• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

predictor motor question

smit401

The predictor is now finished and ready for it's first run of the season. I am also starting the starflite and must pull the motor off of the back. I was looking at the evinrude and wondering if anyone has a 200 XP on a predictor.
If not do you think it is too much for that hull?
The boat should run fine with the 115 but I know I will be bored real fast with that motor. what are your thoughts about pulling the 115 and bolting the XP?

There are several people on the site that have 200hp Mercs on Predictors, so I would think the JohnnyRude would be OK.

I was looking at a 175 XP Before I found my Mercury. From what I was told they are a pretty good motor but are significantly heavier than a Merc V6 and really like the fuel. I thought I read somewhere that the Intruders were a bit lighter and quite a bit more reliable. Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong, just what I remember hearing. I don't think it would be too much for the boat, just have to really learn how to drive it.

I say go for it. I have a 150 Merc on mine and am bored with it already. Now I want a 225 Promax. The XP should be great. Get a 2.5"-4" jackplate and you should be good.

Jack plate

I would stay with the 4" jackplate if it's at 16' boat. I have the same size motor on at 17' Panther( same hull as the V-Mate2) and on a six inch plate it's heavy enough. Great nmotor though! I'm still moving the motor higher up to about 1.5" below the pad and should be 82 to 83mph with a worked 26 Raker.I have tight dual cable steering and solid motor mounts, do not try this on you're boat without these!

Steve

OMC + Overpowered is an oxymoron! :eek::D

leaving.gif

I'd go with the XP over the 115 tho. Personally I wouldnt want anything less than a 150 on a predictor.

predictor maiden voyage

well we finally got the predictor wet yesterday.After weeks of buffing and waxing and a new jack plate and new carpet and all new deck hardware etc. we took it out. it was a beautiful day on the Chesapeake and the boat ran perfect.the jack plate added about 5 MPH and it handles a little different. anyway it was a great day.It will need more power after this season but for now we will use it as it is.
What a fun little boat!!!!
I added two pictures .

Attachments

• memorial day bay 2009 025.jpg
    memorial day bay 2009 025.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 51
  • memorial day bay 2009 027.jpg
    memorial day bay 2009 027.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 48
The predictor is now finished and ready for it's first run of the season. I am also starting the starflite and must pull the motor off of the back. I was looking at the evinrude and wondering if anyone has a 200 XP on a predictor.
If not do you think it is too much for that hull?
The boat should run fine with the 115 but I know I will be bored real fast with that motor. what are your thoughts about pulling the 115 and bolting the XP?

just picked an 84 predictor for my kids.i am repainting it and all new hardware.one question is did you use the orig rubrail or get a new one and where did you get it.plus if you have any closeup pics of the checkmate logo on the side because i want to replace them .thanks

I was able to use the original rubrail. you can see the checkmate decal on the one picture if you zoom in on it. You can get them on e-bay.

Back