• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bought a Center Console!!! Barracuda 188!

JUPITER PULSARE

Well, after my trip to the keys in July, I've decided to buy a small Center Console. The ability to dive, snorkel, fish, run through shallow water, carry paddleboards and move about inside the boat really helped influence my decision. With my Pulsare 2400, I take extra precautions to keep the carpet dry, keep everything perfectly clean, avoid any gear that could damage the vinyl, cover the boat when not in use, etc. I think having a boat that I don't have to worry about so much will make salt water boating more enjoyable and versatile. I still have my Pulsare (for the time being) for when I want to go fast but I've just purchased a 2017 Barracuda 188 with a 2017 Suzuki DF 140A with only 80 hours on a tandam axle aluminum trailer with brakes (a bit of overkill on the trailer). It's the biggest, most roomy 18'8" Center Console I've ever seen! The boat is like brand new and loaded with options! Live well, underwater lighting, powder coated foldable T-Top, Simrad, JBL Stereo system with amp & 6 speakers, removable rear seat backrests, bow seating, lighted cup holders, front center console cooler seat, rod storage, rocket launches, hydraulic steering and more! Since I can't travel to my home in Costa Rica (for the time being due to Covid 19), I think I'm going to be doing a lot more boating!

Attachments

• barracuda 4.jpg
    barracuda 4.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 56
  • barracuda 5.jpg
    barracuda 5.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 52
  • barracuda 6.jpg
    barracuda 6.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 44
I like it. I like the color too. I'm guessing that the rear headrests pull out for using the swim step when boarding if you were to have tanks on your back. You could put a line under sim on simrad and see if anyone noticed.

I like it. I like the color too. I'm guessing that the rear headrests pull out for using the swim step when boarding if you were to have tanks on your back. You could put a line under sim on simrad and see if anyone noticed.

Yes, the back rests are removable. They lift straight up.

I bought one also

Yes, the back rests are removable. They lift straight up.
I have a 32 Donzi CC I am selling now and Just picked up a 25 Checkmate SFx, I miss the small speed boats like my stoker, velocity and the starliner I had but the CC just are better set up for families and kids.

I have a 32 Donzi CC I am selling now and Just picked up a 25 Checkmate SFx, I miss the small speed boats like my stoker, velocity and the starliner I had but the CC just are better set up for families and kids.

I have not had a CC since 1999. Everything was a go-fast boat..Velocity, Checkmate, Hydrostream, Canadian Edition, Talon, Sleekcraft...After taking my July vacation in the Florida Keys and running around in my Pulsare 2400 and my friend's Center Console, I really found myself enjoying the CC. Standing up behind the console gives a much different perspective when running through clear waters. You see so much more. Not that I can't stand up and drive the Pusare 2400, It's just not that convenient. Also, we loaded paddle boards up in the CC and went exploring. We went snorkeling numerous times and it was nice not worrying about getting carpet soaked with gear. The ease of moving about, dropping anchor, tying up at docks, etc. is so much easier on the CC. Checkmate's SFX is a great CC. Performance and fishability! I just couldn't find one cheap enough!

I hear ya

How nice no carpet! The kids can eat and drink and just hose it off. Didn't you have something to do with Active Thunder?? I bought a 28 Savage in 2005, did you work with them? The Sfx with a 300xs runs mid 50's tops, I thought it would be faster. It has 3 props. I will spend a day messing with them.But its got a jack plate...lol

How nice no carpet! The kids can eat and drink and just hose it off. Didn't you have something to do with Active Thunder?? I bought a 28 Savage in 2005, did you work with them? The Sfx with a 300xs runs mid 50's tops, I thought it would be faster. It has 3 props. I will spend a day messing with them.But its got a jack plate...lol

Yes, I was the factory rep from 1997 to 2000. I worked for Pat, did all the boat shows, factory tours, design ideas, client build sheets, etc. It was a great time for the high performance boat industry. The big gas crunch hit in 2000 and put a damper on sales.

