• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Waterproofing seat wood?

JAMESPERRY

I'm sorry for asking this seeing I read it in one of these 1000 threads last night and now cant find it. Guy said to Mix resin and dilute with mineral spirits I think. Whats the correct process or thread. I've used a 2 part epoxy paint before on the wood of seats but no idea if held up because I usually only keep a boat a couple of years afterwards. I might want to keep this one a while. 1980 Entertainer .:brickwall:

I did a Southwind Tunnel Dragster a while back and used Thompson's water seal. The wood parts are prob still perfect. Low cost, check it out. Original untreated wood lasted 25 years, FWIW.

I also used epoxy. A word of caution though. It cures very hard. I have a good pneumatic staple gun shooting stainless staples. An arrow gun just wont cut it.

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpg
    IMG_5325.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 28
I've used clear penetrating epoxy before with good results. Better than just coating the wood with epoxy or glass since it penetrates into the wood. Google CPE and there are a bunch of different brands. Good luck

Back