• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I/O engine oil changing kit. What do you use?

illMATTic

I paid 100 bucks for an oil change this season since it was already in for drive service. I would like to do it my self from here on out.

What pumps / systems do you guys prefer?

I like the hose that replaces drain plug on pan. Just has a plug on the end. When time for oil change, just fish hose through hull transom drain plug and let it drain. Sisnce my engine is out again, i will be putting it on. Only costs $30.

Talk to Buss also, he made his own vaccuum oil extractor.

Yep, I do the same thing Ron does. Poke the hose out of transom drain hole, crack the valve open in the oil pan drain and gravity does the rest. Cheap and easy.:thumb: Jim

I was leaning toward the drain hose type as well. I have all kinds of room back there to get in and install it.

I use the blue metal vacuum tank that you stick down the dipstick tube. It works well and it can be used for other tasks. Like sucking water from the bilge etc.. I had a hose on my old jet boat and it worked good too. It was always covered with oil and made the bilge harder to clean though. That engine leaked a tiny bit of oil now and then.

I use the blue metal vacuum tank that you stick down the dipstick tube. It works well and it can be used for other tasks. Like sucking water from the bilge etc.. I had a hose on my old jet boat and it worked good too. It was always covered with oil and made the bilge harder to clean though. That engine leaked a tiny bit of oil now and then.

I have one that lloks like a garden sprayer and holds 2+gallons. As long as you run the motor first to warm up the oil, it works great. Sucks out every drop in less than 5 minutes! If I remember correctly, I paid around $55 for it.

Love the drain hose through the bilge plug opening. Lets gravity do the work while one also employs gravity to sample the favorite adult beverage that should be present while working on vessel in driveway.

i have a pela oil extractor with 3 different hoses and it holds about 8 litres. sucks great, bought it around the same time Bill Clinton was in office, so i named in monica lewinksy for obvious reasons - lol!

Got a new No-Spill drain plug and drainer hose for my 454 mag, delivered just in time for Christmas.

Attachments

• P1040984.JPG
    P1040984.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P1040981.JPG
    P1040981.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P1040983.JPG
    P1040983.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 3
Few more of the drain hose attached. Hose is 3/8" ID and 5/8" OD. Will take a little longer to drain than the larger standard hose drain (probably 1-2 beverages longer), but at least it will slide through the drain. They will cut the hose to whatever length you desire (I ordered 5 ft. hose). It runs about $2 per ft.

Attachments

• P1040987.JPG
    P1040987.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P1040986.JPG
    P1040986.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 6
  • P1040985.JPG
    P1040985.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 6
Oil extractor.... a manual vacuum based unit. Also works great on drive oil.
For engine just insert tube in dipstick

Three years ago when I first bought my 251 Convincor I went out and got
the one that sucks through the dip stick and it worked well but I always
thought I might leaving some oil in the pan with this system.
Now all this time I saw this hose laying down in the bilge but I just thought
it was a old power steering return line or something from a previous
repair. So eventually it was time to change the starter and I was upside
down with my knuckles bleeding and a gash on my forehead plus all my
tools were now laying in the bilge anyway so no better time than now to
grab that old hose but wait it seems to be attached to something like the
oil pan. The rest is history. Im sure the other 251 guys feel my pain.

Oil drain line!

1. Boat all day
2. Put boat on trailer
3. Pull drain plug and pull hose through
4. Remove plug from drain hose in pan
5. Loosten oil filter
6. Open beer and let it sit overnight
7. Refill oil and replace filter
8. Fill cooler go boating

Back