• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Enchanter Setup/ Can I break 70?

JLee91

Hey all,

Was hoping for some tips on chasing a few extra mph out of my 79 Enchanter.

Current setup:

2.4 mercury, warmed up a little. 20in mid, sei gearcase with top 4 holes plugged.
8inch setback bracket w/ a 4 inch jack plate.
I have a 25 Trophy, a 26 Tempest, and a 26 Chopper.

I have tested all props at various heights and they all seem to top out in the neighborhood of 68-69mph (gps) and 6000-6100rpm.

Anything else I can try prop or setup wise to get more speed? A prop with less pitch to turning more rpm perhaps?

Thanks for looking.

12” of total set back is in the right ballpark. How high can you get the propshaft centerline on the jackplate before you lose water pressure? Hopefully you can do 1-2” above the pad? If so trying a 23 or 24 Trophy plus may be all you have left to play with.

Running the prop above the pad is something I have not tried yet. I did run it just about even with the pad on one outing with the trophy but it felt as if I was slipping the prop more and losing bow lift. I had enough water pressure at that height to run with motor trimmed darn near parallel with the water but couldn't trim up much more than that without losing psi.

Above recommendations help. Low water pickup via nose cone or transom pick up may help not sure if you have one already…. Transom pickup is ugly but works. The 26 chopper may be limiting the RPM, If the engine can withstand, 6800-7200 RPM then try a 24 Chopper. We also used to pull out the back bench and bed pad underneath the bow to lighten up the boat.

Running the prop above the pad is something I have not tried yet. I did run it just about even with the pad on one outing with the trophy but it felt as if I was slipping the prop more and losing bow lift. I had enough water pressure at that height to run with motor trimmed darn near parallel with the water but couldn't trim up much more than that without losing psi.
How high was the rooster tail? You may have been over trimmed.

How high was the rooster tail? You may have been over trimmed.
Running even with the pad my rooster tail was a little higher than the cowling, maybe by a foot or so. I think I'm going to jack it back up and see what happens. I was under the impression that going any higher wouldn't give the prop enough grip on the water to carry the bow but perhaps I'm not quite there yet. I also never tried running the chopper way up like that.

How heavy is the boat? I have a 2020 2400 Pulsare / 300R with a Torquemaster II. I have tried many props but the 24P Bravo FS was about the best overall. Then I tried a 24P ProMax and it was 3 mph faster and I could raise the jackplate at least 3/4" higher and the slip did not increase. I have now ordered a labbed 26P ProMax to try.

Running even with the pad my rooster tail was a little higher than the cowling, maybe by a foot or so. I think I'm going to jack it back up and see what happens. I was under the impression that going any higher wouldn't give the prop enough grip on the water to carry the bow but perhaps I'm not quite there yet. I also never tried running the chopper way up like that.
The four blade Trophy + can run on the surface quite well and still bite enough water to drive the boat forward and lift the bow.

Back