• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

Ā» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    Ā» Post topics and messages
    Ā» Post and view photos
    Ā» Communicate privately with other members
    Ā» Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    Ā» Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New checkmate owner from Canada - have a couple questions šŸ˜Ž

Stanholo

Hi all; First time owning a checkmate or a proper speed boat for that matter. I have owned many fish boats and rigid hull inflatables (all outboards) over the years but never anything like this.

This is my new to me 1990 Checkmate Maxxum 229. (She has a new 357 magnum long block, overboard apparently, also with new alpha 1 leg). Here are my questions I hope some donā€™t mind answering.

1. Do I start out with the leg all the way down and the trim tabs all the way up? Are the trim tabs just to adjust side to side balance or also up/down. Iā€™m a bit confused if I should use the leg up/down to balance out the bow up/down at speed or should I use the trim tabs? Any advice?

2. For these Chevy 357 Magnums; what is considered a ā€œnormalā€ running RPM? On the sea trial she seemed very happy at 3,000 RPM, WOT was ~5,000 RPM. Any advice, Iā€™m not really sure how hard these engines like to run coming from the Yamaha outboard world.

3. I will be running this boat on the sea (west coast); to me it looks like decent V bottom / dead rise. Any opinions about running these boats in more significant chopā€¦ or are they really best out on the lakes only?

Thanks in advance for any replies, canā€™t wait to get out on her! Cheers

Attachments

• B26E259C-412B-4C22-A16D-2B42DBD8BBF6.jpeg
    B26E259C-412B-4C22-A16D-2B42DBD8BBF6.jpeg
    931.5 KB · Views: 16
Yes, you start off with the sterndrive leg all the way down, and then raise it as you get on plane. Checkmates are known for a bit of hopping/porpoising at low plane speeds, on mine with no trim tabs I have to leave the outboard down all the way a bit longer than my fat Formula 242SS with a 454/Bravo 1. Trim tabs may help with this. My Formula is my first boat with trim tabs, I mainly use them for side to side balancing, I haven't needed them to get on plane. I sure some other people here have better advice on when to use them on a Checkmate. Don't know about the hull shape on my Maxxums, my 2 (Predictor and Enchanter) are better suited for lakes, river and the sound when it's not as choppy, the Enchanter does better being longer.

Welcome to the forum and Checkmates!

Last edited:
Yes, you start off with the sterndrive leg all the way down, and then raise it as you get on plane. Checkmates are known for a bit of hopping/porpoising at low plane speeds, on mine with no trim tabs I have to leave the outboard down all the way a bit longer than my fat Formula 242SS with a 454/Bravo 1. Trim tabs may help with this. My Formula is my first boat with trim tabs, I mainly use them for side to side balancing, I haven't needed them to get on plane. I sure some other people here have better advice on when to use them on a Checkmate. Don't know about the hull shape on my Maxxums, my 2 (Predictor and Enchanter) are better suited for lakes, river and the sound when it's not as choppy, the Enchanter does better being longer.

Welcome to the forum and Checkmates!
Thanks for the info Jumbo šŸ‘šŸ»

Back