• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate-Boats.com 6th Year Anniversary!

ok I know I have said this before but to add to this thread I will repeat. I found a checkmate for sale and did not know a thing about it. I seached for the name checkmate on yahoo and this site appeared before the manufacter site. After ready some threads and seeing how big the support was on the site I deceided to buy it. Well 2 years later I drove it once blew it up. But the site saved me by connecting me with Kary who is in the final stages of my over haul. Hope to have many good summers. Thanks Chris!!!:bigthumb:

That is a great story!!!:D

Thanks for the great site, and the friendly help so far. I'm still a Checkmate newb, as I bought my 79 Enchanter project at a yard sale, about eight months ago, and have just recently splashed it. The project is ongoing, but it does float, and snaps your head when you jam the trottle, what more do you need.

As many of you know by now I bought my first Checkmate in the fall of last year after I came across this site looking for information. Chris was kind enough to answer some questions concerning Checkmates. I become a supporting member not long after that.
I went thru alot of ups and downs with problems that I encountered and I damn near give up. But the great folks on here kept helping and encouraging until I finally got the boat running like a top. So for anyone considering becoming a supporting member, just do it, you will not regret it, a ton of information is here and well worth the money.
Chris congratulations on six years and here's to many more.:cheers

As many of you know by now I bought my first Checkmate in the fall of last year after I came across this site looking for information. Chris was kind enough to answer some questions concerning Checkmates. I become a supporting member not long after that.
I went thru alot of ups and downs with problems that I encountered and I damn near give up. But the great folks on here kept helping and encouraging until I finally got the boat running like a top. So for anyone considering becoming a supporting member, just do it, you will not regret it, a ton of information is here and well worth the money.
Chris congratulations on six years and here's to many more.:cheers
Wowzers, thanks brother - I appreciate that VERY much. I answer lots of questions on and off the board and usually don't know what becomes of most of it, so I'm glad I helped and it made a difference.

And just to latch on to one of the things you mentioned. The members here really make the site what it is. I get lots of credit from everyone, which I do appreciate. But the truth is that the site's success is really a team effort. Yes that successs depends a bit on me keeping the place functioning, but moreso the site depends on the members who give of their time to answer questions and help people. And also it depends on people who just come and show their boat or tell their story.

And yes, we also depend on our supporting members, vendors and advertisers.

Without all those contributions....forgedaboutit. :D

-Chris

Thanks for the great site, and the friendly help so far. I'm still a Checkmate newb, as I bought my 79 Enchanter project at a yard sale, about eight months ago, and have just recently splashed it. The project is ongoing, but it does float, and snaps your head when you jam the trottle, what more do you need.
Well we all love those stories. Probably the most memorable one for me was illMATTics first Predictor. That was a great story and it is still one of the greatest threads here on the forums in my eyes. :thumb:

Hopefully you'll take lots of pics along the way and let us enjoy the journey. :)

-Chris

ok I know I have said this before but to add to this thread I will repeat. I found a checkmate for sale and did not know a thing about it. I seached for the name checkmate on yahoo and this site appeared before the manufacter site. After ready some threads and seeing how big the support was on the site I deceided to buy it. Well 2 years later I drove it once blew it up. But the site saved me by connecting me with Kary who is in the final stages of my over haul. Hope to have many good summers. Thanks Chris!!!:bigthumb:
Awesome. Again, I'm glad the site made a difference. I'm sure once Kary is done it'll be a one of a kind.

Thanks for sharing that story. :)

-Chris

Chris, as i've told you before, you are doing a great job running this and most don't have a clue whats involved here and time invested for all of us to play. when I was growing up had a friend with a very small checkmate, about 15' with a 95 merc, went for many rides and it was a E ticket ride for sure..later on he started drag boat racing on the east coast with a sanger hydro, I did tons of work on the boat, tested on the same body of water that I boat on today, went to the races with him...played with many "fast" boats, but none impressed me more than the checkmates I've driven over the years....19' w/454, 251 w/509 that ran 82 and now getting my 251 going again...and would not have the memories or the ambition if not for this site...thanks Rob

Rob, your story and these stories people are telling mean a lot. Really.

Basically the basis of your passion is similar to mine.

Back when I was kid, I spent most of my spring to fall weekends at my Grandparents cottage. And all my life, from as far back as I can remember, I've been boat crazy. And probably crazier than anyone in our family. They tell me when I was a toddler I would literally start jumping up and down and yell every time a boat would go by the cottage.

And at home in the city away from the lake, I had set up the lake around the house made of Legos. My Grandparents cottage was water access, so in one room I had their cottage built, along with Lego docks and some lego boats. I would also make lego outboards for the boats and write Mercury and Johnson on them in marker, just to add a little authenticity!

In another room I would have the marina, also built out of legos and complete with docks, gas pumps, you name it. And what I would do is literally pretend drive the boats back and forth to the cottage "kid style" in make believe land.

And as I was growing up, by Grandparents were kind enough to always progressively move me up through boats. So I started in a little Canadian Tire blow up dingy, then a few years later I got an old sailboat with no sail that I paddled around the bay. Then a few later they added an electric motor to the sailboat. Then a few years later I moved up to an old tin boat with a 5.5 and so on it went.

Eventually, when I was about 12 or 13 I got a seaflea and put the 5.5 on it. A few years later we upgraded the SeaFlea and also put a 7.5 on it.

Now where the Checkmate connection comes in is like this. Neighbours of ours down the lake had this beautiful cottage and you guessed it, they had a Checkmate. I think it was a TRV but I know for sure it had a 150 Merc inline six. :D :thumb:

The Check itself was a combo of red and black metal flake. And it was actually really cool as inside the boat it was all black flake with just the odd spec of red here and there. The carpet was black and the seats and vinyl was solid white. As the flake made it's way back towards the hull, it progressively got redder until it was more or less a solid red with the odd spec of black. Basically the opposite of the inside. It was one of the coolest boats I've ever seen. I'm not sure if Check did that flake fade on a regular basis back then, but I'll tell you it was stunning looking.

