• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Starflite Oxidation Removal Project

MateFever

So the previous owner of my starflite did a pretty good job (sort of) keeping the interior of my boat in decent shape but not so much the exterior. Last year before I ever put it on the water I spent a day trying to buff the color out and bring back what I could. Everything turned out ok but the blue really needed some more love. I decided to go after it this year. I wet sanded with 800, 1000, 1500, 3m perfect it compound, meguiars number 9 swirl remover, meguiars number 7 show car glaze and finally liquid glass. Here's how it all turned out, not perfect but definitely better than it was.
Before
image_zpsp2afov1e.jpg
After
image_zpsxmzji7gh.jpg
image_zpscfakadrx.jpg
image_zpsnmifhe6f.jpg
image_zpsnkmqkaxv.jpg
image_zpsn425ar5n.jpg

Looks darn good. I personally would have stuck with all 3m products.. Best out there IMO, have been detailing with them for 12+ years.. great stuff.. Still turned out great.. :thumb:

John

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I did not remove any hardware which made the blue stripes by the windshield a challenge. And merc, I agree with the white. My father I law has a black starflite and I was pretty dead set on getting one but I really like the white.

Looks great! I did the same to my 86 playmate.... it was alot of elbow grease on just a 12ft boat, couldnt imagine doi g it on a bigger boat like yours!

What rpm on buffer did you compound, #9, #7, and wax with?

Boat turned out nice and looks great. Have you looked into the cause of the "chalky white" on the mid section of the Merc? Might be a leaking powerhead base gasket or was the inner liner removed from the tower? Just something to think about.

Yep, the result of sitting in the water and of course lake red rock hard water. Mary Kate on and off for outboards and outdrives took care of it after about 10 applications. Next time I will use the toilet bowl cleaner.

Back