• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1989 Starliner Restoration

First batch was great, little thicker than peanut butter.Then it went downhill after that, second batch I added more resin, same amount of cabosil and the third time the last batch looks like grits. :shakehead:
Keep playin with it. You'll get it. I found that if it's to thin I could wait till it started to set up a bit, then push it with a popsicle stick. Also, you can cut away excess with a knife after it tacks up. Looking good. :thumb:
P.S. don't forget to sand before tab them in if you let the epoxy dry.

Keep playin with it. You'll get it. I found that if it's to thin I could wait till it started to set up a bit, then push it with a popsicle stick. Also, you can cut away excess with a knife after it tacks up. Looking good. :thumb:
P.S. don't forget to sand before tab them in if you let the epoxy dry.

Thanks for the info!!! My first time using epoxy and it shows.:shakehead:

get some tounge depresors for making nice filets.pre mix it stiff then add the hardner.some one else also suggested it in a post before.:poke: dont add butter and it wont look like grits...!if you put the cabosil in a closable container and put some stainles nuts in the bottom and cover and shake it fluffs it up nice...it can get lumpy from dampness. And wear a mask!silacosis is bad!and im not talking youll start telling bad jokes!and gloves are also a must! its going to be all good ...keep up the good work!

Looking good, Robbie! I've officially decided I like reading about mixing cabosil a lot better than I like actually mixing cabosil. I also mixed the cab into the resin before adding the hardner...I mixed mine in a 1 gallon ice cream pail.

Giddy up!

Looking good, Robbie! I've officially decided I like reading about mixing cabosil a lot better than I like actually mixing cabosil. I also mixed the cab into the resin before adding the hardner...I mixed mine in a 1 gallon ice cream pail.

Giddy up!

I probably should be more clear about mixing. I put three cups of cabosil in the bucket (gallon) then used the ratio of 3:1 of resin and then hardner once I got the peanut butter consistency. Looking back,once I had the consistency the hardner thinned it out. So I should've added more cabosil to thicken the batch up. For the bucket above here's my mix:
3- cups of cabosil
48 pumps of resin
16 pumps of hardner

Looking great Robbie! The kids' room should be wrapped up today and the weather is supposed to be nice so I'll grab you some measurements.

Looking great Robbie! The kids' room should be wrapped up today and the weather is supposed to be nice so I'll grab you some measurements.

Thanks John!!! Can you take a picture of the stern where your boarding ladder connects, close ups and the full view? I'm thinking of leaving the swim platforms off and buy a ladder. Kind of wanting to update the look.

I found this info on epoxy, still reading through it. Thought I would add it to the discussion. http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/literature/The_Epoxy_Book.pdf
Here is the sequence they recommend.
The
correct sequence for the addition of filler materials:
Correctly measure and mix resin/hardener. Add fiber fillers, if any, and mix well. Add bulking agents, if any, and mix well. Add thixotropic agent and mix well.

I don't mix more than a large yogurt container at a time. I keep about half a dozen handy. The residue pops right out the next day.:cheers:

I had a better day of mixing the cabosil and resin, found out that by using the paint mixer attached to the drill the peanut butter consistency was spot on. Lesson learned was not to mix the cabosil and resin with a paint stick. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN4179.jpg
    DSCN4179.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN4181.jpg
    DSCN4181.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 67
Did you buy a new mixer or were you able to make my old one work? Lookin' good. You make me feel like such a lazy ass...:cheers:

Did you buy a new mixer or were you able to make my old one work? Lookin' good. You make me feel like such a lazy ass...:cheers:

I used the one you gave me, makes mixing so much easier. I should've use the mixing tool to begin with.:shakehead: Oh well you learn what works and what doesn't!!

You're getting good enough at this boat building stuff that maybe your next project will be making a bow-rider out of that Enforcer :D

You know I almost bought one just to try it. :)I found a old Enforcer and trailer in Asheville NC a while back. The boat was stripped and in a field.:shakehead: Really think I convert one to a bow rider, a walk thru at that.:thumb:

How long before you start tabbing in material?

The plan is to tab the stringers and knees in this weekend. I've got to sand the epoxy first. Also I got the horizontal brace cut and will embed that this weekend as well. I realized yesterday I got three sheets to do the floor and only need two. So I'm thinking of removing the front divider and replacing it with composite board, along with the two side compartments. That's if I can got enough to do all of it, think one sheet should be enough.

These are the compartments I'm thinking about replacing with composite board, as I stated in an earlier post. Once those are replaced there will be no wood in the liner. Forgot to mention yesterday I started removing the hardware from the deck, got the rails, cleats and what's left of the ski pole attachments. I'm thinking about cutting the bottoms out of those coolers, that way I have access to batteries and the oil tank.

Attachments

• DSCN4182.jpg
    DSCN4182.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN4183.jpg
    DSCN4183.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN4184.jpg
    DSCN4184.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back