• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2009 Pulsar 2000 BR out of moth balls

1baddeer

A little help please, I am a new poster but longtime Checkmate fan and owner.
Pulled my Pulsar 2000 out the barn where it has set for over 2 years under cover. Beside a few old hornet nest it was still like new, put the battery on a 2 hour trickle charge and put the ear muffs on, turned the water on and touched the key and the Evinrude 150 etec was idling. This is when the problems started no water out the discharge hole or any warm water out of the prop, I have the elite series gauges and the multi task tach was doa, so no readings to go by. Now the temp warning must have kicked in the engine shut down.
Can the Water Punp be doa from sitting for so long, I am only guessing now as the tac and multi function part is dead but I had only 29 hours on the boat whenit went inbto storage. Decided not to take it out until I could resolve the issue with water pump flow and gauge. I have had no luck in locating a replacement elite sreies digital gauge. :mad: Any help here would be appreciated

Sounds like a tune up is order...good thing is the motor still runs. I'd say water pump is a fair guess. Might be worth a trip to the dealer to see what else they can turn up.

Had a similar problem with an older Evinrude (most outboards have the same general water pump design).

The pump impeller is a "star" shaped rubber wheel which expands and contracts in on an off-centre axis. What happens that when it sits for a long period, the compressed portions of the "star" become fatigued and they stay compressed ..... and then the pump doesn't work.

Easy [cheap] fix if you know how to take the lower unit off to get at the pump housing ... just the cost of the impeller and maybe pump housing cover gasket.

Cheers
eboch

Thanks I did order a new water pump kit, replaced it. The old impeller was fine I would say the blades did have a set but was still flexible. I have not had a chance to restart the engine the tach and all its readings is out so I been working on a set new gauges as the current ones are no longer available. Once the new Livorsi gauges are in place will restart and see what I get.

When you drop the gear case inspect the water pickup tube and make sure it is not blocked. You can attempt to put a water hose over the tube and under pressure see if water will come out you pisser. You can also pull off a thermostat to see if water is making it to the top of the block. All in all it sounds like a bad water pump..

Back