• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Unknown Checkmate

Z06

I was browsing through my local Boat Trader and came across this Checkmate I have never heard of. It was an "1980 EXCELSIOR" I had a 235 on it and it said 60+ Does anybody have any other info on this boat that I have not heard of?
eyes.gif

Checkmates may not be the fastest boats on the water, but they are the nicest looking!

I have heard of them, did a quick search and came up with nothing, nada, zip. I would like to see what one looks like.

rooster_3.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+

It could also be a typo...

Give us a link and let's look at it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Webmaster
Checkmate-Boats.com-The Fanatics Home!

I sent Chris a Pic so he should have them up, but here is some info that came from the add. "Year: 1980
Make: CHECKMATE
Model: EXCELSIOR
Model Detail:
Price: $8,500
Length: 20 feet
Date: 1/28/03
Ad Type: Private
Comment: Trim & tilt, Jack plate, Ski Tripod, mooring & storage tops, 235 HP Evinrudes, spare prop, E-Z Loader trailer, 60 mph+, foot throttle" Who knows...
eyes.gif

Checkmates may not be the fastest boats on the water, but they are the nicest looking!

Yeah, I've seen that one around. I don't know much about the name, but it seems overpriced.

Webmaster

Thanks for getting the pic up Gus! Now we can find out what it is!!
thumb.gif

Hey Z06 Vette man,
That looks like an Exciter to me.I had an 83 with a 260 merc. a couple years back. I believe the Enchanters were 21' & the Enticers were 16 1/2'. Erik
thumb.gif

thumb.gif
Thanks for all the imput. I was pretty such somebody made a mistake and with all your reasoning, I think the owner or Auto Trader is a little wacked. I have seen stuff like that. They had a Ferrari 550 Maranello in there and it said 23 000 and it was there forever until the finally changed it to 235 000. Weird...
eyes.gif

DARN AUTOTRADER.CA Got me excited on a unknown Checkmate, and we found out it's just a typo. I think we should all do the adds for them. Agree...
thumb.gif

It seems overpriced. For 8500 bucks you should be able to get a little more for your money, especially in the middle of winter.
icon_wink.gif

Webmaster

8500 isn't too too bad... It might be in great condition so thats why the price might be as high as it is or maybe the seller is on drugs. I could buy JW's Pro-Max off him for around that!
icon_biggrin.gif

I was more or less talking about the actually motor, not the hull. JW, what would you either parts separatly for?
icon_confused.gif

Yeah, and what's a 1980 Johnnyrude 235 worth on the open market? Maybe 2000 bucks completely rebuilt? Wait until the summer Z, you can do way better. I've been watching the Checkmate market for years. When July/August rolls around there will be a bunch of really nice late 80's and early 90's boats all priced just above and below 10 G's. Watch and see...

Webmaster

I don't plan on buying that boat. I am waiting for the perfect boat to roll in, but I want to have it for the summer, not after. JW's Pulsare would be nice...
icon_biggrin.gif

Back