• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Tight steering 1982 Diplomat I/O Tru Course

grimesd98

I'm new to the forum and just purchased my first boat...a 1982 Checkmate Diplomat I/O 3.8L V6 with OMC Stringer 800. It needed work including rebuilding the entire upper unit with new gears [$$$]. Also some minor engine work. But it's running! However, the steering is very tight. I have the service manual and have some ideas of what to look for. This has the Tru Course steering system (not hydrualic). I've read how to adjust the tension and I think I can do that. I also read of ways to adjust the trim tab if the steering is difficult in one direction more than the other. But I'm looking for ideas/recommendations for lubricating cable or any other things to look for.

The steering was really tight at first. I loosened the tension and it got much better. But after reading the service manual, I think I loosened it too much. There is supposed to be just 1/2" of play in the cable. I had much more. When I tighten that back up, it get's a little stiff again.

Let me know what you recommend.

Thanks so much!
Dan

So the Tru Course steering doesn’t have that. There is a cable/pulley type system. There is a pulley type thing behind the steering wheel and an identical one behind the engine connected to the gear that turns the drive. I’ve seen all of these tips for lubricating and cleaning the cable/piston type systems. But it doesn’t seem to apply.

Back