A/T was a great boat

Wish I could remember who sold me mine, It was only 6 months old and I bought it out of divorce. Looked at new and the sales guy mentioned this one In Virginia and it was super clean maybe 30 hours. From what I heard the sales guy passed away a few years back. Sad he was a good guy.

Wish I could remember who sold me mine, It was only 6 months old and I bought it out of divorce. Looked at new and the sales guy mentioned this one In Virginia and it was super clean maybe 30 hours. From what I heard the sales guy passed away a few years back. Sad he was a good guy.

Was your AT a 32' with lot's of Purple? If so, I sold it to the original owners who were from VA (who eventually wound up getting divorced shortly thereafter. They traded in a 25' Checkmate Convincor to us for the AT!) The AT would've had HP500's if I remember correctly...I took that boat on the 1999 Key West Poker Run. I left Active Thunder in 2000. After I left there was a string of factory reps including Jay Ross (Sonic), Steve Wilson (Apache), John Boscarino (Powerplay)....To my knowledge, they're all alive and well!

Last edited:
It was a 28AT

28 with blue/silver splashed on the side, 496HO and I pulled that and put a 525 merc blue motor in it. Super cool boat on a myco tripple axle trailer. Really nice, just as the family grew the boat style changed with it. I have to find a pic.

Had an awesome maiden voyage on the Barracuda CC last Sunday..It's quite a bit different than a performance boat! You feel a lot more chop and wakes with the shallow deadrise. Spinning a crappy aluminum prop and dragging a T-Top and full fuel tank/gear I was seeing a blistering 41MPH GPS. Mmmm..time for jack plate and a SS prop.....

Attachments

• BARRACUDA 1.jpg
    BARRACUDA 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 7
Starting to enjoy my center console! Completed a small gelcoat repair, ordered a LED T-Top light, bought a semi-custom boat cover. Cleaned up some wiring inside the console, etc. Gonna look into a stainless steel prop to eek out some more speed. If the weather is good, I may go for a boat ride on Sunday!

Attachments

• barracuda 1.jpg
    barracuda 1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 7
  • barracuda 2.jpg
    barracuda 2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 9
Suzuki's are great motors. I had one on a fishing rig and loved it. The only thing I disliked about, if you can say that, is it was so quiet at idle I would forget to shut it off when we would get to a new spot. I finally got in the habit of checking for a pee stream to double check.

Suzuki's are great motors. I had one on a fishing rig and loved it. The only thing I disliked about, if you can say that, is it was so quiet at idle I would forget to shut it off when we would get to a new spot. I finally got in the habit of checking for a pee stream to double check.

My Verado 300 Pro was quieter than the Suzuki. Sometimes I would forget that I already started the motor!! The DF 140 is a real lightweight performer! It only weights 410 lbs, DOHC with 4 valves/cylinder, multi point sequential electronic fuel injection, performance lightweight cowl with large air induction, revs to 6200 rpm & more.

Attachments

• barracuda 1.jpg
    barracuda 1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 11
  • barracuda 5.jpg
    barracuda 5.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 15
  • barracuda 2.jpg
    barracuda 2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 16
Added some bling to my Barracuda! Installed a T-top LED light yesterday!

Attachments

• 7F765053-BE46-4543-AEEA-709F7F0CD9DE.jpg
    7F765053-BE46-4543-AEEA-709F7F0CD9DE.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 11
  • FFC571F1-8A74-4D1B-A62C-73CA3A6B3674.jpg
    FFC571F1-8A74-4D1B-A62C-73CA3A6B3674.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 978EA1BD-5517-4A90-B895-A607F154E44A.jpg
    978EA1BD-5517-4A90-B895-A607F154E44A.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: 282
Bought a brand new Suzuki 3X14X22 SS prop for the Barracuda! So far the best I’ve seen is 43mph on a full tank. Hoping to at least get to 45-46 mph with the SS prop!

Back