• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

PROJECT: Clean StarFlite

keith4216

I saw this Starflite last summer and thought to myself, I bet that would be a sharp boat if it was waxed up a little. Well as it turns out the Starflite has been unknowingly to the owner removed from the property and sitting at my house. I'm only gonna show parts of the boat and see how long before it clicks, Hey thats my boat.:bigthumb:

Once the boat was dropped off I gave her a checking over and a serious sanding and buffing is the only hope here. I chose a small test area to see how much was going to be needed to get the oxidation cut off and a hope of shine back to her.
I choose the cooler lid since it was about the worst and easiest to repaint if I was in for a surprise.
IMG_20140502_161111_zpslli1fdla.jpg

I ended up with 800,1200,2000 and then heavy cut compound. I was also having to watch my edges pretty close since the boat has been buffed before and shows a thinning edge here and there. I think it turned out pretty good for what it was to start. I don't think I even knew it had flake.
IMG_20140502_191922_zpsuf0a9k5p.jpg
IMG_20140502_191943_zpsghgta9wd.jpg
I will go over with 3 more products once all is sanded and buffed.

Once I figured out what I needed I had to go to the store and get some suplies. This things gonna need alot of elbow grease. Next I tackled the the main part. My elbows will be sore tommorow.
IMG_20140502_132447_zpsts1tei6b.jpg
IMG_20140502_132431_zps0emct9xc.jpg
IMG_20140502_132419_zpsnavbfx9r.jpg

IMG_20140503_192720_zpspwd2eo6q.jpg
IMG_20140503_190854_zpsznkwu6oi.jpg
IMG_20140503_190824_zps1rgt3lnt.jpg

Gonna use the elbow to curls some cans now. Will get back on it in the morning.

Well done! You're giving me hope for my Starliner. I think I'll be biting that off this summer too. I wanted to do it over the winter but I don't have a shope that can handle the Liner on a it's trailer. Once again, nice work! :cheers:

Holy crap! If the clear wasn't chipping so bad I would ask what the heck u used to get that kind of shine. Man that is awesome. Great job.

Holy crap! If the clear wasn't chipping so bad I would ask what the heck u used to get that kind of shine. Man that is awesome. Great job.

Thats just oxidized gel that I sanded and buffed the crap out of. I put about 6hrs on that deck today and will still go over it with a fine cut and wax.

Looks amazing, we have refinished a number of old Checkmates and the formula was the same as yours starting with the 800. I currently have an 05 Pulsare and before that, I had an 07 Hydrostream and the newer finishes are just different than the older boats. The EPA probably does not allow the chemicals used back then!!

Nice work,
Chuck

That turned out good. :poke:what's up with the no octane fuel your consuming?

I don't mix work and pleasure, just screws up the pleasure:cheers:

I was made to take the day off for my sons birthday party and family from out of town being with us. I'll get back on her tommorow.

Back