• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Trim Tab MIA

john lamon

For some reason my trim tab/anode if that's what you call it is cut off, it probably isn't in the water much when I'm aired out but don't these serve some purpose while just sitting in the water also? Is this something to be concerned about? I've always had one on all my other O/Bs

Thanks

Attachments

• 09 pics 072.jpg
    09 pics 072.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 09 pics 074.jpg
    09 pics 074.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 17
It looks like you have something there, so you should be ok. Besides countering torque steer (which like you said it probably couldn't do anyway) it is just supposed to sacrificially corrode before anything else so that your motor doesn't.
The only time you should really be worried about having a tab to prevent corrosion is if you leave the boat in the water for long periods of time.

Yep, looks like you'll be fine. You could always replace it with an OEM flat tab for about $12-$15 if that would make you feel more at ease.

Is that a Merc or OMC outboard?

I've got OMC's and that doesn't look like any of mine. My inclination would be to replace it, I priced 'em once and like TopE says they're cheap.

BTW, how's your Eluder handle with that engine? I'm gettin' antsy to get mine finished and am wonderin' what I've got to look forward to with a 200 on it.

Is that a Merc or OMC outboard?

I've got OMC's and that doesn't look like any of mine. My inclination would be to replace it, I priced 'em once and like TopE says they're cheap.

BTW, how's your Eluder handle with that engine? I'm gettin' antsy to get mine finished and am wonderin' what I've got to look forward to with a 200 on it.

It's a mariner 220, the Eluder handles it great, chine walks past 60 with the jack down but with it raised up had her to 71 on gps with no chine walk, also can't believe how it corners, with the engine and jack down you can crank the wheel at 45 or 50 and it does a complete 180 degree turn like it's on rails.:thumb: I wish I had more power with a boatload of people though, did you find a prop yet?

It's a mariner 220, the Eluder handles it great, chine walks past 60 with the jack down but with it raised up had her to 71 on gps with no chine walk, also can't believe how it corners, with the engine and jack down you can crank the wheel at 45 or 50 and it does a complete 180 degree turn like it's on rails.:thumb: I wish I had more power with a boatload of people though, did you find a prop yet?

Yes, bought a 4 blade Renegade 25 pitch on ebay and it arrived yesterday. Looks like it's in perfect condition... all the pieces are falling into place.

You are supposed to replace the anode every season according to the manual(although NOBODY does). If your running in salt, then I say for sure replace it every couple of years. The chemists say they don't work once they get a coating on them(like white powder or brown scum), and you can't clean them. But, I can't see why you can't sand down the coating and get back to fresh metal to help in the anti-corrosion effect of the metal. Most people they I see NEVER change them!
On your boat, it looks like the prop might hit the tab and that's why it was cut off. If you don't have steering torque issues then I say just leave what you have on there and sand it down to fresh metal.

You are supposed to replace the anode every season according to the manual(although NOBODY does). If your running in salt, then I say for sure replace it every couple of years. The chemists say they don't work once they get a coating on them(like white powder or brown scum), and you can't clean them. But, I can't see why you can't sand down the coating and get back to fresh metal to help in the anti-corrosion effect of the metal. Most people they I see NEVER change them!
On your boat, it looks like the prop might hit the tab and that's why it was cut off. If you don't have steering torque issues then I say just leave what you have on there and sand it down to fresh metal.

mine has no sight of corrosion on it, I've seen alot of boats on my lake with the white powder coating you discribed. good point about thhe prop maybe hitting, not going to worry about it for now.

Back