• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Finally bought a Starliner.

Mine is about ready for a water trial, might just have to drag it down there. Its only 30 minutes or so from me.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!:thumb:

Deal.

I have a full shop at the house 15 mins away if u need anything.
We have a cruiser on Erie though so through wk only.
I work for myself though so I make my own schedule.

About 55 ��

Corey, for sure dude. I want to see your project too.
Love the guys willing to try something different.

Thx to everyone. As we often see, a long ass project.

Gary, once you get past any "1st time out gremlins" and start throttling up, the Starliner hull really begins to shine around 70+ mph. You'll fell the boat ride up on the V-pad and loosen up..not as much as a Pulsare but you will feel it. At 80mph, it's a driver's boat...you have to work at balancing the boat and keeping it there!

Gary, once you get past any "1st time out gremlins" and start throttling up, the Starliner hull really begins to shine around 70+ mph. You'll fell the boat ride up on the V-pad and loosen up..not as much as a Pulsare but you will feel it. At 80mph, it's a driver's boat...you have to work at balancing the boat and keeping it there!

You mean like this?
http://vid290.photobucket.com/albums/ll255/Instigatorspixs/streamat101.mp4

I've driven a couple of fast vee bottoms.
Last Starliner I drove was a demo while I was selling them in '89.
Had an XP 300 w/power steering on a 6" Jack plate, jacked to the moon w/a 30" Chopper on it.
Have owned a bunch of good running vee bottom o/bs.

Attachments

• vector at alva (2).JPG
    vector at alva (2).JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I think my carb'd 3.3 is a 300 hp motor.
Stock exhaust, oil injected, idles in gear at 650, shifts in gear, starts instantly and doesn't smoke.

Don't have the time on it yet, but assuming that goes well...,may be THE best bang for the buck, hot rod OMC platform ever.
I think I have $3K in it counting new ignition and VRO. If you had good used you could save a grand.

Waiting on some trinkets to make changes before heading back out.

The motor needs carb jets that I don't have and w/needing 6 for the idle circuits and 6 for the mid's, and me being me.........., I don't want to pay the $8 - $10 per.
So I found brass screws at McMaster Carr and I'll drill my own if I can figure out how to make a .021" drill bit drill brass ;)
So far I have $52. in 60 screws/jets.

Interesting too that my pyrometer shows the port cylinder bank is burning 200* colder (till next time out) than the starboard due to crank shaft rotation.
This is why the new E-Tec's (Sam I Am) are called "starboard starboard" motors so both banks charge the same.
To my knowledge, never been done before.
They claim 20% in power and 15% in economy.
Too bad their variable exhaust port didn't make it through marketing.
My spy in Miami says their badd ass.

The motor needs carb jets that I don't have and w/needing 6 for the idle circuits and 6 for the mid's, and me being me.........., I don't want to pay the $8 - $10 per.
So I found brass screws at McMaster Carr and I'll drill my own if I can figure out how to make a .021" drill bit drill brass
So far I have $52. in 60 screws/jets.

That sounds exactly like me. I came across a cooling system for my LS motor that I could have bolted on in 30 minutes and been done, but it was over $2000!!! I thought "screw it, I know I can build something for a lot less".

Some people might call us cheap, but I prefer to think of us as innovative!!! Can't wait to see how this thing runs when its all dialed in!!!

Some people might call us cheap, but I prefer to think of us as innovative!!! Can't wait to see how this thing runs when its all dialed in!!!

I like that term.

I have an Einstein quote on my tool box that says, "imagination is more important than knowledge".
Love that.

Still waiting on carburetor jets and drill bits.

Argh..,..

My 26" Raker is due back from Leading Edge any day too. The guy is good but damn he's slow.

Looking forward to finishing up break in and tuning and seeing what the old girl has.

2 steps forward, one step bassakwards!

Forward steps:

I fab'd and installed the drag plate for the bottom of 1 of my 12 jack plates I have screwed together. At lower speeds it was scooping water BAAADDDDD!

My 26" Raker finally arrived from Leading Edge and was bad ass. Or so I'm told.

I successfully drilled three of the brass plugs I'm using for jets.

Bassakward steps:

Our house was broken into and besides all our TV's, my wifes '2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, the low lifes also stole the package off our front porch containing............, wait for it............, the Raker!
(and material for customer boats I was working on)

Of the package of cute lil drill bits I bought to drill my jets........, I broke 4 drilling the 3 jets I got done.
After conferring w/my genius tool maker friend I bought special, split taper bits to drill the remaining jets.
I then proceeded to break 3 of them!

