• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Water Pump/Impeller replacement

Are you 100% positive youve got a tight muff? I dont know how many times Ive had to deal w/ a loose muff. A bad muff could be your problem...sometimes you just need a little extra PSI

Are you 100% positive youve got a tight muff? I dont know how many times Ive had to deal w/ a loose muff. A bad muff could be your problem...sometimes you just need a little extra PSI

Boston that's a good question. i've got one that just slides over the intake/holes on the foot. My alarm went off so I shut the engine off and
haven't tried it again. I assume my water pump/impeller is bad.

i prefer tight n trimmed up :bigthumb: ! lol the play on words w/ whats on our brains sex,boats ,hobbies . . . hell role it all into 1 ! ive had pop, milk n water ,but the java ? ouch :D

West Marine has the water pump kit for my motor, but it's not a oem. The replacement or aftermarket kit is made by Sierra. Would this be ok are should i look for a Mercury oem kit?

I've used both Mercury and Sierra parts. The Sierra stuff I've used so far has been OK, but when it comes to critical things like the water pump I go with the Mercury stuff. If your closest dealer is 90 miles away, then google Mercury outboard water pump and you'll come up with some good places to order it online. The hardest thing about changing a water pump is getting that dang LU back on...............................

I think I'd just try a new impellor before I spent the money on a whole new pump assembly. And make sure it's really the water pump and not a clogged hose.

Put your LU into a big bucket of water. Pop the cowling. Pull one of your water hoses off the back of the motor. Blow into the hose HARD, and you should see bubbles coming from the LU. Might take a couple of breaths to get the air down there. I got a motor that was so full of crud, it couldn't flow. By blowing backwards into the system, I got it cleared out and then the water flowed fine.
You sure you dont have a mud dauber wasp build his baby nest up in there? Happens to me every year. Wish I was there to help you mess around with it................

Jw thanks for the info and advice. I'll try the things you suggested first before doing a water pump replacement. On my other boats i've have dirt
dauber in the oulet hose.

Another question; would that cuase my alarm to go off?

Btw i could fly you down south for a week or you could relocate here.:D

Find me a great job and a house on a nice lake, and I'm there.......................

Alarm went off because your motor got hot enough to set it off. The mud dauber up the pee hole wont cause that, but if you got mud daubers up higher and are blocking the exit hoses then yes, the alarm can go off because you can't get water out of the heads.

If you trim your engine all the way down and jack up the nose of the boat as far as possible without damaging your skeg, you can try pulling the hoses off the top of your heads and see if you get water flow up there. (angle up the boat to let the water fall away from the engine). Or, simply pull those hoses and make sure they're clear with some air. And pull that T-Stat out and take a look. I had an engine stop flowing water because the T-Stat was full of tiny shells and couldn't open anymore.

I think I'd just try a new impellor before I spent the money on a whole new pump assembly. And make sure it's really the water pump and not a clogged hose.

Put your LU into a big bucket of water. Pop the cowling. Pull one of your water hoses off the back of the motor. Blow into the hose HARD, and you should see bubbles coming from the LU. Might take a couple of breaths to get the air down there. I got a motor that was so full of crud, it couldn't flow. By blowing backwards into the system, I got it cleared out and then the water flowed fine.
You sure you dont have a mud dauber wasp build his baby nest up in there? Happens to me every year. Wish I was there to help you mess around with it................

JW,

I disconnected the hose from the t-stat,left side facing the motor. Both t-stat's are ok.The only air i'm getting is from the tell tale or the outlet hose. I didn't have a bucket deep enough to cover the LU so i had a friend to put his hands over the holes, he felt no air coming out. Any more idea's? I might change the impeller anyway.

I had my wife pick up a water pump kit from the local mercury dealer here not a bad price $49.00 plus tax. While i'm working on the lower unit i'll change the foot oil as well. Oh the joys of owning boat!!!!:eyecrazy:

A big thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I got the LU off, the top of the water pump came off with no trouble. Need some help now. The impeller is stuck on about an 1" off the bottom next to the WP housing. Is there a trick to getting it off. Any hlep would be appreciated. See attached.

thanks

Attachments

• 107_0740.JPG
    107_0740.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 18
Fried pump

Your just gonna have to muscle it off. These things are a bitch to get off sometimes. I used a long screwdriver and retard strength. Try soaking it in WD40 for a while. Its not going to come off without a good fight.

Thanks Boston Predicter that tip worked. I finally got the LU back in, cranked the motor within a few minutes started pissing:D. Then it just quit pissing a few minutes later:(. Now the buzzer will not go off, my gauges quit working....WTF. Man when it goes wrong it goes wrong. I have no idea what's going on. Help!!!:confused:

Back