• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Winter Projects......

SCT

I've been thinking about adding a set of these underwater LED lights to my transom as a winter project. I'm not crazy about putting more holes in my transom but I do like the looks of them at night. There are several makers and some of the lights are very expensive but the set I'm looking at is a couple hundred for the kit.

Here is a video-
http://www.shadow-caster.com/gallery.html

So what do you guys think? Pretty cool or you would not even wish that on Big Red's boat?

Attachments

• lights2.JPG
    lights2.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 48
  • lights5.JPG
    lights5.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 43
  • NIght%20Boat%20Shot.jpg
    NIght%20Boat%20Shot.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 43
Some more pixs-

Attachments

• sc_bbgirls1.jpg
    sc_bbgirls1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC05702.jpg
    DSC05702.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 39
I like the looks too, but just couldn't ever bring myself to install them for the reasons you mentioned!

Probably be great for fishin at night:devil:

I'd only consider it if I had a newer/bigger boat. My boats not new enough or flashy enough for this stuff.

have done quite a few and they seem to be the fad this year. Like anything, if done properly then there is no reason for fear.

You guys crack me up. Its no different than adding some billet cleats or a nice steering wheel to your boat. I would be all over it if I had a slip to keep my boat in. :thumb:

Maybe if i had a bigger ride and a swim platform, but i dont think they would look right on a 18.5 footer in murky water.

Matt, I think you just inspired me,How about placing one in a skid plate under the 10in off set and 5.5 inch jp.Or just box it in,Very intresting! To bad I just hauled it away for the next 6 months But I will look in to it thru the winter. THANKS I THINK.:bigthumb:

I always thought they were more $ than that. My problem is that we don't go out a night much. I'd mount them under both of my little swim platforms - would be really cool. I'll just keep saving for that jackplate...and the 4 blade ski prop!

SCT - I vote you get em!

I want to mount a set of LED's under my swim platform shining down. It would look cool lighting up the spray from the exhaust.

I say go for it SCT!

Just one more option that will come with my new Convincor when I buy it from you!!!!

HD:cheers:

I have seen a few on the lake, I have noticed them most on the 4th of July watching fire works a few guys had them this year. They look very cool. I don't boat much at night the 4th is about it. So I wouldn't consider them for me. But if I did boat at night I would like to have them. I must say the few boats that had them stood out and some that didn't at certain angles their nav lights had blind spots. There was about 300 boats after the show heading back to dock at the same time. Some fools were going too fast and you couldn't see them. So those lights would have been nice on that occasion.

MKHammer

Mkhammer, they are very cool but I agree w/ you.....we never go out during the nighttime. Plus, I've been reading on another board about wether they are legal to run at night time anyways........

I might be better off putting my money on another project for the boat.

I had them on a pontoon boat, they were kool and a great conversation piece -- Hey they attract the fishes too.

Those look cool, but I'm trying to eliminate holes in my transom not add more.:D

Aww comon, just think, you install them with this work your doin, keep the boat for 10+yrs and trade up to a newer one. Merc will be makin a 525XS:eyecrazy: by then so you'll have to have one or a pair.
The new owner gets a couple of great yrs outa your old boat, joins the Board and finds a small amount of water seaping out the screw hole where he thinks the past owner had some lites installed once. After checking it out he finds a few more things that concern him and before he knows it he's restoring a classic.:D

Your new old Mate was great/perfect when you went over it with a fine tooth comb 4 yrs ago but... you find....

You see, you have to install the lights, so you can help others grow to love the fun your hav'n this Summer/Fall. :bigthumb::popcorn:I'll watch

Last edited:
BRO!! THAT'S KEWL!!! I wish I had a budget for some! What about using an epoxy bonding to "glue" them on the transom? Maybe even the front part of the bow below the water line at rest and WAAAAY up high on the run! LOVE EM!

I agree, I don't see why you can't epoxy or urethane them to the hull, and run the wires up the transom with the speedo tube.
They do look awsome at night, and a great way to stand out from the crowd!!:thumb:

Back