• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Please any one help! 97 zt 280 powers up wont turn over ...sometimes

Stb103

I have a 97 zt280. Single 502 mpi. 352 hours. Boat starts 95% of the time. Occasionally it wont turn over. Has power but does nothing. I had a new solenoid installed, did it again. Sometimes a couple hours later it fires right up, sometimes the next day. Has 4 new batteries. Same thing. New starter and alternator....Same thing. Bypassed the tether kill switch, same thing. Jumped the ignition, nothing. Tried jumping the starter solenoid, nothing. Next day fires right up. Maybe oil pressure switch? Always in neutral, even played with it moved it and nothing. I bring it to a mechanic and of course every time it fires up abd wont do it. Only at the worst possible time on the lake. Reset breaker on solenoid, nothing. I can't figure it out, and it wont do it at either marina i brought it to.

I had something like that. Ended up being a corroded ground on the starter. It was very frustrating and would only happen when i really needed it to start.

I think Keith is onto something. I would also check the main wiring harness connection for any corrosion.

which solenoid ? they have 2 one on starter, other on bracket and call it a slave solenoid(no idea what the purpose is for the slave but do screw up and cause this, my 251 that had been eliminated..

The solenoid was replaced in the bracket on the top of the motor. If the starter they installed is new shouldbt the solenoid be new too?

I think Keith is onto something. I would also check the main wiring harness connection for any corrosion.

Same thing was going on for me, 94 convinsor, I found it to be the main wiring harnesss plug in on the top of the engine, tried everything, then I wiggled around the wire harness plug in and all was good,it still does it now and then. This winter I will take it apart and hopefully just have to clean the connections.

Ty i will check it. I assumed the oil pressure switch because it only seens to do it after running it abd warmed up, next day when cold fires right up

Back