• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

First Speed boat!!!!

:welcome: as to your question about the stock pitch of the prop, I would say don't worry about it. Most everyone changes it as the stock props are just that. It is best to find a prop and pitch that works best with your boat. it is usually not the stock prop 90% of the time. Good luck on your new boat.

I totally agree with Nathan. A stock prop in most cases is irrelevant. It really comes down to what you're looking for out of the boat. Do you want performance and top speed? Quick acceleration and pulling power out of the hole for water skiing and toys? Or an all around utility prop? :thumb: Jim

:welcome: as to your question about the stock pitch of the prop, I would say don't worry about it. Most everyone changes it as the stock props are just that. It is best to find a prop and pitch that works best with your boat. it is usually not the stock prop 90% of the time. Good luck on your new boat.

I totally agree with Nathan. A stock prop in most cases is irrelevant. It really comes down to what you're looking for out of the boat. Do you want performance and top speed? Quick acceleration and pulling power out of the hole for water skiing and toys? Or an all around utility prop? :thumb: Jim

Point taken. Thank you

I know the stainless prop on there now is dinged and needs replacement. I'm not sure what size it is yet but once I see how the current prop performs I was trying to figure out what stock would have performed like. I also am thinking of sacrificing performance and switching back to aluminum because of how shallow the lake is just for damage control should something happen.

As for your current stainless prop, not sure if you're aware, but it can probably be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost a new prop. Somewhere in the $125-$150 range.:thumb: Jim

As for your current stainless prop, not sure if you're aware, but it can probably be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost a new prop. Somewhere in the $125-$150 range.:thumb: Jim

I absolutley did not know that. :bigthumb: Thank you

That sounds like a great option. I will defintely be pursuing that avenue. Do people usually mail them to some one nationally or should I be able to find something locally?

Typically you can take them to a local Marina and they send them out for repair. There's a guy I send mine to here in Indianapolis,Indiana. His name is Mark Kreger and the name of his shop is Indy Prop Shop. He does a fantastic job. Here's the link if you're interested.:thumb: Jim

indianapolispropellerrepair.com

Typically you can take them to a local Marina and they send them out for repair. There's a guy I send mine to here in Indianapolis,Indiana. His name is Mark Kreger and the name of his shop is Indy Prop Shop. He does a fantastic job. Here's the link if you're interested.:thumb: Jim

indianapolispropellerrepair.com

This is the same shop we use for all of our customer prop repair work. They do a great job and they know props pretty well! He use to work for Turbo prop before he started doing this I am pretty sure!

I just mailed my dinged and bent 4 blade ss bravo to Atlantis Propellers here in NJ.
For roughly $175 they're going to restore it to perfect. In the past they've even taken it up or down a pitch depending on what I wanted.
Beats spending 4-5 hundred on a new one.

Another thing to factor in is your shipping costs. SS Props aren't exactly light, so if you get a price quote don't forget it's probably going to cost about $20ish for you to ship it to a repair shop. No matter what, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

So I am trying to post pics of my first day out from my cell phone but I may have to wait until monday until I can use a real computer at work. I did how ever try to make a top speed run with the wife and 2 year old aboard.

At full throttle the gps only read 48mph and the tach (assuming it is working properly) maxed out at 4000 rpm. I thought red line was around 5k and the speed definitely seemed lower then I thought it would be. My guess is it is over propped but the hole shot is strong and it does not bog down so im not sure. I unfortunately dont know the size of the prop yet.

I might tend to throw up a hint of caution here. Speed runs including the Significant Other may tend to be disadvantageous to top forward velocity. Inclusion of children under the age of nine, in such activities, can and will cause the Significant Other to affix their frowning gaze upon you which may cause 1. Sore Back.(from sleeping on couch) 2. Hunger.(no dinner for you) 3. Upset stomach. (from their x-ray vision attacking your stomach lining) 4. Extremely quiet rides home from the lake. 5. Possible sale of vessel as speeds approach 100 mph. Speeds of 35 to 45, under 'smooth water', should be observed under such circumstances. No secondaries should be even cracked, even when coming 'out of the hole'. Omission of all bodies but your own will also hasten top speed. Obtaining the optimum angle between the outdrive and the bottom of the hull will likewise produce increased velocity. Turning your cap around will help keep it from becoming unattached from your head. Balancing the machine to get that 'nose up' attitude will also prove advantageous. Be wary as you approach 70 mph. Dreams will begin to include fancy polished multi bladed propellers, larger valves and cylinder heads, forced induction systems, skinny streamlined outdrives, and fuel that comes in little blue 5 gallon cans.

