• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2009 Pulsare 2000 BR project

Ryan73

Well, it is time to give “Ole Blue” a little love. Some of you might remember this boat advertised on the forum for sale a while back. It had 20 something hours, pristine gelcoat, and a 150 E-Tec. It appears that during the time it sat in the dry storage, that was struck by a tornado, it had the plug in and filled with water. The bilge was inoperable when I purchased it. That coupled with the characteristics of the pedestal mounted seats, makes for a nice rotted floor. I am still in the removal phase of this project, but the rot seems to be isolated to the the rear half of the boat. Mainly around the seats and the fuel tank. Structural wood at the back of the ski well is also soft. I remain very positive as this is par with the past 40 years of boat ownership for me. I am excited to make ole blue the boat I want her to be. I have kicked around coosa vs wood and settled with wood. If I have to remove the entire floor, it will be coosa. If it is partial, as I suspect, I will stay with wood. I am kicking around EVA type floor cover vs. carpet, or even a combination of both. Haven’t decided yet. Also kicking around Mercury vs. Yamaha on the repower. The E-Tec seems to be a good one, it’s just 100 horses shy of where I want to be. I am very thankful to be part of a community with common interests. Any advice or expertise you are willing to share is welcomed. I’ll keep you posted, and try my best to make you proud!

Well, it is time to give “Ole Blue” a little love. Some of you might remember this boat advertised on the forum for sale a while back. It had 20 something hours, pristine gelcoat, and a 150 E-Tec. It appears that during the time it sat in the dry storage, that was struck by a tornado, it had the plug in and filled with water. The bilge was inoperable when I purchased it. That coupled with the characteristics of the pedestal mounted seats, makes for a nice rotted floor. I am still in the removal phase of this project, but the rot seems to be isolated to the the rear half of the boat. Mainly around the seats and the fuel tank. Structural wood at the back of the ski well is also soft. I remain very positive as this is par with the past 40 years of boat ownership for me. I am excited to make ole blue the boat I want her to be. I have kicked around coosa vs wood and settled with wood. If I have to remove the entire floor, it will be coosa. If it is partial, as I suspect, I will stay with wood. I am kicking around EVA type floor cover vs. carpet, or even a combination of both. Haven’t decided yet. Also kicking around Mercury vs. Yamaha on the repower. The E-Tec seems to be a good one, it’s just 100 horses shy of where I want to be. I am very thankful to be part of a community with common interests. Any advice or expertise you are willing to share is welcomed. I’ll keep you posted, and try my best to make you proud!
I have an Aqua Traction floor in my 2020 2400 Pulsare. It looks good, feels good, but it very high maintenance. Lake water, rain water, bottled water will all cause a stain that looks like a ring and requires upholstery cleaner to remove. I consider that floor to be very high maintenance and i doubt I would do that again.

I have an Aqua Traction floor in my 2020 2400 Pulsare. It looks good, feels good, but it very high maintenance. Lake water, rain water, bottled water will all cause a stain that looks like a ring and requires upholstery cleaner to remove. I consider that floor to be very high maintenance and i doubt I would do that
I have an Aqua Traction floor in my 2020 2400 Pulsare. It looks good, feels good, but it very high maintenance. Lake water, rain water, bottled water will all cause a stain that looks like a ring and requires upholstery cleaner to remove. I consider that floor to be very high maintenance and i doubt I would do that again.
Thanks for the insight Glenn. I have no experience with the foam floor coverings. Only what I read and pictures I see. I like the looks of it , with its clean lines and modern flair. However, the “high maintenance” aspect of it is a definite turn off for me. It seems to be a better fit in boats with liners rather than open hull design ones like my 09. It may be possible to run some on the front and rear seat bases and the sides of the hull while leaving carpet on the high traffic floor. I have yet to see both of the materials used together. That might be because it looks hideous. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? My idea was to use it in the splash well originally. Every time I board the boat with wet feet, I feel like I’m going to slip and crack my skull. I figured if I could incorporate it into the interior, it would look like it belonged there, and wouldn’t stand out like a sore toe. Comments welcomed.

Thanks for the insight Glenn. I have no experience with the foam floor coverings. Only what I read and pictures I see. I like the looks of it , with its clean lines and modern flair. However, the “high maintenance” aspect of it is a definite turn off for me. It seems to be a better fit in boats with liners rather than open hull design ones like my 09. It may be possible to run some on the front and rear seat bases and the sides of the hull while leaving carpet on the high traffic floor. I have yet to see both of the materials used together. That might be because it looks hideous. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? My idea was to use it in the splash well originally. Every time I board the boat with wet feet, I feel like I’m going to slip and crack my skull. I figured if I could incorporate it into the interior, it would look like it belonged there, and wouldn’t stand out like a sore toe. Comments welcomed.
Yup splash well, boarding areas, edges, etc. are slippery. My Shepherd would have a hard time getting a grip on the step and platform when coming in and out of the water or getting in the boat so i went with EVA foam, the cheap stuff, this stuff is 0 to very low maintenance, fish blood, oil, sun tan lotion, wine, street dirt that transfers from your flipflop to the platform, etc. just about washes out with hose and nozzle and if gets a bit stubborn then soap and water with rag or sponge and a bit of scrubbing and done. I’ve had it on for about 3 yrs now and is holding up well with no fading.

