• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

valves

I own a 1996 253 convincer with a 454 mag efi mp with a pro-charger m-1sc running 5 lbs. of boost. I wanted to know if I should change the head gaskets and the exhaust valves? Some people tell me I already have iconnel exhuast valves others say I don't. I had the computer reprogramed, the boat runs great, I just want it to last. I have done 82mph on gps at 5300 rpms running a 27 pitch quad 4 prop.

I own a 1996 253 convincer with a 454 mag efi mp with a pro-charger m-1sc running 5 lbs. of boost. I wanted to know if I should change the head gaskets and the exhaust valves? Some people tell me I already have iconnel exhuast valves others say I don't. I had the computer reprogramed, the boat runs great, I just want it to last. I have done 82mph on gps at 5300 rpms running a 27 pitch quad 4 prop.

With 5 psi I think your fine. If you want to turn the boost up then, yes my need to look into what is in your motor. My Blown 509 I ran Cometic (sp?) head gaskets And I had a Dart block with dart heads. THe block had a little 4 tang on the block (two for each head) in the lifter valley and the heads where tapped to put a bolts where there was no head bolts on top over the cyl. this took care of any chance of blowing a head gasket. I ran 9 psi with a static CR of 8.0:1 all on pump gas. For Valves, I ran Manley Pro flows.

I agree with the above.. Your motor did not come stock with Inconel valves. I am a firm believer in using Inconel valves for marine applications. They should be stock in any peformance motor. But, as we know, Mercruiser cuts corners to maximize profits for themselves. So, in my opinion, any supercharged motor should be running Inconels and good head gaskets. The factor that would determine whether you absolutly need the improvements is how you run the boat. If you run it wide open for a long stretch, you NEED good valves and gaskets. If you only open it up occasionally, maybe you can get away from it for a while. While a supercharged motor is at W.O.T., the combustion chamber produces alot more heat than does a naturally aspirated motor. Thereby the need for Inconel valves and gaskets.

Back