• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800SX Outboard Restoration Begins!!!

I'm having trouble posting on S&F, but here works fine, the internet sucks tonight!

that boat is gonna be awesome, are you keeping the glass part of the wind shield?

Is that the original throttle control? It looks like somebody bolted a toaster to the gunnel. The boat will be beautiful when you're done. Any plans for the trailer...new or restore?

Jup you got a good start on the resto!!! That's gonna be one sweet boat when you're done!! How's the gelcoat? Does it need a good watersand/buff job? Keep the pictures coming!!

Is that the original throttle control? It looks like somebody bolted a toaster to the gunnel. The boat will be beautiful when you're done. Any plans for the trailer...new or restore?

It's not original...the boat was rigged with tripples at first. The shifter/throttles are Kiekaefers mounted in an aircraft quality aluminum box. The box needs to be polished out...it's on my list of to do's!

Jup you got a good start on the resto!!! That's gonna be one sweet boat when you're done!! How's the gelcoat? Does it need a good watersand/buff job? Keep the pictures coming!!

The gelcoat is in very good shape. There are a few minor scratches/chips that will be repaired. The black deck stripes need to be wheeled out and the dash will need a good waxing!

Yesterday was the first real day of working on the boat. I gutted the cabin with my wife's help. Carpet, headliner, cabinets, shelves, counter, seats, etc. all removed. We must've removed 300+ pounds out of the boat!

Attachments

• 2800 SX cabinets.jpg
    2800 SX cabinets.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 2800 SX interior 1.jpg
    2800 SX interior 1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 2800 SX interior 2.jpg
    2800 SX interior 2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 320
Here's the gutted cabin. It will recieve new padded vinyl headliner, new flooring/carpet/not sure yet??. The seats will be recovered with white vinyl/red piping. Only the bulkheads and port galley will be reinstalled once refinished. I'm not going to put up the cabinets or V-birth shelves.

Attachments

• 2800 SX dash.jpg
    2800 SX dash.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 2800 SX gutted cabin 2.jpg
    2800 SX gutted cabin 2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 2800 SX gutted cabin 1.jpg
    2800 SX gutted cabin 1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 164
Looks great.Its amazing how things snowball on you,I started out this winter to lighten our Velocity up a bit.Well months later and ive tore the whole bat apart removed the splashell bigger,knee braces,transom and complete rerig.Thats only 22ft I cant imagine how much fun your gonna have.It is nice to get it to a blank slate and build it just how you want it.:bigthumb:

Day 2 of work on the 28. Managed to swap my 2.4 from my 20" mid over to the Offshore clamp and 25" mid along with my lightweight cowl. I still have to marry 2nd Offshore clamp to the other 25" mid and mount the powerhead. Ran into one minor snag...I need to install longer lower mounting studs to reach through the High Performance adapter...and I need a 2nd High Performance adapter for the 2nd mid!!

Attachments

• Mercury 2.4 mounted 1.jpg
    Mercury 2.4 mounted 1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 130
  • Mercury 2.4 mounted 2.jpg
    Mercury 2.4 mounted 2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 2.4 mounted big.jpg
    2.4 mounted big.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 108
Found out some really exciting news about my boat directly from Checkmate today. The boat was laid up light as a race boat with AME 4000 resin, the transom was beefed up for tripples, the boat was
pre-rigged for tripples and the bottom was blue printed!!!!:bounce: The boat was originally sold to Dorchester Marine out of Charleston SC..

Yeah Baby!! Now we're talking!! Mike Combs is going to fax me the build sheet on the boat! ;) Kip and Mike are the greatest!!

Found out some really exciting news about my boat directly from Checkmate today. The boat was laid up light as a race boat with AME 4000 resin, the transom was beefed up for tripples, the boat was
pre-rigged for tripples and the bottom was blue printed!!!!:bounce: The boat was originally sold to Dorchester Marine out of Charleston SC..

Yeah Baby!! Now we're talking!! Mike Combs is going to fax me the build sheet on the boat! ;) Kip and Mike are the greatest!!

Jup my Enforcer was also built for Dorchester Marine!!! They beefed up the transom and DM hung twin 200 mercs on mine. THe original holes where there when I did the transom replacement. I've got a copy of the original work order. Wow small world we live in!!!:thumb:

Jup my Enforcer was also built for Dorchester Marine!!! They beefed up the transom and DM hung twin 200 mercs on mine. THe original holes where there when I did the transom replacement. I've got a copy of the original work order. Wow small world we live in!!!:thumb:

That is cool. The owner of Dorchester Marine, Benny Robinson, ordered my boat. I would like to find out if he's still around. He may know more about my boat...

That is cool. The owner of Dorchester Marine, Benny Robinson, ordered my boat. I would like to find out if he's still around. He may know more about my boat...

I'll ask some local guys here in Summerville and see if he's still around. He closed the store a few years back, it's a car lot now.

That's really cool, totally great news. I know your trying to get it in the water at a reasonable cost. I always thought that boat should have a pair of 300's on it, but now I really think it should have tripples again. (I have an easy time spending other people money for them) It would be a bit of a pain to get it all set up since the rigging is for three is gone, but you really would have a one of a kind boat if you did it.

I know you must be thinking about it?

Back