I might tend to throw up a hint of caution here. Speed runs including the Significant Other may tend to be disadvantageous to top forward velocity. Inclusion of children under the age of nine, in such activities, can and will cause the Significant Other to affix their frowning gaze upon you which may cause 1. Sore Back.(from sleeping on couch) 2. Hunger.(no dinner for you) 3. Upset stomach. (from their x-ray vision attacking your stomach lining) 4. Extremely quiet rides home from the lake. 5. Possible sale of vessel as speeds approach 100 mph. Speeds of 35 to 45, under 'smooth water', should be observed under such circumstances. No secondaries should be even cracked, even when coming 'out of the hole'. Omission of all bodies but your own will also hasten top speed. Obtaining the optimum angle between the outdrive and the bottom of the hull will likewise produce increased velocity. Turning your cap around will help keep it from becoming unattached from your head. Balancing the machine to get that 'nose up' attitude will also prove advantageous. Be wary as you approach 70 mph. Dreams will begin to include fancy polished multi bladed propellers, larger valves and cylinder heads, forced induction systems, skinny streamlined outdrives, and fuel that comes in little blue 5 gallon cans.

Now thats funny!

As far as trim goes I am a little wary of trying to go too nose up because the trim meter and trim limit switch are both bad. Being a newbie I am sure I am being uber conservative but after getting on plane I trim up until it smooths out and maybe a touch past that. Im sure it would be hard to get the outdrive so far out at speed that it would damage it but id rather be safe then sorry.

Any thoughts?

Procuring 'seat time' will most likely have a positive effect concerning trim adjustment. It might be a fun project to repair the trim gauge and limit switches. A visual indicator is helpful although many trim by feel. The visual indicator would get you in the ballpark quickly. It does sound like you are right in there on the trim though. Armed with the size and pitch of the current propeller in use, and knowing the maximum attainable engine rpm with said prop, and gps speed, you can calculate the prop slip and see where you are.

PS: Don't listen to anything OG has to say. (We don't mention his name but only use his initials)

Wow, she's a beauty and definitely a nice looking ride. Congrats on the find. I'm no expert but, back to your earlier question on prop pitch, I'm guessing you have a prop with about a pitch of around 19", which is great for tubing and pulling slalom water skiers. If you went to a 23" or 24" pitch that should give you a lot more top end, in the 60-65 mph range.:thumb: Jim

Last edited:
, I'm guessing you have a prop with about a pitch of around 19", which is great for tubing and pulling slalom water skiers. If you went to a 23" or 24" pitch that should give you a lot more top end, in the 60-65 mph range.:thumb: Jim

I thought that but wouldn't I be able to hit 5k rpm with a 19" pitch? Maybe this weekend i'll finally be able to get it out of the water and pull the prop so I can find out what I am working with. If I do that I'll try a new thread about the prop.

On that note does anyone know if all props are marked / where that mark would be? Or if they are not all marked how to tell what pitch it is?

You were correct in your thinking as to what you should be able to get out you motor at WOT. A higher pitch prop will get you more R's, closer to 5000-5200 rpm. range and more top end.:thumb: Jim

Last edited:
I think it's the other way around, a higher pitch prop (numerically speaking) will lower your RPM's, while a lower pitch prop (again by ##'s) will gain RPM's. If a 19p prop behind a 350 is only puling 4000rpms @ 48 mph, i'm gonna guess you are not using the trim button! 19p is far from over propped for a 350 V8, i'd say you are under propped! With that said, it's a balancing act to find the right prop and trim that the boat likes and get's you to your target RPM range. Also, i'm not sure what the stock 350 was rated for RPM wise, but usually they are max 4500 or bellow. The 350/260hp in my 21' Enchanter says right on the valve cover 4200-4500 RPM range, mine is bone stock and i get about 4400 RPM or so with a 21p 3 blade, i used to run a 23p at about 4200 rpm's and that got low 60's on GPS, i should still be in the low 60's with the 21p but i haven't GPS'd it. Again, trim makes a huge difference, your motor having been rebuilt might be a bit over stock and perfectly capable of 5000 RPM, trim it up and see what happens! I would also say a 21p or 23p would be what you want, maybe 24p if the motor is built. Anyway, very cool boat you have there, welcome to the performance boat world and to the Forum!! :welcome:

Back