• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

My Diplomat says its rated for 140hp, but...

kas83

I've been doing some searching to figure out my blown/scored Johnson 140. It seems with a good build they will put out around 150. I've also been looking at a Merc, but its either 115 or 150. I just dunno what to do. Am I good going up to 150? Maybe even more? Or should I stick at or below the 140 rating?. Not looking to have the fastest boat around or anything, but want some good power. This will affect the rebuild, if I decide to take that route, or my search for a different engine.

You'll be fine with a 150, I had one on a Predictor which is only rated for 125, the Dip is the same length but a wider beam, so it should float a little better.

My 83 is 17ft. I've been looking around and it seems weight won't be an issue since the newer 150s weigh less than what I currently have anyway. I'm thinking I might ditch the old Johnson and go for a 150.

I believe in 1982 Mercury came out with the 150 V6 called the Black Max and also in 1982 they has their inline 6 that was rated for 115. If you do some research, you'll find that 1982 and up (1988) inline 115s are actually 150s. So you can find a nice inline 115, stay under your horse power rating for insurance purposes and be a little bit of a sleeper at the same time. But just for another piece of information they did make a 135hp Black max.
http://saginaw.craigslist.org/app/4532851238.html
00f0f_fG6O1TKyoUm_600x450.jpg

But I'd prefer the inline just because they look and sound cool.
http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/boa/4562622132.html
00q0q_hceclerKpzZ_600x450.jpg

I had a 17 spyder that I replaced the 140 with a 175 faststrike and it handled the little bit of added weight and power great. At least go for the 150 if you repower. My 2 cents anyway good luck on the new repower

Id stop short of putting a 300 on it but just because those are pretty heavy. Otherwise don't worry abou tit.

Isn't the diplomat a foot longer than the predictor?

Nope, it's an inch longer and 6 inches wider. Rounding may make it appear the Dip is a foot longer on titles, because the Predictor is 16'6" and the Diplomat is 16'7". So in some states the Predictor may get a rounded 16' length and the Diplomat 17'.

My insurance guy said I was fine if I went to a 150 on my Diplomat. In the end I went for a 130 Yamaha from a 115 tower of power. I was happy with the choice. The inline was a terrible motor on the boat. Loud, poor fuel economy, poor handling and much slower.

And it all depends on what 150 you put on. A newer Opti or 4 stroke or 3.0L would be really heavy. Any 2.5L would probably be fine, or the 2.0L 135 Merc would be a good choice if you were trying to stay under 140.

I'm just trying to make a game plan for the restoration at this point. I know what this current engine needs, and am seeing what options exist. Part of me wants to rebuild the ole 140 and keep it 'original'. Another part of me wants an updated, more efficient setup.

I know I absolutely can not go brand new, which diesnt bother me. Also, tearing one down and rebuilding doesn't bother me either. Ultimately, the motor is the last item I'll need, but most likely my largest expense, so I gotta plan ahead. Thanks for all the info so far.

Hey guys, bringing this one back from the dead. This spring, I found an 83 Phantom with a good 115 Johnson, got the motor, boat n trailer for $700. I pulled my 140 and threw the 115 on, got everything ready as far electrical, and put it in the water mid August. I've probably put 7-8 hours on the setup, and really am enjoying how the boat rides, and how well that old Johnson performs. It needs a tune up, a full tank of fresh gas instead of gallons mixed with old, and a different prop, but it'll do 42 mph per gps, and cruises at a decent 25 mph sipping gas lol. It struggles a little getting on plane, which I attribute to tune-up and gas.

Anyways, I'm going to commit to rebuilding the 140, since I have everything needed to interchange between the 2, but ultimately since I have 2 great lower units. Problem I'm running into is no one in the area seems to be willing to work on it. I've got the knowledge to do the rebuild, just don't have any time with driving truck. Can someone point me in the direction of a place that could do it? Location isn't super important as I could pull the power head and take it with in the semi when I'm going thru a certain area. Thanks in advance and sorry about the long winded post.

Another rescue from time gone by. The 140 is still sitting in the garage, and will probably stay there. I have a solid 50 hours of running from last summer on the 115. It does great on the river, pulls a tube just fine, and cruises perfect for my liking. I replaced the entire fuel line, bulb, filters, new plugs and had the carb set. But I need to go thru it, clean everything up, and pickup a new prop after damaging mine on the last outing. The only lingering complaint is it still struggles to get on plane, although it's way better than when I first started. Is this purely a power issue? Or do I need to change the pitch? I don't know the current pitch, but at 42 mph per GPS, it's turning ~5100 rpm wot. Thanks ahead of time for any insight.

Back