• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1984 Exciter i/o 350

tburn

So I haven't used my boat in over a month. Went to take it for a spin and it started right up and stalled because I didn't catch it to keep it running, anyway so when that happens it floods pretty easy so I cranked it wide open usually starts right up once it dries out the throat but this time the batteries dragged right down and almost seemed like it was hydro locked. Brought it up to the garage charged the batteries and there is some kind of intermittent draw that pulls the volt meter right down to 10 volts without even cranking and then pops right back up eventually to 12.6. So I can make it do it by leaving the key on and shutting the battery switch on and off. So when it is in 10 volt mode I cut the purple wire coming from the Thunderbolt amplifier to the coil and the volts went right back up to 12.6. would this mean the amplifier is bad? I also had the sensor in the distributor unhooked in case that was acting up. Also when the voltage drop happens and stays that way for a few minutes while testing things the coil and amplifier both get warm. I have had it running since then and runs fine but when the voltage drops the engine stalls like shutting the key off. Thanks for any help

Exciter voltage problem

Also wanted to add, the alternator seems to be putting out fine while it’s running, keyswitch is new, I don’t see any wiring problems. Just this weird intermittent voltage drop.

I would check the ALT voltage at the stud on back of ALT which should be close to 13.6V. then at battery... they should be about the same.

Back