• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HELP!!! Checkmate Resto!!!

jordan705

Hello,

I'm glad Checkmate has a community forum and its members are supportive and willing to help. So here it is, I recently purchased a Enchantor with a 2.4 merc bridge port. The motor is in excellent running condition and needs nothing. Now the deck (top) is faded and I dont think there is any way to bring it back, so I was woundering what the best product to clear it with would be? Also floor and transom seem to be sloid but interior is shot. Any suggestions on what to replace with or how much a factory set of covers from checkmate run? Im also looking for an alien cowl, some sort of set back, and Sea star steering. Im hoping I'll love this Mate as much as the my old Starflight. Any help or opinions would be greatly apprieciated. I'll rey and post pics. later this evening. Thanks

Hello,

I'm glad Checkmate has a community forum and its members are supportive and willing to help. So here it is, I recently purchased a Enchantor with a 2.4 merc bridge port. The motor is in excellent running condition and needs nothing. Now the deck (top) is faded and I dont think there is any way to bring it back, so I was woundering what the best product to clear it with would be? Also floor and transom seem to be sloid but interior is shot. Any suggestions on what to replace with or how much a factory set of covers from checkmate run? Im also looking for an alien cowl, some sort of set back, and Sea star steering. Im hoping I'll love this Mate as much as the my old Starflight. Any help or opinions would be greatly apprieciated. I'll rey and post pics. later this evening. Thanks

You could try water sanding and buff the gelcoat first. The interior would cost about$2500 from CM.

Hello,

Jordan, what year is your enchanter?...I just went through my 1981 21 foot enchanter. check out my thread, ...jeff,s enchanter resto...lots of good advice from guys here...

in my opinion, the floor can be deceiving....if the interior is shot, chances are the floor hasnt been touched....thought mine was good including the transom, sounded and felt solid....not so lucky...soakin wet and rotted.:brickwall:...good luck!...i will be following this one....

Last time I checked a complete interior for a O/B enchanter was 1800 and 900 for just the skins, that was a year ago though, best to call Mike @ the factory 1-419-562-3881

Jordan here's a link to JT Patroni's Starflite restoration it might have useful information for you to use. http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/1985 Checkmate Starflite/
Jim Patroni's work is the bomb! He was kind enough to redo my floor and stringers for me and his work was great. Wasn't free but he gave me a great deal and I got to help out with a bunch of the gruntwork. In case anybody is thinking of asking him I think he was pretty clear that he wouldn't even consider such a thing again. That and I know he's real busy fixing up a house he just bought in the Thousand Islands
Can't wait to go visit this summer.

In case anybody is thinking of asking him I think he was pretty clear that he wouldn't even consider such a thing again.

:( He was gonna be who I'd ask when it was in the budget to do the transom or maybe just beefier knees since my transom is pretty solid.

John

:( He was gonna be who I'd ask when it was in the budget to do the transom or maybe just beefier knees since my transom is pretty solid.

John

John I believe he's got all the patterns for the floor,transom and knees. PM him for info on that.

Thanks. I was hoping to have him do the work. I don't have the shop to do the work in during the off season nor do I want to do it during boating season so I was hoping to have him do the knees one day. By the time I'm ready he may be done with his current project and willing to do another.

Finally got some shots of the project im getting into. Transom looks solid and I drilled a small test hole from the inside near the drain and seemed dry and shavings had no moisture, is there anything else to test the transom. Also floor is solid; however I pulled carpet from ski locker and the floor is gapping from the stringers so not sure what to do here. As far as the gel-coat when I rub my hand across it I can feel some of the metal flake so guessing not much gel left (not sure if aqua buff will work) so what kind of clear would you suggest using. Thanks

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 24
Finally got some shots of the project im getting into. Transom looks solid and I drilled a small test hole from the inside near the drain and seemed dry and shavings had no moisture, is there anything else to test the transom. Also floor is solid; however I pulled carpet from ski locker and the floor is gapping from the stringers so not sure what to do here. As far as the gel-coat when I rub my hand across it I can feel some of the metal flake so guessing not much gel left (not sure if aqua buff will work) so what kind of clear would you suggest using. Thanks

Pull one of the bolts that holds the motor to check the transom. For clearcoat probably any automotive will do, I used Dupont/Nason clear on mine. How does the floor look from underneath the ski locker? Have you checked the screws holding the seat pedestals down? Normally those work loose and water gets in there.

More Pics...

The first pic of in the '' more pic '' section is shows the floor from the ski locker. Im just shocked as to the floor sepatating from the stringers but ig it is prob common. Ill check the transom by removing a bolt this weekend and as far as the bucket seats go they are solid to....thanks for the advice

I'd pull everything apart and try wetsand and aquabuff on the gel before painting. I wound up shooting clear on mine a year or so later. note that I tried some test spots on the sides the year before. nason didn't hold up as well as the high solids ppg (I shot 2021 on it - nice and hard, holding up great after a couple years now. careful prep is the main thing. Just my experience. also, note that if you have chunks taken out, you can use a combination of black tinted gel paste, large hok metal flake (can't tell it apart from the original) and an air brush to blend in the color on the very top to repair even large chunks in obvious places to the point where no one will be able to tell without looking really close... Good luck with it!

btw. the search button is your friend - LOTS of great info on here..

The first pic of in the '' more pic '' section is shows the floor from the ski locker. Im just shocked as to the floor sepatating from the stringers but ig it is prob common. Ill check the transom by removing a bolt this weekend and as far as the bucket seats go they are solid to....thanks for the advice

I thought my seat bases were pretty solid to, until I removed them and found that the captains chair had been re-bolted several times the wood disc under the base was rotted out, you might as well take a look . oh and im repainting mine and going to use Tamco Premier Series clear, they claim it to be like Imron, tried finding out from others, no one seemed to have used it, so if I get mine painted and clear coated with it, I will let you know how it turns out and its resonably priced compared to other clear coat products.

Back