• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Ran my Verado 400r

Why not install a quality tight fitting bow cover on it and get your easy 5 mph speed increase? I know, snaps on the gel suck, but nothing frees up speed on an open bow like closing that area off...

You have plenty to spin it. 2 inches of pitch is 300 rpm and it might not cavitate as much on take off. If I had that thing I would put a 28 on it, you might be buzzing past the sweet spot of the motor.

Good point, i will try one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 85
lower unit.

It's the Sport Master 5.44" od gear case, 1.25 prop shaft.

The reason I ask is that the sport master is not really necessary until you get up around 85mph. I have a 21 pulsare with a torque master lower and run 82 to 84mph with no blow out. My boat needs a good amount of positive trim to run top speed. not sure about the 2400. If you run a lot of trim the sport master will actually be slower as the nosecone sticks down lower into the water than the torque master does. That being said you are running very high on the transom and Im not sure how the low water pickup works on the torque master. Im running an inch below the pad and get plenty of pressure as there are pickups in the nose of the drive just not sure that it would do the same up at the height you're running. It is possible the torque master could be faster unless the height/water pressure becomes a problem. Just a thought. Steve.

The reason I ask is that the sport master is not really necessary until you get up around 85mph. I have a 21 pulsare with a torque master lower and run 82 to 84mph with no blow out. My boat needs a good amount of positive trim to run top speed. not sure about the 2400. If you run a lot of trim the sport master will actually be slower as the nosecone sticks down lower into the water than the torque master does. That being said you are running very high on the transom and Im not sure how the low water pickup works on the torque master. Im running an inch below the pad and get plenty of pressure as there are pickups in the nose of the drive just not sure that it would do the same up at the height you're running. It is possible the torque master could be faster unless the height/water pressure becomes a problem. Just a thought. Steve.

Good though, before I bought the 400 i was running a 300 Pro with the std 4.88" gear case & like you I had to run lots of positive trim to keep my bow in good form to get my best speed, with the Sporty i run less positive trim to keep my bow were she likes for my best speed i believe the length of the gear case gives me more arm for leverage to keep my bow right were it needs for best speed with less trim angle, the low water intakes on the Sporty sit more than an inch below the ctr line of the gear case & i have run as high as 1-1/2" above the pad with no water pressure loss, I'm also at 13" of set back witch helps keep plenty of water to the intakes.

400R

Good though, before I bought the 400 i was running a 300 Pro with the std 4.88" gear case & like you I had to run lots of positive trim to keep my bow in good form to get my best speed, with the Sporty i run less positive trim to keep my bow were she likes for my best speed i believe the length of the gear case gives me more arm for leverage to keep my bow right were it needs for best speed with less trim angle, the low water intakes on the Sporty sit more than an inch below the ctr line of the gear case & i have run as high as 1-1/2" above the pad with no water pressure loss, I'm also at 13" of set back witch helps keep plenty of water to the intakes.

Sounds great, Was just a thought. Im currently waiting on a Skater 318 with twin 400Rs. Its a new model. I have been hearing good things about these motors from a few people. Mine are supposed to get to Skater the end of July. Im thinking I should have the boat beginning of August sometime. Fingers crossed. My friend is running the 400Rs on a DCB Cat. He has had them as high as 2.5 inches above the bottom but water pressure was a bit low. He is currently running them 2.25 inches up now and maintains good pressure. He has 5 inches of setback I believe and a notch in the bottom of the hull of about 8 inches for total of 13 inches setback. Knowing this you may be able to go higher up if the prop can still bite well. Congrats on your new set up. I always loved my Checkmate. Trying to sell it now if anyone is interested. Steve.

Why not install a quality tight fitting bow cover on it and get your easy 5 mph speed increase? I know, snaps on the gel suck, but nothing frees up speed on an open bow like closing that area off...

A friend of mine who owns GDS Canvas in Ft.Lauderdale built me a nice tight fitting bow cover & i took it out for a try early today, 6:30am for calm waters & to avoid water traffic on the intercostal, did several back to back runs with & with out the cover with the same result: 81.5 @ 7160, i think i'm hitting the limiter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 37
Hay,

If my math is correct, you have gained 10+ mph w- the 400R over the 300? And it sounds like there might be a few more mph left in the set-up? How's the handling? Are you happy w- the gain vs the $$$ spent? Boat looks great!

