• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

ZT 230BR questions

Wowchad

I have been looking at ZT 230BR's and see the newer ones have a crawl-thru vs the older walk-thru style. When did that change and did only the topside mold change or are there other differences? Is there any way to look at the archive of older specs?

We currently have a 208 Baja Islander and now that they don't make a small family run-abouts we're exploring our options. Right now Checkmate and Nordic are at the top of our short list of boats to drive. I have thought of a used Baja 232 Islander but they don't have as much room (floor space) as our smaller Islander and Baja had bad rotting issues if you didn't keep them very dry so a used one would be a big gamble.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Chad

seems to me the 230s have a walk thru. i remember the pulsare 2400br having a crawl thru but that has changed too.
the 230s have been of interest to me also, seems a very nice ride and performance.

I think on checkmates web site there is a mis leading picture of the old style 2400br mixed into the zt230br section , i traded my 08 zt230 br in at duckys boats in middleton pa , there are nice pics on their web site of a zt 230 . it does have a walk threw area. It was a very nice boat i just wanted a better ride in rough water so i went to a zt 240. one change i think the newer models after 08 have is a swing away middle section , where as the 08 was removeable. good luck with your search

I re checked the web site and it appears to me in the picture on the lower right (in the zt230br) section you can see the outboard engine cover, so it clearly a mis print. there are a few left over zt230br floating around if you want more pics . i know diamondmarine.net had an 08 for sale recently.

Attachments

• 90538152_8thumb_140x105.jpg
    90538152_8thumb_140x105.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 90538152_4thumb_140x105.jpg
    90538152_4thumb_140x105.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 90538152_2thumb_550x410.jpg
    90538152_2thumb_550x410.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the responses. It does appear there's a mis-print or error in their pictures on the web site.
By the looks of this picture it's a mid-cabin type boat:
http://www.checkmatepowerboats.net/images/zt-pics/230BR/zt-230-br-cockpit-Lg.jpg

There sure are a bunch of nice ones for sale and the new ones are almost the same price as the used ones, kind of makes it a no-brainer.
It is hard to find them with the big blocks though...although you can wring a lot of HP from a 350 mag!
Now I just have to find one close enough to me to go get a hands on look and see what we think. I'm looking for a smaller lake boat without a very deep-vee. I think our Islander is only a 16 or 18 deg dead-rise so this boat and the Nordic Rage are both comparable.

The Zt230 would make a great lake boat, its really only about 21 ft of hull in the water and the 350 mag and alpha combo is good upto about 62 mph with a light load, great fuel burn rate about 7 gph 3/4 throttle. its nice power for family fun , what i really miss about it was the amount of room its a wide beam and when your anchored out just relaxing the swivel seats are great, everything stows nice and easy plenty of storage. and the quality of the boat was very nice also, the one for sale at diamond marine on a trailer for 36k is a great price IMO. good luck with your search.

Yeah with our 4 kids and the Baja's 8' 6" beam makes for a pretty comfortable day on the water. That's another thing that appeals to us with the 230BR.
I did see the brand new 2008 for $36k obo but the Alpha drive and I-beam trailer killed that one for us.
I must have a Bravo drive due to the upgrades I'd be doing to the 350mag. (I think head work and exhaust alone will net an extra 100hp.)
I had a 20' Baja Outlaw with a BBC 454 and an Alpha drive combo and cannot believe that drive lasted as long as it did. Had a Land & Sea stern jack on it too...man I miss that boat, what a little ROCKET!
Well for right now I want to find one close to us and sit in it before I get my hopes up too high. I'll keep you all posted if we end up in a Checkmate. Chad

Wrong Picture....

You guys are correct......that one picture is of a Pulsare 2400 BR. Sorry bout that.....getting it changed. Thanks for letting this us and chad know.......hope we didn't confuse you to much wowchad.

My 230 BR with 350 mag and Bravo drive had a best ever top gps speed of 58, with a three-blade Mirage Plus. Maybe the alpha drive makes a bit of difference, but I doubt 4 mph. That would be like losing an extra 50 hp through the Bravo drive vs. the alpha. Maybe, who knows. Chad if you can get 100 hp out of a stock 350 mag, with just head and exhaust work, man, I shouldv'e called you before i swapped out for a 496HO! Good luck - you'll love the 230BR if you go that route -I'd definitely go for the big block though.

.......hope we didn't confuse you to much wowchad.

No worries Kip and I did get your email plus both dealers contacted me already. Not sure if I'll make the trip or not...if I do drive 6 hours to see one I'd sure like to water test it right away so instead of spinning my wheels and wasting anyone's time I'm going to wait for now unless one comes up for sale closer, then I'd go look at least.
Not a big high performance market in this area, in fact even the local Baja dealer dropped the Baja line several years ago. I would think somewhere in Chicago area they'd have one though, maybe in spring???

