• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Primer!!

caddman

:cool: So after a great day on the water, I decided I need to post this question! I need a good filler primer, I plan to shoot with a urathane automotive paint, but the boat is full of spider cracks in the gelcoat on the sides. you cant feel them but can see them, all i can feel is the roughness of an abused gelcoat worn to the flake, ovbvious some sanding is in order but im trying to make this as painless as possible... any good filler primer to help take some of this texture out, to get me back towards a slick finish?

I would advise grinding, glassing with mesh cloth and bondoing all cracks. I did that to mine and so far it still is crack free. The playmate was primmered by the PO and every crack came back.

As for primmer, I used omni 2K primer on mine. its made by PPG and is good stuff for the money

yeah the cracks are not stress cracks just the sun doing its thing to the gel coat the sides are still smooth to the touch but visibly see them, the deck is rough but no visible cracks, well no visible gel coat either lol, just the flakes....

Yep thats all most of mine were as well. I know the cracks on the playmate are also only gel deep and not stress cracks but you can still see them. It was fine and could not be seen till after it sat out in the hot sun for a few days. At that point the gel under it did its thing transfering it all to the top coat. When you rub your hand over it, you can not feel it but you can still see it.

I could feel my flake on the enchanter so I burried it in primer. I used almost the entire gallon of primer. Let it sit for a week and block sanded till I was blue in the face

Not the news I was looking for!! But thanks for the heads up!!! So is the omni 2K primer a filler primer or justa regular primer?

It will fill very nice but if you want a real "filler primer" then get PPG K38. Just sit down before you get the total $$ on it!!!! I use the omni on my stuff and have had very good luck out of it. Duponts version is "nason". Both nason and omni is nice bang for the $$$ products. Sorry if I am rambling on, sometimes I confuse even myself!!!

Not a lot of people want to spend the money on this paint but I think it works great and have had great results with it, no primers of any kind. I'm talking about Dupont Imron. From what I hear you saying, your gel coat is not that bad, no worse that 100 grit sand scratches?

If so the method I've used has worked well for me. I sand the boat using 100 grit paper. Then go right over the gel coat with Imron. Imron is an extremely flexable paint and works very well over fiber glass that is constantly flexing as on a boat.

Do not use 80 grit paper it's way to coarse. 100 grit DA paper cuts gel coat the same as 220 or 320 grit paper cuts a standard automotive finish. Imron also has a lot of build and will not shrink up so as to show up fine crazing in the gel coat. I have even hidden some pretty deep stress cracks, and they don't come back in time.

Do a search on this sight for Imron, it's hit this sight a few other times. Take a look at my paint job. I painted it 3 years ago and it still looks like it did 3 years ago. Good luck with your paint job. Post some pics so we can see what kind of shape the surface is in. :bigthumb:

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14018

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16233&highlight=Imron+paint

Jetmate after seeing Trey's boat in person the gel coat is shot. He's repaired some deep gouges underneath already, got a few on the sides from dock rash. The boat is in good shape for the year, with a little work it's going to be a nice ride. Trey's got some great ideas for the resto, it's gonna be sweet. Here's some pictures:

Attachments

• DSCN0658.jpg
    DSCN0658.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN0659.jpg
    DSCN0659.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN0660.jpg
    DSCN0660.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 16
Thanks Rob! I will go out this afternoon and see if i can get some better pics of the questioned areas, which is everywhere, except the hull which as Rob has stated has its own other issues, which I have fixed most of them with West System Epox.

Rob, what was the two places you mentioned that had the old motors around....Im wanting to find that bubble back adaptor.....I found me some carbs real cheep, need rebuilding but I would do that anyways befor I put them on.....

Thanks Rob! I will go out this afternoon and see if i can get some better pics of the questioned areas, which is everywhere, except the hull which as Rob has stated has its own other issues, which I have fixed most of them with West System Epox.

Rob, what was the two places you mentioned that had the old motors around....Im wanting to find that bubble back adaptor.....I found me some carbs real cheep, need rebuilding but I would do that anyways befor I put them on.....

The two places are Palmetto Marine and Sheppards Prop and Marine service. I would call Palmetto Marine 843 873-7053 (Jim) first since he's got more Evinrude/Johnson parts laying around.

What was your experience with automotive paint? I am planning to use Interlux but was going to strip with some autopaint, just because the limited colors/options of interlux....

Trey,

I don't think you have to worry too much about wear and tear if you use the automotive paint above the waterline. The UV doesn't kill off you car finish unless you don't wash and wax it for 5 or so years.

Jim

I have had great luck using Imron. It is very durable. Some high end boat manufacturers use it on there boats right from the factory. Do a search on this sight on Imron and read what members have to say about it. My paint job is 3 years old, still looks like the day I painted it, and have done nothing to it but wash it.

yeah imron is good stuff, but unfortunatly to pricey and above my level of painting myself, maybe next go round or next boat, I used imron on my big boat when i had money ended up being a 20k paintjob, ten years old still looks great!! boat doesnt even get washed (too big, 57' trawler) stays in saltwater as its parked in the creek behind my dads house....

Trey,

I used U-Tech 3500 paint on my hull. I also used their epoxy primer. It is the equivelent to Imron at 60% the cost. It applies the same and just as tough and durable. I have known the guy that sold me this paint for 25 years. He sold DuPont for over 15 of those years and he convinced me to use the U-Tech. Nice shine without waxing it.

Here in Cape May County, NJ many of the marine contractors apply this to their equipment because it holds up well to the salt water atmosphere.

Jim

I've shot a fair amount of dupont nason paint - decent paint for the money and probably equivelent to ppg's omni line...

The last few things i've painted I've done with ppg b/c dbc base coat and dcu2021 clear - amazing stuff. I shot my diplomat in 2021 and it is not only the shiniest flake boat I've ever seen but is holding up very well to scratches, etc... I've also used it to do some repair work on my corvette (2000, dark blue metallic) and it matches almosyt perfectly.

it's also what a very well known local shop uses for custom work on Fountains and some other boats...

Nason fulthane single stage over their etch primer is the best engine paint I've ever used...

Back