• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

new checkmate owner with questions!

Eangelo93

hello all!just purchased my first boat 2003 checkmate ZT220 BR. also know as the ZT230. its powered by a 5.7 (213hrs) with a alpha one 1.62 gear ratio. I'm currently running 50mph trimmed up at 4800. Prop is a Michigan wheel rapture 21P. can any one with one of these boats and power plants tell me if thats normal speed or should i be closer to 55. I apologize if I'm in the wrong area.

I replied to you on your Facebook post, hopefully that helps a little. I have a Bravo 1 on mine plus it weighs in at 2850 lbs, I believe.
There are a lot of good people on here that should be able to help out.

Michigan wheel never made a fast prop in my experience, try any other brand and you'll probably see a gain

This isn't always the case with every boat but it will give a general idea of where you're at
It works out with my boat with 15% slip almost to the mph
Pitch X rpm divided by 1056 divided by gear ratio = mph
That puts you at 58.9 mph theoretical speed
Without knowing your actual (gps) speed we can't figure slip
Assuming 15% slip puts you at 50 mph
And assuming your speedo is accurate which is doubtful

Last edited:
With only 4800 RPM it sounds like you might be able to drop 1 # in pitch.

I'm currently in a test mode with my 350 MPI/Bravo 1 powered Caravelle. I found out today that it won't quite pull a 21p. I was able to hit 55 MPH @ 4600. The MPI has a power range up to 5000 so I'm going to drop 1 to 2 pitch numbers and/or put a smaller diameter prop on it like an Enertia.

Monday I'll know more as one of the prop dealers is loaning me several props to try.

Back