So for me, as a boat crazy kid, this boat was just unbelievable. So eventually I got to know the kids of this family as they also had a seaflea, so we would run the lake together in our seafleas and then once in a while their Dad would take us out for a ride in the Check. And to me at least, that boat was just a dream boat that I've never forgotten to this day. Eventually the family sold their cottage and they moved to another lake, so that's when the fun sorta came to an end so-to-speak.

Well fast forward a few years, and I actually ended up buying up the friend's old property, although by the time I got it the main cottage was torn down by a short sighted developer. But the guest cabin is still in-tact, and that is where we stay until such time as we can rebuild a main cottage once again. And this site, was literally born from within that little guest cabin while my own Checkmate sat at the dock on a rainy September day. And literally as I sat watching the rain come down, I just kept thinking how there were only a few weeks of boating left and then it would be time to shut things down for the season. And that was the real motivation for starting the site. Namely, that I wanted to swap some Check pictures and share some stories with some fellow Checkmate and boating enthusiasts during the winter off-season.

So that was how this little site came to be.

And all the other things like Endless Boating, all the old outboard and vintage boating brochures, for me is just all part of the nostalgia of remembering back to being a kid at my Grandparent's cottage and thinking about all the boats and motors that I could only dream of owning one day.

Thanks for sharing your story. :)

-Chris

Robert, thanks for sharing your story. Do you have any old pictures from back in the day that you can share? If you do, let me know and I'll work with you to get them up in our gallery.

-Chris

Actually,I do have a lot of old pics,old process snapshots and a few super 8 movies of my MX-13 and MX-14 racing days,recently converted to a DVDEven have shot of Bill Combs helping me acept a trophy in 1973.I will try to dig out all the old stuff soon. I am computer dumb,what if I UPS you all of it as a loan?You can load them and return the originals. Will that work?

Actually,I do have a lot of old pics,old process snapshots and a few super 8 movies of my MX-13 and MX-14 racing days,recently converted to a DVDEven have shot of Bill Combs helping me acept a trophy in 1973.I will try to dig out all the old stuff soon. I am computer dumb,what if I UPS you all of it as a loan?You can load them and return the originals. Will that work?
That will definately work. If you would be willing to do all that I would be most appreciative.

If you PM me, we'll work it all out, and I'll see if there's something we can do for you to return the favour. :)

-Chris

Hey Chris, Thank for the site and all you've done to keep it going through the years. I've been a boater for 30 some odd years, but this site has been a tremendous help in restoring my Exciter.

Thanks brother. I appreciate the kind words.

It's a sweet looking ride you have too, you've done a great job on it. :thumb:

I'm glad the board played a small part in helping you. :)

-Chris

from the netherlands:

gefeliciteerd!!

a littele bit my story:
i thought i had bought a boat that was nameless, no brand boat. it was going fast. no so good shape but perfect for fun on the water. they sold it to me as the name of the maimi dealer is the brand of the boat. i did not believe it. so searching on the internet. and i found chris his site in 2003.
he told me it was an checkmate senator. the internet also told me there was an german importer who was importing checkmates. he went bankrupt after 4 years. and that was the end of checkmate in europe.

i am more a reader than a poster, but the joy isn't less!

thanks for the past time!!

Thanks for sharing your story helmich. :)

It's amazing to hear all the stories of how the board has helped and played a roll. It's really nice to hear. For me, it's still all hard to believe really, as I still think of the board as, just our little "Checkmate place".

I haven't heard of too many current Checkmate dealers outside of North America, but I believe there is still one in Kuwait believe it or not. I'm not sure if it's an actual dealer there, or just a company that orders Checkmates on a regular basis.

Coop can probably clarify on that one.

-Chris

there was a time (two years ago) i was serously thinking of to import new and second hand checkmates into europe. the basis would be the cheaper outboards models first. the prices of 2hand boats in the us is still 40 to 55 procent of the price they ask in europe. also the fall of the dollar vs euro is good for doing some import from the US.

it ended by the import taxes, insurance, transportation en CE certification. the importtaxes for example has been raised the last 3 years bij 25%.
the current oil prices wil do the rest in the eurozone in the market for speed and skiboats.
and believe it or not, the "sloep" are really hot canal boats overhere. (former rescue boats of big ships; it looks like) so the dutch market of fast boats is going dead.

it's an issue that keeps running in my mind...

Last edited:
there was a time (two years ago) i was serously thinking of to import new and second hand checkmates into europe. the basis would be the cheaper outboards models first. the prices of 2hand boats in the us is still 40 to 55 procent of the price they ask in europe. also the fall of the dollar vs euro is good for doing some import from the US.

it ended by the import taxes, insurance, transportation en CE certification. the importtaxes for example has been raised the last 3 years bij 25%.
the current oil prices wil do the rest in the eurozone in the market for speed and skiboats.
and believe it or not, the "sloep" are really hot canal boats overhere. (former rescue boats of big ships; it looks like) so the dutch market of fast boats is going dead.

it's an issue that keeps running in my mind...
Well, you could try just importing one, and then if it doesn't sell, you could always just keep it for yourself. If it does sell for a bit of a profit though, then you could import a second and do it all over again. ;) :thumb:

-Chris

LOL @ Greg! :rof:

Thank you sir. I appreciate the kind comments.

And it means a lot that you respect my smilie recruiting abilities. :D :bounce: :surf::thumb::banana::cheers

Back