• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Finally bought a Starliner.

I already knew to never trust anyone else's description of something they had for sale. I have a pretty high standard (as I know you do) but I broke my own rule and made a classic mistake. I trusted the description of someone I thought should have had the same high standards as I do.
I am mostly happy with the boat/motor/trailer, it's just that it needs $1500+ in repairs to make it 'as advertised'. And no offer of compensation or even an apology from the seller. Nothing. Even blew me off for a couple weeks after I sent him a detailed e-mail with pictures describing my findings. Pretty sad considering a good business person knows these days you must accurately describe the condition of something you're putting up for sale on the internet where someone from afar may make the purchase.
100% agreed.
I've done that a couple times. I bought a V-8 project motor while still in Fla, from a friend I trusted. I was lucky though as when I brought the actual condition to his attention, and reminded him he said it was "riding ready" he took it back and refunded my money.

Too bad about Randy. He is one I would have taken his word.

Too bad about Randy. He is one I would have taken his word.

That's what a few others have said too. A lot of people would have made the same mistake. I'll be making a thread showing everyone what was advertised versus reality.

That's what a few others have said too. A lot of people would have made the same mistake. I'll be making a thread showing everyone what was advertised versus reality.

Some of us may be more critical or anal than others when it comes to boat condition. I personally don't know of anyone that's ever been upset with something bought from Randy "Wildman" Corsen. I've bought numerous boats over the internet without seeing them first. Some I've been thrilled with...others needed more work than I anticipated. It's part of the risk. Unfortunately we can't easily see under floors, behind transoms, inside transom knees, etc. and have to weigh the financial risk vs the price. If something is flat out misrepresented I would be highly upset, however, I've never received a used boat that didn't need some kind of work to bring it up to my expectations. I hope all works out well for both parties as you're both Checkmate brothers to me!!:thumb:

It's alive!

Finley got some time to dedicate to the old girl.

Made great headway and FINALLY cured my starting problems. Grafted 3 starters into 1 good one and custom made and installed 2 gauge battery cables and it now cranks like it should.

I have a slow wk this wk + the Mrs is playing w/grandkids this weekend so even better for me.

When the motor finally started, while 50* last weekend, I thought I'd have the motor broke in and be testing this weekend.
Then it snowed 4" here!

Should be ready for the next warm stretch though.

I remember you talking about bracing the knees. Did you end up doing any bracing inside?

No. Did this instead.
Due to the deck design, you can't really do a whole lot to the inside of the transom.
The splashwell is too deep. Your knees would only come 1/2 way up the inside of the transom.
Orig I was going to glass in knees, from the top of motor board to the splashwell but couldn't get the leverage I wanted for its strength.

Going to the top of the board gives me that leverage, and tying into the top/front of splashwell gives me rigidity there as well. That glass is from 1/2" - 1" thick there and the deck is cored in that area.
I don't think it will move.

By using the tie rod system it also lets you install them and then crank some load into them for support instead of static supports not doing anything until the motor board started to move.

Approximately how many pounds of preload did you adjust into the tensioners Gary?

Gary, how do the tiebars mount to the front of the splashwell? Are they tied to something structural or just the cap?

Just the cap but......

The glass is 1/2" - 1" thick there and the deck/top of cap above it is cored.
As in, very strong.
I also added 1/2" backers behind the mount plates.

I think this will work and assuming so, be perfect copy for any Starflites as well.

PS, forecast is for high 50's this weekend.
Jus sayin.......

If all goes well, I'll probably bolt on the test wheel and go find soft water somewhere :bigthumb:

We have ignition!

All I can say is....., what a freagin rocket and boy this going to be fun!

Put 2 hrs on it today, on the water. For the motor being a total bastard child, I was blown away that it started, idled and shifted out of the box.
I know it already ran on the hose but an absolute turd can sound good on the hose w/no back pressure and no load.
Idled at 650 in gear w/very little smoke as evidenced in the pic's.
It is running in the at dock picture too.

I have a bunch of tuning/jetting to do but YIKES is this thing now fun.

I was blown away that w/a full tank of fuel and the jack plate all the way up (even w/the bottom) it would still pop right on plane w/zero issue.
That shocked me.

The additional set back too......, all good. As I'm still sneaking up on the motor, I haven't hit it in the head yet but if I was going to see issues I would have expected them at lower planning speed and there are none as of yet.

W/the additions I've done over the last yr, it has transformed from running like a heavy, 55 mph boat to running like it gained 50 HP's and dropped 500 lbs.
W/the little bit of seat time, at speed that I got today......, it feels way more like an Allison and not a heavy ski boat.

I'm liking it.

BTW, I ran my 24" Raker which was the biggest and fastest on the stock motor. I think I could load the boat w/passengers and pull up a slalom skier from a deep water start w/it in its new skin :devil:

Sorry, don't know how to rotate the last shot. It was correct when I loaded it.

Attachments

• starliner at caesar.jpg
    starliner at caesar.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 42
  • starliner at caesar (2).jpg
    starliner at caesar (2).jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
  • starliner under way.jpg
    starliner under way.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 34
Looks awesome man!!!! I would love to see that thing in action sometime, let me know the next time you hit Ceaser Creek!!!

Back