Thanks again for all the helpful responses and opinions! Chad

First of all, i'll say i've never had the opprotunity to drive a ZT230, or any new Checkmate for that matter, but i did talk to a dealer at a local boat show that had a ZT230 BR on display. They told me that the 230 with the 6.2L 320hp Mag/Bravo 1 combo was good for 67 MPH on GPS, and the standard 350 300hp/Alpha was still good for around 65 MPH on GPS which i thought was very impressive!! I too would absoulutly spend the extra money for the Bravo drive, just for the piece of mind and if any upgrades were planned. But, the dealer also told me that the ZT230 had handling issues with the 496 Mag and Mag HO motors, said they were to much for the hull and that even Powerboat Magazine wrote it up that way. I didn't see the PB issue with the ZT230 in it so i don't know, just relaying what i was told. I love the ZT line of boats, i would kill to get my hands on a new 230, but there still a bit outta my price range lol. Good luck man, hope ya end up with with a new 'Mate!!

my boat ran 62 on gps 23 pitch 5200rpm another dealer with the same set up (small block ford)?. was getting about the same, if your interested do a search for zt230 and im sure you will find the thread , it was about a year and a half ago , thanks jeff

As far as handling goes, you might want to contact Craig. He did have one up for sale with the 496ho here: http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11734
If he's running high 70s with it, I'd say its a great package with the BBC. :devil: (Its not a BR though)

Also, you might want to get ahold of Roberts Marine, I think he sold that boat originally and he is kinda in your area: http://www.sterndrivesrus.com/ (Bob is a good guy, too)

Good luck with your search. You can't go wrong with a Checkmate, imo.

:offtopic:Thats a cool cover plate for your gimbal repair... I used Ron Bender's method on my 96 Superboat as well.:cheers:

Last edited:
I'd eat my shirt if someone could show me 65 gps with a 350 and bravo drive. I tried every prop imaginable to try to get more than 58 gps out of my 230BR. I was some disappointed, when I'd been told it would run 65 to 70 mph. that's why I'm always quick to post when I see these numbers. I suppose it's possible that Checkmate raised the X-dimension after I bought mine, creating less drag. I do know that a closed deck 6.2 saw a best ever gps of 62 mph. That boat is actually for sale right now on boatrader. Yellow and black, from Gree Bay area.
I have virtually no handling issues with my 496HO. Running a 30 pitch four blade bravo, with a 1.65 drive, I see 72-73 gps, anyday. With a labbed Mirage Plus I saw 78 gps, best ever. There was some walk at times, especially in dead calm water, but with chop it was no problem. I do know that Wildman in Florida ran one with a 496 and it walked so much he was scared to drive it. Doesn't make sense, but maybe it was the prop.

I do know that Wildman in Florida ran one with a 496 and it walked so much he was scared to drive it.

I dont belive this because of the max speed of the boat with a 496. Wildman wimping out under 80 in a big boat.

My best friend has a ZT230 6.2 Bravo drive spinning a Bravo 4 blade. Set up as is it's a 59-60 MPH boat as we ran it on a GPS. No prop would get it to 67 GPS so that Dealer if off.

It's also for sale as he's moving and will not have anywhere to store it indoors.I did many of the upgrades (cleaned up the wiring, added a different steering wheel, cup holders, etc. VERY well maintained if your interested P.M. me for his number
n1639428943_57877_1520.jpg

ST where is it? I'd at least like to see one in person.

Oh and BTW JY, not that this justifies that big of a speed difference but different boats pulled from the exact same plug can have 5-10% speed variation. I've read about it over and over through the years. I don't know if its a weight issue from heavy layup or straightness of the bottoms or what but I do know that its pretty common.

My 21' weighs about 400# more than these 230's, is slightly wider with about the same HP (but with a BBC) and runs a little faster which is strange seeing as the Mate has a stepped bottom AND a noched transom. One biggie is my little Baja placard says 8 passengers (with a small block it's 10!) and the mate is only listed as 6 passenger and that's with the lighter small block in them??? Go figure...

JY- I don't believe Wman has ever bought a car engined Checkmate. He's an eggbeater guy!

ST where is it? I'd at least like to see one in person.

Oh and BTW JY, not that this justifies that big of a speed difference but different boats pulled from the exact same plug can have 5-10% speed variation. I've read about it over and over through the years. I don't know if its a weight issue from heavy layup or straightness of the bottoms or what but I do know that its pretty common.

My 21' weighs about 400# more than these 230's, is slightly wider with about the same HP (but with a BBC) and runs a little faster which is strange seeing as the Mate has a stepped bottom AND a noched transom. One biggie is my little Baja placard says 8 passengers (with a small block it's 10!) and the mate is only listed as 6 passenger and that's with the lighter small block in them??? Go figure...

Over by Waterloo Iowa (ElkRun Heights to be exact)
I have lot's of pics of it if you want give me your e-mail and I'll send them over. One thing about them for sure is they want to ride on the pad. Not a good choice for just easing along. No shakes or rattles though. Fun Boat to drive.

Back