• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1988 Starliner with 250 XS questions

trip313

Hello, I am new to this forum. Just bought a 1988 Starliner with a 2005 Merc. 250 XS (2005 250 XS XL, serial # OT998344). I am trying to find out a few things.

As you can see from the photo the skeg is pretty heavily damaged. My question is will this effect the performance of the boat at high speeds (chine walk, etc.)? If so, anyone have good shop to send it to to get welded up and painted properly?

I would like to confirm I have a Torque Master lower unit. I have attached a photo of the lower unit head on showing the low water pick ups (four at the nose of the lower unit). I hope this is enough for someone to be able to tell me what lower unit it is. Also, what gear ratio would be in it?

The boat came with a Merc. Fury 25P prop. Is this a good prop for this boat? I was expecting it to have a higher pitch on it. What should I expect to get as my top RPMs with this prop? The engine name plate says it can go up to 6300RPM. The best I got was 5800 to 5900 with the throttle all the way open (no more movement left in the gear shift lever at the helm - I have not raised the engine). I am trying to figure out if this is all OK or do I need to get the engine looked at.

I also would like some input on what would be the best setback for this boat and some prop ideas. What should I expect as the maximum top speed considering the hull and engine.

I'll take any ideas and advice.

Thank you very much.
Trip

P.S. I'll get the photos up ASAP, once I figure out how to.

Congrats on the boat.

My dad's Starliner is an 89 with a 2017 250 XS bolted to the transom. It's seen 71 on GPS I believe. He's checking the prop and pitch and I'll post up when he gets back to me. I believe it's a 4 blade Trophy or Fury in a 24 pitch.

For setback, we have none, but performance would benefit from adding. I've ready anything from 6" to 14" brings quite a bit of top end - likely into the mid to upper 70s. I wouldn't advise changing props until you get your setback. You could easily gain RPMs getting the engine up higher.

Starliner

You buy that boat out of South jersey? If yes, it's 1.75 gears in a torque master lower, the boat could use more set back for speed

Not sure how you are making out since you posted. The 25 Fury is a great prop for that hull. Jackplate will get you more rpm. I found 8-10" setback to be fine. More than that and the boat porpoised at lower cruising speeds. Fury prop needs to run propshaft around 3" below pad (bottom of hull). They prefer to run a little deeper than a Trophy or Rev 4.
The hull is a low 70's boat with a 250. They are not nearly as fast as a Pulsare but a great riding hull and tons of fun. Enjoy.

The hull of the Starliner is the same as the Starflite, the only difference being the open bow of the Starliner. That being said, with 8"-10" of hydraulic jackplate and a Trophy Plus 26/27, you should see speeds in the 78-81 mph range if properly setup. Hydraulic steering is a must and you will have to tap and plug the top three gill holes on each side of the gear case to retain water pressure as you raise the motor. The Starliner hull has small steps which help it jump on plane but don't do anything once the hull is riding on the V-pad. My 1990 Starflite had a Mercury Pro XB 250, 6" hyd jackplate, 11.5" of setback and a Trophy Plus 27. The boat consistently ran 82mph GPS but drank fuel like a drunken sailor!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Reactions: JW
AND, it’ll need a tight fitting bow cover to improve the aerodynamics for top speed...

You buy that boat out of South jersey? If yes, it's 1.75 gears in a torque master lower, the boat could use more set back for speed

I did by the boat from Long Beach Island. Do you know the boat or any of its history?

Thanks for the answer.

Thats my old boat

Sold it to a guy in LBI 3 years ago. Bought it from Knarloid on these forums. I did the cover, jack plate, 250, trailer, steering. All done at Fullers Marine in Bayville. It was mint when I got it and I took it further. That prop and set up is low 70's. more set back will get you more speed. Very clean boat all its life, its not restored as the add said when you bought it, it's all original and each owner took care of it. Knarloid is a good guy, live in North Jersey, I believe he got it from the midwest. Its an exceptional boat. I picked it up from him dead of winter on New Years eve.... thats one boat i regret selling. I just bought a Checkmate center console from the same broker you used, he is a good guy and no BS.

It is my experience that the Starliner will not run as fast as a Starflite because the added weight up front in the open bow. Also run faster at sea level where Jup and some of the guys are. Not sure where you are boating but at 1000' above, nobody sees 80. Just saying.

The hull of the Starliner is the same as the Starflite, the only difference being the open bow of the Starliner. That being said, with 8"-10" of hydraulic jackplate and a Trophy Plus 26/27, you should see speeds in the 78-81 mph range if properly setup. Hydraulic steering is a must and you will have to tap and plug the top three gill holes on each side of the gear case to retain water pressure as you raise the motor. The Starliner hull has small steps which help it jump on plane but don't do anything once the hull is riding on the V-pad. My 1990 Starflite had a Mercury Pro XB 250, 6" hyd jackplate, 11.5" of setback and a Trophy Plus 27. The boat consistently ran 82mph GPS but drank fuel like a drunken sailor!!
attachment.php

attachment.php
What lower unit?

Back