• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate Hellcat?

SweetK

I just read the following from Chrysler:

"You Can Now Hellcat Whatever You Want with Mopar’s 707-HP Hellcrate Engine"

"Mopar-loving horsepower fanatics can finally stop chasing wreckers: The iconic 707-hp Hellcat V-8 engine is now available as a crate engine, with a warranty. No need to go yank one of the supercharged engines out of a crashed Dodge Challenger or Charger SRT Hellcat! Fiat Chrysler has officially debuted the Hellcrate engine at the 2017 SEMA show in Las Vegas. As if the occasion needed more pomp or circumstance, the automaker’s Mopar parts and services division stuffed the Hellcrate into a 1970 Plymouth Superbird “tribute.” But forget that, as cool as it is, since we’re talking about a 707-hp engine that you can purchase (for $19,530) and combine with a plug-and-play engine management setup ($2195) and bolt into whatever the hell you want without worry. ..."

Whose is going to have the first Checkmate? Corey is this you?

I just read the following from Chrysler:

"You Can Now Hellcat Whatever You Want with Mopar’s 707-HP Hellcrate Engine"

"Mopar-loving horsepower fanatics can finally stop chasing wreckers: The iconic 707-hp Hellcat V-8 engine is now available as a crate engine, with a warranty. No need to go yank one of the supercharged engines out of a crashed Dodge Challenger or Charger SRT Hellcat! Fiat Chrysler has officially debuted the Hellcrate engine at the 2017 SEMA show in Las Vegas. As if the occasion needed more pomp or circumstance, the automaker’s Mopar parts and services division stuffed the Hellcrate into a 1970 Plymouth Superbird “tribute.” But forget that, as cool as it is, since we’re talking about a 707-hp engine that you can purchase (for $19,530) and combine with a plug-and-play engine management setup ($2195) and bolt into whatever the hell you want without worry. ..."

Whose is going to have the first Checkmate? Corey is this you?

Cool idea but it might be quite some time (or never) before it ends up in a boat. Questions like headers/exhaust and will the cam work in a marine application to prevent reversion are just the start, what drive are you going to bolt it up to? Given what you can cheaply get out of a new LS or even an old BB in marine applications, only 707HP is also a bit of an issue.

I thought about those things and you are absolutely correct. Cooling, exhaust, and finding a bullet proof outdrive are indeed a problem, but after reading the LS project from Corey331, I almost believe anything is possible. You may have to de-tune it a bit but losing 600 lbs with around 700 HP for the "bargain price" of 20K is an interesting concept. Perhaps the guys at OMC or Mercruiser will get some ideas:banana:

Seeing those vids on YouTube about those engines; I am a big fan. And for 20k I would go for the 2 engine option. Let checkmate make a Nice 36ft 7,5 beam hull and I am in😉

The drive is not a problem. A mercruiser or an Imco can easily handle that much power. The drive bolts to the crankshaft via a coupler so all you would need is the correct bolt patern on the flange. Piece of cake! For headers all you need is a exhaust gasket and have someone waterjet you a flange. Have someone like Lightning make you a set of double walled stainless water jacketed headers. Electronics are a store bought item. You would just need to fab up some mounts and adapters and it should all work as planned. When you were all done you would only have about $40,000 in it.

Oh Yeah, You will still need a drive unit and steering. Lets add about another $20,000 for that and all the accessories. Does not sound like such a good deal anymore does it?

You go to the lake, happy as a clam, until a guy with a 800 hp big block chevy engine that he thru 5 to 10 grand into blows you into the weeds.

For that kind of money I would much rather have 2 400 hp Verados hanging on the back. Much simpler. I guess I am getting lazy in my old age. Skip

Being deep into the Mopar hobby as i am, the thought of marine-izing a modern Hemi has run thru my head on many occasions! Not necessarily a Hellcat Hemi, but more reasonably a 5.7 or 6.4 (392) Hemi, 395hp and 485hp respectively. I was hoping maybe Illmor would have done a marine Hemi like they did with their marinized Dodge Viper V-10's! Not every application needs a BBC. In a perfect world (where i was filthy rich LOL :D) i would find a way to do a 5.7 of 6.4 Hemi for my Enchanter instead of an LS!! But, for now i'll stick with my SBC, she's been a good motor, i'm not a GM guy at all but I can't complain to much about my old Merc 350.

and you thought a LS install was expensive !!!!

X2
Only way this will happen is if some crazy rich Mopar fanatic decides price is no issue and goes for it.

Merc and everyone else is heading for LS power, so the high cost on getting LS in your boat is only going to come down and make all the other choices crazy.

Back