that with cardboard. Place any kind of weight you can find on top of the card board. Books, magazines, newspapers, anything.
10. Now walk away for at least 2 hours. Have lunch, drink a wobbly pop, what ever you want, just leave it alone for at least 2 hours.
11. Now remove the weights, the cardboard, and the wax paper should have kept the cardboard from sticking, you are ready to continue.
12. Use a filler like dura-glass to fill in around the repair area, there will be some gaps between the old area and the new area. Fill these areas flush with the level of the new balsa, don't fill them to the level of the old glass layer. Let this set up. Then sand smooth if needed.
13. Brush a layer of resin onto the new balsa over lapping onto the old glass. Wet the other piece of 1-1/2 ounce mat on the cardboard again, then place the mat onto the repaired area. Brush out the LARGE air bubbles ONLY right now. Take the piece of biaxial glass or roving, that is the same size as the repair and wet it out on the cardboard. Then place it on top of the still very wet mat. Use a plastic or rubber squeegee to work all the air bubbles to the sides and out. Do this as good as you can.
14. Take the last piece of biaxial or roving and wet it out on the cardboard, the place it over the still wet glass you just laid down.
Use a squeegee to work all the air bubbles to the sides and out. Keep working at it until all the air is gone or the resin starts to set up.
15. Drink another wobbly pop, cause you just fixed your boat.

Thanks Robbie...well written...easy to follow....this should be a breeze...glad i caught it...recent debacle..explained in my thread "whoops"...

think I should replace the plywood pad there too?? not rotted, but wet, drying with heat overnight.... tomorrow...a year...:brickwall:

if its not a large area, I would drill several holes let dry for a bit..does not have to be totally dry and slowly fill with gitrot...have had good success with it...

Thanks Robbie...well written...easy to follow....this should be a breeze...glad i caught it...recent debacle..explained in my thread "whoops"...

think I should replace the plywood pad there too?? not rotted, but wet, drying with heat overnight.... tomorrow...a year...:brickwall:

You're Welcome!!! Are you talking about the strip down the middle? This one?

Back