Good luck-

A friend of mine who owns GDS Canvas in Ft.Lauderdale built me a nice tight fitting bow cover & i took it out for a try early today, 6:30am for calm waters & to avoid water traffic on the intercostal, did several back to back runs with & with out the cover with the same result: 81.5 @ 7160, i think i'm hitting the limiter.

Now you know, more prop testing :banana:

Only options for the 400 are the SM & the Poseidon and both are 5.4". The poseidon is what was only offered on the 350sci. Due to the diameter the SM is the best option of the pair for our applications IMO.

Initial hole shot is slightly off from the OB/F, cavitates a bit on the initial opening of full throttle but once it grabs it seems to accelerate faster than the OB/F, the 400R has a hell roar coming on plane at 6500 R's, frigin awesome :D :bigthumb:

What is their version of the FS? their Bravo 1 with vent holes? I'd like to try one from them, how do i identify it?

I had them modify a std bravo by cutting the tube by 5/8" to match the FS and also reduce cup height. No vent holes, really no need for more cavitation on hole shot.

Problem with the blaster is the continous exhaust over the blades good for 2 strokes not so much for 4 strokes due to the torque difference.

If my math is correct, you have gained 10+ mph w- the 400R over the 300? And it sounds like there might be a few more mph left in the set-up? How's the handling? Are you happy w- the gain vs the $$$ spent? Boat looks great!

Very happy with the gains. Performance, handling, looks, an all around a great motor, just like the 300 but lots more umpff & the Sport Master gear case is the icing on the cake, to me it is well worth the $$$ spent. High speed handling is good but at WOT it's a hand full, don't think the 2400 BRX was designed for constant high speed running, overall a great do it all combo with this 400R on the back.

I had them modify a std bravo by cutting the tube by 5/8" to match the FS and also reduce cup height. No vent holes, really no need for more cavitation on hole shot.

Problem with the blaster is the continous exhaust over the blades good for 2 strokes not so much for 4 strokes due to the torque difference.

Thanks for the info, i have an extra stock Bravo laying around that I might send out for the mod, it would make for a good comparison to the OB/F.
The Blaster so far has been the fastest prop out of all the ones tested, it has an incredible midrange punch, more so than than the OB/F or my 2 worked Bravos', it truly is a hard bitting fun prop to drive.

Hydromotive PX5 or P5 look interesting for that motor. The PX5 is 15 dia and the P5 15.50. not sure if 15.50 will fit as the 400R recomended prop the Brovo is 15.25. i know hulls with big torque like 5 blade props better than 4 thats why all the off shore guys run 5 and 6 blade props. Hears a link you could always call todd and ask him what he thinks. i know he just cut down an off shore prop for an Allison guy to try on his 21ft bass boat with a 250xs and it gave him 97.5 mph speeds with a full fishing loaded down boat. Thats a way faster prop for that engine combo than anything else he tryed before. After reading all the posts hear Im very very intrigued with this motor on your sweet hulls! The 24 Checkmate is such a versatile sized boat and with this motor seems to be just what the doctor ordered!! :cheers:

I can help but think that with the SM running even with the pad and running a 5 blade prop might be the ticket? You would get better bite with more contact due to more blades and the right diamiter seems to be in that 15+ range. Running a higher X you can turn more rpm but you need the bite that seems to be the issue some are having? Also running higher X dimention would enable an even taller pitch if you get the bite to keep slip to a min. Thats why im thinking 5 blade prop higher and taller. i dont see why you couldn't turn a 27 or 28 at even with the pad in a 5 blade with the new SM. the hull would require more balancing at higher speeds to counter chine walk and the ballance of the hull would be more of an issue also running increased speeds but well worth the effort i think.

Great thread and awesome rides you guys im envious!!:drool:

Hears a link to that 5 blade I was thinking about. http://hydromotive.com/products/propellers/intimidator-p-5x/ http://hydromotive.com/products/propellers/intimidator-p-5/

There was a guy a few years ago that topped 115 with a Honda 4 stroke on an Argo using a 5 blade herring prop. He said all the 4 blades he tryed slipped due to the touque of the 4 stoke to much and when he ran the 5 blade his performance went way up. Thats what got me thinking about this beast of motor. Really designed for much larger hulls with twins +++. So a single on a hull thats really the min in size for this much power and touque needs to bite as its just spinning her wheels. like a 454 in a 69 Camero you need some traction over the same motor in a crew cab 4x4. 5 Blades are better than 4 and 4 is better than 3.:D

Back