• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Help for a beginner with an 87 Eluder

Kbedek

I need some very detailed help as I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing. I have started what I thought would be a simple job of replacing the carpet. I pulled up the old stuff and found that the back of one of the front seat boxes was rotted. I have marine plywood, I also purchased some bondo fiberglass resin and cloth. Will this be sufficient to fix the issue? If so, how exactly do I go about fixing it? If not, what else specifically do I need? Please keep in mind that this is my first boat and I have no fiberglass experience and no real repair experience either. I will try to post pics later. Thanks for any help!

There is a Restoration Discussion section (in this forum)where a bunch of guys have posted their work over the years. Pictures, materials used, quantities, time it took.

Have a look, I think you will find the answers to your questions and then you will have a very big desission to make and a some new questions that we can help you with.

The biggest question about your boat is how much water damaged wood is in it and where is it located. It is very unlikely that the one seat box is the only problem. If it is the only issue, you just won the lottery!

Good Luck

I need some very detailed help as I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing. I have started what I thought would be a simple job of replacing the carpet. I pulled up the old stuff and found that the back of one of the front seat boxes was rotted. I have marine plywood, I also purchased some bondo fiberglass resin and cloth. Will this be sufficient to fix the issue? If so, how exactly do I go about fixing it? If not, what else specifically do I need? Please keep in mind that this is my first boat and I have no fiberglass experience and no real repair experience either. I will try to post pics later. Thanks for any help!

Check this thread out:
http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17415&highlight=eluder

Back