• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

just wondering

dream4ta

How much do you think it would cost roughly to have a boat resprayed with new/different gel coat from checkmate? Say like a 283.. Any guesses?

When I called them about the 2800 that had a repaint on it already and asked to have it redone in gel coat Kip indicated not worth it. Just use automotive paint. Not much help but passed on what I know.

Thanks Chris! Just looking for thoughts. The Enforcer is automotive paint and i dont mind it. Just thinking openly pretty much! I wont be ready to spray anything for a couple more years at a minimum anyway!

How much do you think it would cost roughly to have a boat resprayed with new/different gel coat from checkmate? Say like a 283.. Any guesses?

When I started my 22ft Vision I wanted to have it re-gelled ---- to have it done bow to stern top to bottom all original color and no fabrication and not including the new rub rail {and there was no previous paint on it to strip} I was quoted over 20,000.

Obviously we went with paint and I couldn't be happier.
A well done paint job with either awl grip or imron can be just fine and look great for years.

Thanks Kurt! Is Gel just that hard to work with? To just buy the materials i didnt think it was any more than a good paint.. I know it requires a lot of sanding and buffing when sprayed instead of laid in a mold but i guess i didnt figure that much..

Thanks Kurt! Is Gel just that hard to work with? To just buy the materials i didnt think it was any more than a good paint.. I know it requires a lot of sanding and buffing when sprayed instead of laid in a mold but i guess i didnt figure that much..

I think its just because its so hard to work with but I'm not really sure because I don't know how to do it --- my quote was for having a shop do all the work and the labor was probably 85% of the bill.

I'd like to try my hand at gel coat some day.

I was considering doing one of the Enforcer's in gel myself to try and see how i could do. But one of these days (prolly more like 10 years or so) we would like a bigger boat. And not many of them have the gel we would like on them..

Well there you go, they always say practice makes perfect. 10 years ought a get ya there. Lots of practice time and who knows, if you get a knack for doing it, you might have a nice side business. Jim

Well there you go, they always say practice makes perfect. 10 years ought a get ya there. Lots of practice time and who knows, if you get a knack for doing it, you might have a nice side business. Jim

Haha as nice as that would be something tells me that trying to do a 28-30 footer would kill me off!

Oh come on, you're still a young un. You get to be an old fart like me that's when you have to really think about it.:thumb:Jim

I do love spending money!! Tell you what.. When its time to start spraying and sanding on an Enforcer ill let you know and you can come on down! Have a visit with you son at school and stop on out for a few cold ones and some poking fun at this out of shape kid sanding! :bigthumb:

Back