• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Boat stalls when shifted from reverse to neutral

The Stone

Hello all, I recently bought my first boat, it is a 1985 checkmate exciter with a 350 and a
n alpha drive. I tested the boat for the first time yesterday, and it did very well. The only problem that i noticed was that the engine stalled only when going from reverse into neutral. Can someone tell me how to go about fixing this issue? Thank you very much,
Christian

Welcome to the site!
Sounds like either a bad shift cable or one that needs adjusting. You can detach the lower shift cable from the Interrupter plate and see how hard it is to pull. Lower shift cable should move smoothly without much effort. Check the upper also.

Here is a Merc Bulletin on adjusting/ inspecting.

www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/89/89_04.pdf

Likely shift-interrupt switch. Very common for that to fail on old alpha setups. Unfortunately Merc redesigned the switch and the old style is NLA. Have to replace entire shift bracket to new style. But $130 bucks is better than banging off of docks.

You need to determine what is bad first. If it is a cable a new updated interrupter switch isn't going to solve the problem.
Test the upper and lower cables first. Check for cracks, kinks, ease of movement. Check each cable separately.

Test the interrupter switch with engine running. Use your finger to quickly bump the switch (note: will always stall if held too long). If it stalls the motor after brief activation, it is bad. Easy peazy.

Back