IMG_5089.jpegIMG_1674.jpeg

It looks good but don't get it wet. Perhaps it was the color I picked but it sounds like mine requires a lot more maintenance than Hayabusa's

Attachments

• IMG_20191011_142828.jpg
    IMG_20191011_142828.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 20
Yup splash well, boarding areas, edges, etc. are slippery. My Shepherd would have a hard time getting a grip on the step and platform when coming in and out of the water or getting in the boat so i went with EVA foam, the cheap stuff, this stuff is 0 to very low maintenance, fish blood, oil, sun tan lotion, wine, street dirt that transfers from your flipflop to the platform, etc. just about washes out with hose and nozzle and if gets a bit stubborn then soap and water with rag or sponge and a bit of scrubbing and done. I’ve had it on for about 3 yrs now and is holding up well with no fading.

View attachment 90791View attachment 90792
Hayabusa, that pup is living the good life! That looks like a good alternative to the bare gelcoat.

Hayabusa, that pup is living the good life! That looks like a good alternative to the bare gelcoat.
Well, finally removed all of the rotten floor, foam, and bad structural wood from Ole Blue. We got her back dry again. The stringers and bulkhead wood was toast. Everything was removed and replaced from the 8 foot mark back. While she was opened up, I recoated the ski locker with a fresh new coat of gel. The new stringers and bulkheads are soaked and infused with resin and installed, as well as the floor. We have been working around the weather, as Jack Frost continues to plague us here in the South. We have some warmer weather ahead and will finish the floor then. I have decided to take the foam and carpet option for floor covering. I intend on butting the foam up to the seat bases from back to front. It will butt against the side storage walls along the sides. The visible area behind the bow rider seats will be carpet, as well as inside the storage area under the seats. I am forgoing the carpet that is normally behind the rear seats in the bilge area. This will be plain gelcoat to cut down on moisture retention. I will re carpet the seat bases. For the re-power, I went Yamaha. I have a new V-max 250 SHO. I am changing out the dual cable steering for Sea Star hydraulic steering. I hope to have the gel work and re-power zipped up in the next two weeks or so. Stereo and lighting after that. Keep y’all posted.

A little update on “Blue”. When we removed the stringers, there was glass between the stringers and knees. Had the bare wood of the stringers been against the bare wood of the knees, the knees would likely have been rotten too. We went back the same way. We beefed up the stringers a little with another layer of resin soaked wood and some more glass. This helped to tie everything back together. For the repower, everything is slowly moving along. The original jack plate was not a good fit for the E-Tec150. It is even worse for the V-Max 250. Why this didn’t click with me before I bolted on the 250 is still a mystery. So, I have a new jackplate coming from Bob’s that will hopefully solve multiple issues. I ordered a manual one with 10” of setback. It capable of 7 1/2” lift. According to what I have read, this is not enough for optimal performance, but should be fine for my needs,(beer drinking, bikinis, water skiing). I think “Wildman’s” recipe was about 16” back on 2100 with 300. Oddly enough, Randy “Wildman” Courson was the first owner of this boat. Checkmate left it with him to sell after a boat show. I have looked through old post from him and “Cooperider” hoping to catch a pic of it back in the day at Randy’s or on the truck in route. No luck so far. Update y’all soon. Happy boating!
0CB92080-1DFD-4741-ABBC-C7D138E43496.jpeg

I have been working on the seat bases. Cleaning all the old glue residue and pulling staples. I have changed the color a little bit. The carpet that I am installing now is a little brighter than the original. With the seat bases being composite, clean up is not too bad. The staples hold extremely well in the composite. I would say as good or better than wood. I laid out all of the old carpet on top of the new carpet as a pattern. I took special care to make sure the grain of the carpet was going the same way for all of the pieces. After all of this, I still managed to glue one of them on backwards. I haven’t talked myself into changing it yet. As every day passes the water gets warmer, patience wears thin. Measurements ADCFD1E8-D86C-4176-8AE1-A78E82CF639B.jpegE55B2FB2-9B73-4F81-BB51-A10288F58899.jpegD2C533D7-F923-4E04-8C3F-51334FB26BBF.jpeghave been taken for the foam flooring and it will be installed this week. I went with a tri-color. I tried to match the upholstery colors as well as I could. I went with titanium on top, blue next, and black on the bottom. Being black is the bottom color, I recoated the floor with black gel. I am doing this to make any lines between foam and bases less noticeable. Upon measuring for the floor cover, I realized nothing is perfectly square with the boat interior. We made the foam mat square, and I will square interior up with it. Otherwise, the pattern in the foam would not kill out against the bases properly. Working on stereo and still waiting on set back bracket right now. Attached some pics below of old carpet laid out on new, my mess up, and the proof for the foam flooring. Hope to have some pics of it put together soon!

Back