• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Need opinions! - Deposit down on Starliner/225EFI

Needafunboat

Hi Guys,

Well I finally decided to do it. I put a refundable deposit down on that starliner. Here are some of the pics. that were sent. While this may be painful, could you guys scour the photos and let me know what you see. I'd like to get some opinions before I drive 10hours.

I see a couple of areas that will need some attention - rear starboard side scuff and a very dirty motor being the biggest. Small tear in rear seat side, few scratches on very front bow, oxidized swim platform+scuff, medium wear on the carpet. I need some port side pics

Overall I think it's in great condition for the age (1988) with a 1997 motor - but not quite the condition I'd like for the price ($8500) - any opinions on that? I figure it's a little high, but not horrible and I really like the color. Owner claims it's been garage all of it's life, but the oxidized swim platforms maybe suggest that it's been covered for a while. In any case I think the interior is good (new vinyl on the rear bench and capt chairs but orig in the front).

Let me know what you guys think if I can post these pics... Thanks

Better yet, he' just became our latest supporting member. :)

He can attach or upload his pics to his posts.

There are instructions pinned to the top of the "picture this" forum on how to do it. You can use either approach, but to attach you use the upload set.

Pictures UP!!

I didn't see the size restrictions. I think this should work. Looks like little cosmetic things to me. Floor and transom are said to be solid - orig. carpet looks OK so I'm inclined to belive the owner. Has supposedly been trailered and stored inside all of it's life.

Let me know what you guys think - please point out anything that you think could be a problem or I should carefully look over. Thanks!!

Attachments

• side up_Email.JPG
    side up_Email.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 74
  • back.JPG
    back.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 59
Pics up!

morepics. I figured out that you have to crop them to get OK resolution that uploads.

Attachments

• front crop.JPG
    front crop.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 56
  • int crop.JPG
    int crop.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 59
still more pics

More pics...

Attachments

• rear stbd crop.JPG
    rear stbd crop.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 44
  • side front crop.JPG
    side front crop.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 47
that look really clean and its got the low windshield.

is that midsection dirty? or is it all white from being run wot for long distances. mine did the same thing. the paint gets cooked from not having any water around the outside to cool it.

I think Matt is right about the mid. Originally I thought maybe the motor was previously on a boat that was left in the water, but if that was the case the lower would be dirty also. It looks like the discoloration is only on the mid. I've never had anything long enough (or fast enought) to know what Matt's talking about, but I know he knows.

Why cant you buy a piece of crap & fix it up like the rest of us! Looks great, hang about 8 inches of set back on it & go. That boat could go mid 70s real easy.

For a red hull and deck that boat looks real nice. Usually the colored hulls and decks will show the oxidation/fade the quickest. This boat seems to have a great shine yet ! Interior looks pretty crisp too !

Looks better then mine..I think you are nit picking:poke:,every thing you described,you can also find on my boat,cracked seats discoloration,worn carptet..I was going crazy keeping my boat clean,but with 4 kids i had to cave in or go crazy..Tha t is a Sharp looking boat and with some TLC it will stay looking sharp..Wait till you take out the 1st time..My red boat was like a magnet,made everybodies head turn,even the guys in the giant super boats..
:cheersgood luck with it...

if you are going to make a ten hour trip,,maybe try to get the guy to service the bearings on that trailer and get new tires{old tires maybe cracked and not ready for the long haul},,it can be a nightmare if your bearings seize..try to get a spare tire too.And be carefull if it rains and the trailer don't have brakes..I have no brakes and forget and almost pee myself everytime I am going to stop,,I lightly press brakes and front wheels instantly lock up,,need to push harder to get all 4 to grab..

boat is in good shape, i agree have the bearings done and take yourself a spair.

in the past when i forget a spare i need it if you take it you wont

tires dont age well

you got a fair deal..you got a bigger newer motor..
you paid 8500 for 88 boat & 97 225efi
I paid 7800 for a 91 boat and a 91 200 johnson (carbs)
be happy the boat don't have the original 88 motor he would be looking for 7500,

That's a great looking boat. I have always loved the lines, they look fast sitting on the trailer.
Has the owner done a compression test on the motor? If not I would have that done before going to get it.

FWIW, i've had that white discoloration around the mid section on my one 235 rude. I bought it that way and was told that it was due to cooked paint. Not that it's a big deal, but i'd have the lower unit inspected for tired oil and slop in the guts. Otherwise, looks decent, and price is OK if all checks out OK. If there are any big problems (such as lower unit/low compression, soft floor etc) then the price paid is too much.

Back