• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

HOW FAST IS YOUR CHECKMATE? EVERYONE!

How do you find out about the Caesar Creek shootout, live in Delhi and would love to see it????

Last edited:
How do you find out about the Caesar Creek shootout, live in Delhi and would love to see it????

It's always the first Saturday in October, if it rains, we do it on Sunday. It usually starts around 9-10am, we run for a few hours then there is a big cookout. Its a really good time.

Checkmate 283 convincor twin 454's running 27p propellers 73mph @4500
I have a 2400 long deck / 300R (2020 and the 2nd last boat built in Bucyrus). Initially I could only get about 72 mph around 6200 rpm with a 24P Bravo FS. Once I redid my poor break-in and had #7 injector harness wire changed the boat picked up. Now the weather helped for sure since it was about 59*F when I tested it this morning. The boat ran 76 mph @ 6348 rpm with a 24P ProMax prop. My wife and me in it, and about 1/3 tank of fuel. I have to try again to convince myself it was not a fluke. It felt like I could hit 77 mph if I raise the jack plate and trim some more but that might be wishful thinking. I will try my repaired Bravo 24 FS next. That prop will be almost out of rpm, unless I get some additional cup height put into it to make it act like a 24.5 - 25P Bravo FS.
I only have 10" of set back, not 18" like Wildman uses to gain an additional 4 mph. I know mine is slow, but acceptable for a family boat. My friend Tom passed away and we sold his 2400 BRX / 300R and I have spoken to the new owner in FL and he is very happy with the boat. He said he had it up to 73 mph with the 24P Bravo FS but had to get out of it due to chine walking, and that was in very warm weather. TraceF3 in FL has a 2009 / 300R cut out bow long deck and has been up to 76.1 mph with a 24.5 ProMax.

I have a 2400 long deck / 300R (2020 and the 2nd last boat built in Bucyrus). Initially I could only get about 72 mph around 6200 rpm with a 24P Bravo FS. Once I redid my poor break-in and had #7 injector harness wire changed the boat picked up. Now the weather helped for sure since it was about 59*F when I tested it this morning. The boat ran 76 mph @ 6348 rpm with a 24P ProMax prop. My wife and me in it, and about 1/3 tank of fuel. I have to try again to convince myself it was not a fluke. It felt like I could hit 77 mph if I raise the jack plate and trim some more but that might be wishful thinking. I will try my repaired Bravo 24 FS next. That prop will be almost out of rpm, unless I get some additional cup height put into it to make it act like a 24.5 - 25P Bravo FS.
I only have 10" of set back, not 18" like Wildman uses to gain an additional 4 mph. I know mine is slow, but acceptable for a family boat. My friend Tom passed away and we sold his 2400 BRX / 300R and I have spoken to the new owner in FL and he is very happy with the boat. He said he had it up to 73 mph with the 24P Bravo FS but had to get out of it due to chine walking, and that was in very warm weather. TraceF3 in FL has a 2009 / 300R cut out bow long deck and has been up to 76.1 mph with a 24.5 ProMax.
The boat TraceF3 has is my old boat. When I had the Verado 300 Pro on the boat, the best I saw was 71.9 with an Atlas 8" jack plate, Bravo One 24, one person with half a tank of gas..

The boat TraceF3 has is my old boat. When I had the Verado 300 Pro on the boat, the best I saw was 71.9 with an Atlas 8" jack plate, Bravo One 24, one person with half a tank of gas..
I bought this boat from Trace and the best i’ve seen from it thus far with the 300r is 71.7 with just me and about 1/3 tank. It’s surprising that you got an extra .2 with the Verado. I think that Florida water is faster. Sending you a PM 👍

I bought this boat from Trace and the best i’ve seen from it thus far with the 300r is 71.7 with just me and about 1/3 tank. It’s surprising that you got an extra .2 with the Verado. I think that Florida water is faster. Sending you a PM 👍
Which prop do you have on it? Trace and I exchanged a lot of e-mails and it did run in the 75 - 76 mph range with the Fury and 24.5P ProMax props. That makes sense to me, because mine also ran 76 mph (but in good cool air) with my 24P ProMax. I have a labbed 26P ProMax coming late in Oct. to see if I can get into the 78+mph range.

My 2400 originally was rigged with the same Verado as Jupiter, a 300 pro. A 24 Bravo FS achieved 72-73 MPH, 1/2-3/4 tank and just myself. A 24p Tempest achieved 75-76 MPH with same amount of fuel. The Tempest was faster but hole shot was horrible, really had to ease into it, and with a full load of 2 people, beer & gear the ride quality and planing performance suffered as well.

Finally put new props on it. We had been running the same ones Checkmate put on it back in 2013. We had done enough testing to have a good idea of what the boat wanted.

Reactions: jjg
Finally put new props on it. We had been running the same ones Checkmate put on it back in 2013. We had done enough testing to have a good idea of what the boat wanted.
For the props you're running, more testing the better, for the price point on those wheels. Nice work!!

1989 Spectra 171 with 8" setback Detwiller Hydro Jack. I had a 1989 Mercury 2.0 V6. Unknown mods (says "full Race" on oil pump block off plate) Bobs nose cone with 30P Hill signature chopper 65 MPH GPS @ 6700 RPM. Then I broke it. Now 1992 Mercury 135 2.0 V6 Bobs exhaust tuner, outlet and solid mounts. Top 2 holes plugged on Fleetmaster(?) lower unit. 29P Mazco RE3. 55 MPH GPS @ 6700 RPM I think my tach may be off. I should not be able to spin such a big prop this fast. It does not feel like the prop is slipping.

Something does not make sense. If we assume a 2.0 gear ratio (that could be wrong) you have at least 30% slip with a 30P at 65 mph. Since you speed reading is GPS, that is likely accurate. I would check the tach or install a borrowed one and compare to it. I doubt you would feel 30% slip since that is not unusual at part throttle on most boats but not WOT. I think you are correct that the tach is off. If it is not off, then the engine is way too high, or it is trimmed too high, or a pitot tube or something is too close to the prop and causing all that slippage.

Back