• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

BRP to stop selling Evinrude?

Hmmmmmm...anyone want to buy a Starliner with G2 on it? Still has 3 years warranty on it! lol

When I ponder Evinrude, I think back upon those little 4-60 motors (Elto) in the Midget racers of yore. Methanol, toluene, castor oil, and some tetraethel lead to squelch engine knock. Spin em to nearly 8000 rpm and you could get 80 hp. Pretty cool stuff. Somewhat economical at the time too considering the cost of Offenhauser stuff.

When I was living in Venezuela, in the 80’s I was a dealer with Evinrude and a dominating force in the outboard market down there, it was great to do battle in the races with Mercury, we had boats with looper V-4’s, V-6’s and 8’s plus heavily modified V-6’s and V-8’s with help from my friend Gary Garbrecht (RIP) with Second Effort and Land & Sea’s Bob Bergeron, who taught me the fine art of porting, RIP my friend, we really tore up the race circuit and at the same time giving the Mercury powered race boats lots of headaches. I really was hoping that Evinrude would come out with a big 400+ HP engine, every year hoping to hear big news out of the Evinrude camp from the Miami Boat show. I’m sad but not surprised, Bombardier has closed down their commercial aircraft division concentrating solely on corporate aircraft, a big downsize move, and at that time I thought to my self “I hope they don’t stop making Evinrude’s”

Because of multiple Progressive Goverments

and a winey Eastern Province in which they are located,

Mine and every other Canadian's Tax dollars have been supporting that screwed up corporation for years. I wish Mercury would still have competition for the benefit of the consumer, but the truth is, for the last number of years, they weren't much competition anyway.

Good riddance.

Back