• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Cleaning and Polishing Exhaust Tips

Blue Mist '97

I have looked through the forums and didn't find anything on cleaning and polishing my SS exhaust tips. I know there has to be some threads about this. If this is in the wrong forum, sorry.

I tried Flitz and it did so-so. Lot of work and not much reward. I used the liquid. Is the tube (paste) better?

Is there anything out there better, that's easy to use?
Have heard good things about Mothers and about a few others, so I thought I would throw it over to you for opinions.

Thanks BM

To get them looking brand new use 3M Finess IT or 3M cleaner wax if real bad, then polish, then wax.

Too keep them looking brand new, clean with Lime Away after each use…spray on, let soak for a few minutes, wipe dry.

-Craig

I have looked through the forums and didn't find anything on cleaning and polishing my SS exhaust tips. I know there has to be some threads about this. If this is in the wrong forum, sorry.

I tried Flitz and it did so-so. Lot of work and not much reward. I used the liquid. Is the tube (paste) better?

Is there anything out there better, that's easy to use?
Have heard good things about Mothers and about a few others, so I thought I would throw it over to you for opinions.

Thanks BM

Hi BM,
Is there somekind of build up or corrosion problem on the tips or a discolorization?
With my new tips I had the last few years, I just used a very quick and easy application of FW1 racing formula fast wax before and after each time in the water --- no hard rubbing or scrubbing, just rub on and off --- it's real easy to use and it works great, -- it does a great job of keeping tips from getting corroded or discolored from dirty waters and salt.

However if you have older tips that are already heavily discolored or UV dulled, then an aggressive application of the 3M cleaner is probably needed --- but once you get the shine you want on the tips, then just use the FW1 cleaner/wax/protectant before and after every use and you'll be fine.
Good luck
Kurt

PS --- FW! wax is only available through the internet.

The tips are OEM. They have just discolored and have some oxidation buildup over the last couple of years and yes, I have been derelict in taking care of them. However, I am going to get them clean and shiny either this week or next, so they will be purdy for spring and summer.

I bought some White Diamond Metal polish last week after doing some research. It is supposed to be a great polish for all metals. I will try it out and get a few snaps to show the finished product. If it doesn't work to my satisfaction, I will head back and get me some 3M.

Kurtster - I will look at the FW1 that you mentioned and see what it's all about. By the way, the General is still happy with the car, so WE did good.

The tips are OEM. They have just discolored and have some oxidation buildup over the last couple of years and yes, I have been derelict in taking care of them. However, I am going to get them clean and shiny either this week or next, so they will be purdy for spring and summer.

I bought some White Diamond Metal polish last week after doing some research. It is supposed to be a great polish for all metals. I will try it out and get a few snaps to show the finished product. If it doesn't work to my satisfaction, I will head back and get me some 3M.

Kurtster - I will look at the FW1 that you mentioned and see what it's all about. By the way, the General is still happy with the car, so WE did good.

I've heard good reports of the white diamond polish but never tried it --- I would love to know how it works out for you ---- {always on the look out for the quality polishes and waxes}.

Whenever I see one of those beautiful M-Benz models on the road I wonder how the General is doing with hers -- glad to know shes happy with it --- you both now have a couple of georgous toys -- your CM and her MB :drool:

whatever polish you use, use masking tape on the fiberglass around the part you are polishing. It will save you aggravation when you stain your fiberglass grey from getting a little polish on it. Don't ask me how I know this...haha.

Kaboom to clean them. Spray it on and let it sit half a minute and rag them before rinsing. I still polish mine a couple times a year (on my Sunny) but really don't think it helps keep them looking any better then just cleaning them with the Kaboom stuff. They while not perfect, look pretty good. I bought the boat in spring of 05 so the kaboom stuff doesn't hurt them. White Vinegar and water mixed 40/60 will do a decent job too after a outing at keeping them shiney.

Use muratic acid to clean off build up then polish with any good chrome polish. Muratic acid will work on water stains on the hull too. Don't get acid on any on any type of vinyl graphic or striping, it will discolor!

The acid works great on fiberglass. It will eat metal right up if not sprayed with water quickly. I use it too clean my hull but first wet down the trailer and apply it with a sponge to keep from having over spray. My tips just get windex to keep them looking good. If your getting discolor you might have a heating problem.

Got a chance to head up to the lake to work on the "Mist" today. Wish I could have hit the water. Clear blue sky, 75 degrees, you couldn't ask for a better day. It was not to be. There was work to be done.

Got there and decided to start with the exhaust tips. Took my little bottle of White Diamond Metal Polish and got after it. Pics below shows what they looked like before I started and what they look like now. This polish is some good s*%$. Should be stuff. Took me about an hour on each tip to get them purdy again. Glad I don't have twins!!!

Then I started sanding and priming my skeg to get it back up to snuff. After some wet sanding it was ready for Phantom Black. Painted and now ready to go.

Last but not least, as I posted in my other thread, I installed a new tachometer. It was much simpler than I thought it was going to be.

Thanks for all the info on cleaning up the tips.

These are some before pics.

Attachments

• 20130420_125116.jpg
    20130420_125116.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20130420_140110.jpg
    20130420_140110.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20130420_140104.jpg
    20130420_140104.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 10
Here are a couple of after pics

Attachments

• 20130420_140121.jpg
    20130420_140121.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20130420_140136.jpg
    20130420_140136.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20130420_151709.jpg
    20130420_151709.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 10
Last two.

The bottle of White Diamond.

Sorry, don't know how to rotate them on here.

Attachments

• 20130420_151730.jpg
    20130420_151730.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20130420_165105.jpg
    20130420_165105.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 11
Back