So I'm a $100. into saving $300. on jets and have 3 jets to show for them.
That "net's" to $33. per jet.
Hummmhhhhh?
A bit harder to drill holes the diameter of a human hair, through solid brass than what I anticipated.

Apparently I aint as smart as I tell my friends I am:poke:

I spent an additional $250. to get the final jets I was missing and are due next wk.

I love it when projects go according to plan :brickwall:

Dang, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had a couple of motorcycles stolen but to have a POS break into my house would be hard to deal with. Sorry bro.:pissed:

Man, I hate to hear that. When we lived on Clarksville Road when I was a kid we had our house broken into. They stole all kinds of stuff, TV's, all of our guns and they even killed my dog. This was many many years ago, but I still remember it.

I also know how you feel on the drill bits. I stopped adding up all the money I spent on stuff "I thought should work" on my LS project. But even if you don't save as much as you thought, it's still cool to be able to say "I built that".

Dang, I'm so sorry to hear this. I've had a couple of motorcycles stolen but to have a POS break into my house would be hard to deal with. Sorry bro.:pissed:

Thanks Dude

The Jeep is the worst part.
My wife went through hell to dig herself out of a financial pit she was in when I met her. I came up w/a plan, she accepted it and fought like hell instead of throwing her hands up and walking away like our media tells us to do.

As her reward for making it through it, I bought her that Jeep. Was her dream car.
So they stole much more than a Jeep and its really eating at her.

We have Nationwide Ins and they have been great so far but are still a week away (assuming they don't find it) from an offer.
We bought that one new in '14 due to used prices being so high due to their popularity.
Assuming we get close to used retail, we'll lose our down payment and all the interest we've already paid ($10K) and Cheryl will end up w/a 2 yr old Jeep that used to belong to someone else.

Last edited:
Man, I hate to hear that. When we lived on Clarksville Road when I was a kid we had our house broken into. They stole all kinds of stuff, TV's, all of our guns and they even killed my dog. This was many many years ago, but I still remember it.

I also know how you feel on the drill bits. I stopped adding up all the money I spent on stuff "I thought should work" on my LS project. But even if you don't save as much as you thought, it's still cool to be able to say "I built that".

Forgot you were the one that lived down the street.

Detective was just here last night and said theres been another break in on our street.
I am stunned at that happening here. We're in the country, nice area, most are VERY nice homes on 3 acres or more.
Told the detective I had a false sense of security due to this environment and assumed all the crooks knew we are armed, good shots and not afraid to shoot.
They knew we were away though.

I kept a load 12 gauge pump under the bed and they stole it too.

Wilmington is our closest town (10 mls) and it is full of food pantries and rescue missions and I have no clue where all the people come from but have to believe that is part of the problem.
And in the middle of a heroin epidemic.

Two of our neighbors had similar situations, zero recovered and nothing good to say about the local sheriffs.
Detective said last night they're up to 5 stolen work trailers this wk!

As to the stuff not working on the projects...., that's how we learn. I've tried EVERY go fast part/trick on my O/B's through the yrs and most was a waste of time/money.

Sorry to hear about the burglary. I know what ya mean about stealing more than the material items.

Rant:
I absolutely hate thieves!!!! A few public executions might curtail this behavior.

Not to hype any company, but I've had ADT for probably 5 years. Yeah, it's another monthly bill, but my local cops do respond to un-silenced alarms.

Update:

My 3.3 project project has been trying desperately to kick my ass but I'm way too stupid to let it win. Many issues for another thread, other than to say it has been apart/together many times.
Is together now and waiting on me. It is close.

As some may know, that's not the motor intended for that boat.
Bought it for one motor only.
An antique OMC V-8.

Traded a case of beer for one yesterday.
Will be a long term project as I have much to do.
It will get a shortened mid, side ram hydraulic steering and a 3.0 liter Merc Sportmaster w/1.62 gears.
Will make an easy 400 HP's on pump gas and should be the baddest Starliner on the planet.

:poke: Hey, didn't you tell me the black parts are only good for fertilizer??? And what are you going to call this abortion merude, a johnery, I like that one??? Seriously, will you have your boat running in time for the Rally at Cumberland??? Mark

Back