• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Out of Storage

undecided

Hi Everyone

So last weekend I got my boat out of storage, the shop ran the hose test and she seemed to be working fine. So I pulled her from the Shop and put in at New Buffalo, MI launch. Took for a spin around the Lake, and noticed I was the only boat except for this Big Orange Launch coming at me with blue lights.
They boarded the vessel and performed a USCG safety inspection. The only item I did not have was a throwable PFD.
They gave a Yellow slip, and said I would be notified with in 30 if I was going to get a ticket.

So just a word of caution, even if you are only going out for a quick test, make sure all of the safety equipment is on board.
Maybe everyone else knows this little tidbit of info, but being new to boating, I just learned a new lesson.

Joe

That stinks

Been boarded a bunch of times in my area, never got a ticket just warnings. One Trip was prop testing, there was nothing in the boat, not even a rope. We where just out 5-10 min runs to see what prop we liked, that was funny the guy said i could make my quota for the month here and now and Then let us go.

Been boarded a bunch of times in my area, never got a ticket just warnings. One Trip was prop testing, there was nothing in the boat, not even a rope. We where just out 5-10 min runs to see what prop we liked, that was funny the guy said i could make my quota for the month here and now and Then let us go.

Yep, some of them are Cool. I still have about 20 days before I find out if I get a ticket.

:pissed:

Yep, some of them are Cool. I still have about 20 days before I find out if I get a ticket.

:pissed:
"What're you gonna do, tickle me man"?
(Cheech and Chong's wedding album-Earache my eye)
Screw em. Worst case scenario if somebody has the energy to slap your wrists is you lose a couple bucks.

"What're you gonna do, tickle me man"?
(Cheech and Chong's wedding album-Earache my eye)
Screw em. Worst case scenario if somebody has the energy to slap your wrists is you lose a couple bucks.

Yea, they were in Michigan City and I was quite a few miles north, I assume they HEARD me on the lake, being the only boat out that day. They made it a point to find me.

Yes, Good Stuff, As Good as Chappelle Show of 2004.
Nothing like catching " Up In Smoke" on opening weekend at the drive-in as a 15 yr old with my older brother and cousin, smoking terrible/nasty dope from a hollowed out coconut pipe, with a bottle of stolen Boones Farm Wild Strawberry wine to wash it all down! :sssh:

I got pulled over last year myself, Had a boat load of people on board. I grossly under estimated the planning power of my new 24zt. So admittedly I did look liked a rookie leaving the ramp area. I see the sheriff just out side of the ramp area. But with so much people on board (5) and just wanting to get the ride over, I nail it (forgetting I just saw the cop 10 seconds earlier). struggling to plane, I finally get going just to be chased down 300 yrds down stream.
Cop is like are you new around here and to boating, he starts reading me the riot act. I'm "No, I've used this ramp for 25 yrs and I know the rules". I just forgot you were there and just want to end this ride asap. Tells me BlalBaBla about starting on plane to near the shore line. I look at the shore, its a seawall next to a powerplant with 8 ft tires hanging over the side. He proceeds with the safety check, I pass (thought I was going to get giged for having the PFD's still the packages of four each. At the end he tells me I'm on his short list now, he'll be watching and he'll at this post all summer. I shook in my flip flops:p. Finally cleared and took my 75 yr old mom, sister, nieces on a nice 65ish mph 45 min run with a stop for dinner in between. :thumb:

Yes, Good Stuff, As Good as Chappelle Show of 2004.
Nothing like catching " Up In Smoke" on opening weekend at the drive-in as a 15 yr old with my older brother and cousin, smoking terrible/nasty dope from a hollowed out coconut pipe, with a bottle of stolen Boones Farm Wild Strawberry wine to wash it all down! :sssh:

I got pulled over last year myself, Had a boat load of people on board. I grossly under estimated the planning power of my new 24zt. So admittedly I did look liked a rookie leaving the ramp area. I see the sheriff just out side of the ramp area. But with so much people on board (5) and just wanting to get the ride over, I nail it (forgetting I just saw the cop 10 seconds earlier). struggling to plane, I finally get going just to be chased down 300 yrds down stream.
Cop is like are you new around here and to boating, he starts reading me the riot act. I'm "No, I've used this ramp for 25 yrs and I know the rules". I just forgot you were there and just want to end this ride asap. Tells me BlalBaBla about starting on plane to near the shore line. I look at the shore, its a seawall next to a powerplant with 8 ft tires hanging over the side. He proceeds with the safety check, I pass (thought I was going to get giged for having the PFD's still the packages of four each. At the end he tells me I'm on his short list now, he'll be watching and he'll at this post all summer. I shook in my flip flops:p. Finally cleared and took my 75 yr old mom, sister, nieces on a nice 65ish mph 45 min run with a stop for dinner in between. :thumb:
+
NICE!!

Are you guys going to the CM owners rally this year?

Yes, I know I will be down there. Not sure if I'll be a solo act or duet. If I am flying solo, I'll be a Dock rat. If there is two of us, I will get a room, the whole 9 yards. Cheers

Back