• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The Slow Ski boat rides again!

JW

Staff member
Nobody home today but us chickens (me and the dogs), so I decided to polish the old Pulse. I spent about 20 minutes doing that, and I got BORED. I hate waxing boats. Anyway, since the cover was off and it's nice and sunny and 62............................:surf:

Up to the garage I go. The previous owner had included a couple of aluminum 3-blade props, and I was after the rebuilt one. The other is tore up, I'll probably toss it. Last time I was out, the tachometer read 6100-6200 rpms with the 21" High 5 :eyecrazy: and this old 2.0 isn't ported/carbed/tuned to run that high. I know it doesn't hurt the motor, but I'm well above the power curve. Merc says WOT operating range is 5,000 - 5600. Hole-shot wasn't too impressive either, considering the amount of rpm I was getting at WOT. So I pulled off the High 5 and installed a rebuilt 21" Michigan Wheel (gag) 3-blade . Grabbed my GPS too.

Lowered the shore station, threw the mooring cover on the dock, and went for a slow ride to warm up the motah. First thing I noticed is the hole-shot is just as good with the 3-blade aluminum as the stainless High 5. I think I'm overpowering the High 5 (2:1 lower unit) and it's slipping too much on hole-shot. Anyway, once warmed up I line up straight down the long section of the lake and make a down-wind pass. Whoa, 56 mph? Not bad for a little 2.0 135 mounted all the way down on the transom spinning a marginal aluminum prop! 3/4 tank of gas. 5800-5900 rpms on the tachometer too :D On the return trip against the wind, I manage 55 mph. So my ol' Lady's' ski boat will top-end the Malibu ski boats on the lake :bigthumb:

Now, I bought this boat to pull the old lady around tubing, and that's it! But of course, now that I'm only 4 mph from 60, I've got the need to tune :banana:

I'm wondering, what would a 23" Laser II or Trophy Plus do on this hull?? I might stay in the WOT range and hit 60 or better, as long as it's cool out like today :cheers

And if I can hit 60 with the wife's ski rig, then the gauntlet will be thrown down for Chris to get his XR4 150 equipped Pulse 170 above 60 :rof:
The challenge of the two slowest 'Mates on the site!

Shame on me, this is the wife's tow pig, not my hot boat..................................:sssh:

AND, the steering wasn't even tight yet :rof:

Dont have to worry about chine walk when you can't get above 60 mph :p

Jim,

When I run mine with the high five it tends to wind and cavitate a bit too. If I've got it totally trimmed down, it's minimal, if it's up a bit though, then it slips quite a bit.

I got a 26" Laser II off Gary last year (great prop and service by the way), but I can't spin it fast enough. I can only get the XR4 winding at around 5K. So I'm going to bug Gary again in a couple of months for another one with a bit less pitch. :)

No jack plate for me! I'm not going to invest much time or effort to get max speed out of this rig. I'll play with props, maybe raise the motor to the middle holes, but that's it. 135 horse is still just 135 horse. I AM keeping my eye out for a 2.5 Merc though, 1992 or newer, 150 - 225.......................;)

Chris, I've only had good luck with a High 5 on my I/O Persuader. Every time I try one on an outboard Checkmate, they suck. Since I can spin mine well over 6,000 I'll probably get rid of it. What I am thinking about is investing in the $500 set of electric trim tabs. Make the hole-shot similar to my old Pulsare and allow me to drive down to 20 mph without falling off plane. Without pulling anyone yesterday I slowed down to 20-24 mph (tubing speeds) and I really had to modulate the throttle to keep it on plane. I need to check the down-trim limit now that I think of it.

what tabs would you get ? i was thinkin of goin that route before ,but holes ,function etc

I'd get the electric small tabs that I read about in Family and Performance Boating magazine. I think Bennett makes them, might be the other major brand. Can't remember the name. Major brand, easy install, $500 ain't too bad, easy boat leveling side-to-side, big help with slow running.

I found them on the Overtons catalog, by Lenco. Closer inspection, I see Lenco doesn't have the switchs in the 'package'. So $490 doesn't get you switchs, and the switch adds $149.
They also show Lectro Tab. A pair of Lectro Tab trim tabs with the dual switch is $570. Now I'm not as inclined to go that route, it's getting pricey.

Back a page to the hydrofoils. I HATE HYDROFOILS. They typically ruin high speed running, even with the motor trimmed out. The Sting Ray XRIII stabilizer might be an option though. It's $119 and is the only one that doesn't bolt through the cav plate. According to the description, it has some sort of clamping system. 'Vice-block 3-point locking system for easy no-drill installation.' Wonder how easy that is to take on an off.

is it designed to be taken off /on off etc as needed , plus i dont know how effective those are !

Here's what it looks like:

76008_L1.jpg

On this page:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro..._hp_300_hp&merchID=1008&str=76008&from=search

It doesnt look as wide as the typical hydrofoil, which is good. I'm wondering if I could leave it on for tubing, then if I'm going touring somwhere take it off.

the lenco tabs are awesome, sold a set of "troll and tabs" to a guy, they had trolling motors mounted on the tabs - they worked very well.

Bobs Machine Shop has a hydrofoil called True Tracker Stabilizer plate. That one looks smaller than the one @ overton's.

Attachments

• stab_plate-bt_235.jpg
    stab_plate-bt_235.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 7
Without being able to experience each of them, it's hard to know which hydrofoil will help hold the bow down at slow speeds but not interfere when WOT. Trim tabs are expensive, but probably the bestest way to go......................

I agree with you there. I had that ugly whale fin on my mota when i bought the boat. I would not let the boat leave the Dealership until they took it off.

I'll have to check mine and see how slow I can run it and still keep on plane.

From what I recall it's in the low 20's.

Back