• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Getting close to going "postal" on my upholstery shop!

JCS

It will be 5 weeks this Thursday since these folks removed my old interior. Since then they had to move from their home/workshop , and everyday I get another f__king excuse why were not done. In an effort to avert them from disappearing and speed up their move I dispatched a moving truck and crew several weeks ago to move them (I own several moving companies). At this point I prepaid half the cost up front, moved them, paid the company that embroidered the logo's and have not lost my Italian temper.

If there not at my warehouse tomorrow installing my interior Im going gangster!:brickwall:

im in the same boat as you so to speak i dropped mine off right before new years my guy only ordered the material so far hasnt even started the upholstery yet but we had a deal that i would have it back by spring so im not worried yet and yes i also had to put half down on deposit which drives me nuts, as a buisness man i would be embarassed to ask for anything upfront
i think upholstery guys are a different breed in general

I'm glad I went through checkmate for mine. I have seen very few interiors that the quality is as good as the factory. I am amazed how they did a interior in a boat that was built in 1985 and made it better than originally made.

Good luck with your deal. At least if you go all postal, living in FL you can feed them to the gators and have Chris delete this thread!! No trail that way :D

I hate to say it but so many marine business interactions are like "let's make a dope deal". Part of the problem is that they're messin' with our toys! And they're not playing by the rules.
Most of the time for me they've worked out OK but just not on schedule.
Stay on top of it but don't let it steal your sanity.
And you can keep whining here. That's what we're here for.

I'm glad I'm friends with the upholstery guy. I went over to his house where he has a small shop on a Friday morning, by Friday afternoon I had half my interior done. For the price of some beer. Just have to finish building the rear seat and I'll have to buy him some more beer.

I'm glad I went through checkmate for mine. I have seen very few interiors that the quality is as good as the factory. I am amazed how they did a interior in a boat that was built in 1985 and made it better than originally made.

Don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I'm glad to hear you say that, Brian. I'm thinking of springing for a little extra and getting the new seats they're putting in the factory boats rather than the wrap around high back.

My uncle ran an upholstery shop for a long time...he only asked for a deposit. Just enough to make sure they came back for the piece.

Good luck on the interior...being at other people's mercy is frustrating.

Must be a upholstery shop thing as I hear this all the time with boats & campers. Friend had his camper canvas replaced but the guy took almost a year to finish it. His excuse was that he just lost track of time :rof:

He did cal me at 0730 to provide the latest round of excuses. By the end of the day he called and said he was done and ready to install Wed., 1 day shy of 5 weeks. I'm holding my breath!

Wanted to redo my upholstery in my Convincor and get it more up to date. Shopped around heavy and before it was all said an done Checkmate was the best deal. Decided to wait and let a recommended local boat shop do my hatch. I told them if they do a jam up job they could do all the upholstery.

Lets just say the hatch is the only thing they did. If you want the best price with no croocked lines and no wrinkles use Checkmate. Yes their are custom shops that can do a top of the line job but you will pay twice the money.

I must say, It was a real pleasure talking to u the other day. And about our boats. I just hope it will be done like he said. You put so much time and money into your boat. And I'm hoping the interior is to your liking. And it's about time huh..I was nerves myself waiting for my interior last year and thank God I did not have to wait that LONG .. Can't wait to see the pics on it.. Stay in touch Chet..

Thanks for the call Don :cheers:

Thanks Don, glad to have spent some time talking to another mate and a Senator owner at that.

On a good note, the upholster did start the install today. The rear engine cover is on and the side panels. The rear bench was rebuilt from starboard and they didn't like the way it was fitting so there needs to be a few modifications. In an effort to make it easier I agreed to take the boat to his shop tomorrow morning so he has all his tools and materials. He was working on it in my warehouse so he only had what he could bring.

As much as I have pissed and moaned about the time delay I have to admit they have done a very good professional custom job. So far what I have seen has been flawless and of terrific quality not only in the fabric but also the construction.

As a gesture of goodwill they are going to remake the cuddy berth cushion of the same material used on the interior. I will pay for the embroidery work for the Checkmate logo and they will put it together. Also they are adding some turn buckle snaps to my cockpit cover around the windshield. It tends to come unsnapped when being towed as air get under the edges and it starts to come off.

I will shoot some photo's tomorrow and post them on the site to show off the new interior!!:thumb:

Thanks Don, glad to have spent some time talking to another mate and a Senator owner at that.

On a good note, the upholster did start the install today. The rear engine cover is on and the side panels. The rear bench was rebuilt from starboard and they didn't like the way it was fitting so there needs to be a few modifications. In an effort to make it easier I agreed to take the boat to his shop tomorrow morning so he has all his tools and materials. He was working on it in my warehouse so he only had what he could bring.

As much as I have pissed and moaned about the time delay I have to admit they have done a very good professional custom job. So far what I have seen has been flawless and of terrific quality not only in the fabric but also the construction.

As a gesture of goodwill they are going to remake the cuddy berth cushion of the same material used on the interior. I will pay for the embroidery work for the Checkmate logo and they will put it together. Also they are adding some turn buckle snaps to my cockpit cover around the windshield. It tends to come unsnapped when being towed as air get under the edges and it starts to come off.

I will shoot some photo's tomorrow and post them on the site to show off the new interior!!:thumb:
Glad to hear it's going well despite the delay. Keep us posted!

I like it, works well when your getting air and need to back off throttle without risk of going into reverse. I think it's easier to dock the boat as well.

I'm getting the vberth cushion redone to match the pattern on the seats with the Checkmate Logo embroidered on it. Of course it may take them until Aug but someday.

Back